Care Home Fees

SAVANNA101

Jun 19, 2024
My mum is 89 with stage 4 dementia and is in nursing care and near the end of her life

She has been in her current home for 5 years and new owners took over in March 2024 and there has never been a third party top not and i have never signed a contract with them.

At present she pays a contribution from her pension of £149 per week which has been assessed by the local authority.

She has no savings or assets

The home contacted me a week ago saying that they want her to pay an additional £160 per week on top of the current £149 per week - she cannot afford this.

Can a home just increase the fees like that ?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Your mum can’t pay her own top up fees, only a third like a family or friend can do this. If the home have changed their fees then the LA ( whose I assume are paying for her care) either need to increase their payments or find an alternative accommodation for her. It might be worth calling the helpline for individual information.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
They can ask, I'll stay polite and say no. Refer the increases to the local authority, not your problem.
Please remember the line, agree to anything, but sign nothing. You are not liable until you put your name on paper.
Horrible thing to say but I know, it is what it is. K

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
"The home contacted me a week ago saying that they want her to pay an additional £160 per week"-the care home will be well aware that top ups can only be paid by a third party so why are they asking your Mum to pay?

Your Mum she should be contributing all of her pension/pensions, except a small amount which is known as PEA. PEA is currently £30.15 in England but slightly different amounts in the other 3 nations. Suggest that you check to make sure that this is all she's keeping.

If additional fees do need to be paid, it's likely that the LA will cover this additional cost as to move your Mum would not be in her best interest.

Please don't agree to anything either in writing or verbally.