Car insurance and dvla

Newanne

May 1, 2010
clitheroe
Good morning everyone, wonder if any of you have had this problem. My OH has only just been diagnosed and told he can carry on driving, reviewed in 12months. However he has to inform dvla and his insurance company. How do i get him to ring them and say, 'I have alzheimers'. When he's forgotten the meeting and what was said, he would never never say that. In his eyes he's just a bit forgetful. Any ideas???

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Newanne
You can phone DVLA and the insurance company yourself and report it. If its not reported then it would mean that the insurance would be invalid. Do you think he is still OK to drive?

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
We informed the DVLA ourselves and blamed the doctor. The DVLA contacted the doctor for details, and it went from there. We told Mum that the doctor had a ‘statutory duty’ to inform the DVLA, and although very cross about that idea, Mum accepted it.

No idea what happened with her insurance, as Dad has a blind spot with regards to her owning a car (she still does) and driving (she shouldn’t as she now has no licence; Dad says she wouldn’t try, family think she still could if she was confused enough). Dad claims she’s insured with the provider she’s used for years, but very few will insure a car owner with no licence. If we knew the company we’d inform them ourselves, but the paperwork is kept well out of sight.

Newanne

May 1, 2010
clitheroe
We informed the DVLA ourselves and blamed the doctor. The DVLA contacted the doctor for details, and it went from there. We told Mum that the doctor had a ‘statutory duty’ to inform the DVLA, and although very cross about that idea, Mum accepted it.

No idea what happened with her insurance, as Dad has a blind spot with regards to her owning a car (she still does) and driving (she shouldn’t as she now has no licence; Dad says she wouldn’t try, family think she still could if she was confused enough). Dad claims she’s insured with the provider she’s used for years, but very few will insure a car owner with no licence. If we knew the company we’d inform them ourselves, but the paperwork is kept well out of sight.
Oh my word 😱 what a difficult situation for you. It must be hard when your dad isn't willing to see the problem clearly. My heart goes out to you. The problem is there are other people on the roads. 😞😞

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
The problem is there are other people on the roads. 😞😞
This is exactly our concern. If my parents decide to ignore their own safety - albeit with Mum having no insight - any harm which comes to them is their own fault. But as you say, it’s other road users and pedestrians who could be hurt or worse.

Even more unbelievably, Dad was a police officer who worked in the traffic division for years, before taking very early retirement and going into security. He will have investigated and followed up crashes caused by an older person becoming confused or disorientated. The family simply can’t fathom why he isn’t linking his professional experience to Mum’s situation and the potential risk.

I hope you find a more satisfactory conclusion to your situation. This is all so difficult.

Newanne

May 1, 2010
clitheroe
This is exactly our concern. If my parents decide to ignore their own safety - albeit with Mum having no insight - any harm which comes to them is their own fault. But as you say, it’s other road users and pedestrians who could be hurt or worse.

Even more unbelievably, Dad was a police officer who worked in the traffic division for years, before taking very early retirement and going into security. He will have investigated and followed up crashes caused by an older person becoming confused or disorientated. The family simply can’t fathom why he isn’t linking his professional experience to Mum’s situation and the potential risk.

I hope you find a more satisfactory conclusion to your situation. This is all so difficult.
Oh collywobbles, wish I had some fine words for you to help but all I can offer is support and a vertual hug. Shocking that your dad was a police officer, think I'd be worried about his thinking too. Hope you find a solution sooner rather than later and no one gets hurt before then. ❤️❤️🤗🤗