Care home help

Signet

Mar 7, 2024
Oh my gosh. I have a very similar situation. My brother has autism and learning difficulties. Mum still thinks she is his main carer and she hasn't been for several years. I am at the stage of visiting care homes and am finding it very difficult. As you say, you are not alone. đź©·
Hi Andrea, Oh it is nice to read that someone is dealing with a similar situation to us. Most people we speak with say " oh this is a very complex situation"!, but know one has an answer as yet. My Mum is better when I visit on my own. If she sees my brother ,it triggers the I'm coming home soon talk. It is very distressing for me and my husband, and extremely confusing for my brother. We are waiting for mum's assessment, and until then we are in limbo. I feel so guilty when I have to leave her at the door of the home. It breaks my heart. I know my late Dad would be absolutely heartbroken to see Mum now. It doesn't matter how many people tell me, we are doing a good job. I still feel like the evil traitor. Being mum's LPA, has made me feel even worse. It's a power I would rather not have at this moment in time.

Signet

Mar 7, 2024
My mum has just been accepted into a care home. She went for a taster day and she was very difficult for the staff to the point that they weren’t sure if they could take her. Thankfully I spoke about this to our elderly mental health nurse who prescribed a very low dose of lorazepam to help with her anxiety and fear. On her next visit she was calm and happy. Her lovely personality traits could be seen by the staff and the residents. I feel so sad that I didn’t know about this drug for the last 6 years when her daily agitation could have been cured so easily. I know some people are very against tranquilisers because they are seen as subduing people to make life easier for themselves. I probably would at one time been in agreement with that opinion. Now, however, I realise that whatever it takes to get rid of fear, anxiety and agitation is actually kinder and more humane to the person suffering any form of dementia. Their quality of life I think should be dictated by how peaceful they feel rather than our concept of the freedom to express their personality without interference. My mum has now been accepted into a lovely home. However I am fretting over how we actually initially leave her there. I was thinking that perhaps if she is left for a week or two without seeing me or my father, she might have to adjust, as harsh as that sounds, and then may accept our visits without associating us with her former home. I would be grateful for any feedback on this please. We are in the dark as sadly there’s no manual to guide us.
Hi, I am very interested in your view on Lorazepam, and completely agree that it is kinder to negate the ment
al torture, than to allow Dementia to run riot over our loved ones. We are going through the same nightmare as you, wondering how we will ever get to the point of having to leave my Mum in a home. How many times lately have we said, there is no manual to guide us.