Carers First

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I have been signposted to this website by my council. I've had a quick look around it and it looks to be quite useful especially if you don't know much about the caring role and what help is available.

They are a charity providing one to one advice and support services for carers living in Essex, Lincolnshire, Medway, Southend-on-Sea and London Boroughs Waltham Forest, Hackney and Haringey.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes they are, most centres are run by a carers charity such as Crossroad, Princess Royal Trust and Carers Trust. I think these set up in Kent and are spreading their wings. Thank goodness I say , carers need all the support they can get.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
ive just looked at it and we have unpaid carers support which has changed their name so not listed. nothing in my city from the website. in looks like the small towns in hampshire over than portsmouth. sounthampton is an unitary authority so dont come under hampshire.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
@jennifer1967 sadly not everywhere has one. I think it depends in charities can get LA funding to support carers in the area and if it’s a small LA then the chances are they won’t . This is really shocking as carers are everywhere and need help everywhere. Also Carers UK don’t have a very good search facility, I find it a bit clunky so even though I always add their link, I would usually look up the local area on google. And like all these things some have amazing facilities and support and others have very little to offer.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@jennifer1967 sadly not everywhere has one. I think it depends in charities can get LA funding to support carers in the area and if it’s a small LA then the chances are they won’t . This is really shocking as carers are everywhere and need help everywhere. Also Carers UK don’t have a very good search facility, I find it a bit clunky so even though I always add their link, I would usually look up the local area on google. And like all these things some have amazing facilities and support and others have very little to offer.
we have Unpaid Carer Support. it was carers assc i think and changed its name. they arrange speakers and trips of interest. of course i cant take part in any of that but do get the monthly newsletter just to rub salt into it.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
we have Unpaid Carer Support. it was carers assc i think and changed its name. they arrange speakers and trips of interest. of course i cant take part in any of that but do get the monthly newsletter just to rub salt into it.
Yes that was the real issue when I worked at a carers centre, all good and well arranging these things but carers are too busy caring. Getting the LA to understand that was like hitting your head against a brick wall if we asked for funding for ways to allow carers a way to attend sessions and have their LO cared for whilst they did that.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Yes that was the real issue when I worked at a carers centre, all good and well arranging these things but carers are too busy caring. Getting the LA to understand that was like hitting your head against a brick wall if we asked for funding for ways to allow carers a way to attend sessions and have their LO cared for whilst they did that.
im actually housebound so cant go to their events. they really dont cater for disabled carers. it doesnt get linked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfly