1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Cancelling services after move into a care home

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Misstep, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Misstep

Misstep Registered User

Oct 7, 2015
    South Wales
    My mother recently moved into a care home after a sudden sharp deterioration in her dementia. We have applied for the PoA to be registered, but are waiting for this to come through. I am trying to get her phone disconnected to save her some money, but the company are refusing to do this without speaking to her. She is now far too confused to do that. I don't want her to have to pay for a service she doesn't need when we need all her money to pay the care home fees. Does anyone know what our rights are about this?

2. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    I would tell them that she has moved and does not have mental capacity and if they don't cancel it you will report them to Ofcom and no-one will be paying the bill. How unhelpful they are. The other way of doing it is to phone them on your mobile when you are with Mum and tell them again and then just get her to say 'yes' and 'no' when they ask a question with you directing her. We found BT very helpful over several issues but I don't know about other companies

3. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Ring them up and pretend to be her....I did that. It worked
    Write to them and sign it as her.....( but they might have made a note of your previous attempt.)
    Write to them and explain that Mum has Dementia and that she does not have capacity and so is unable to make decisions. If they insist on speaking to her, tell them you will be referring them to the Telecom Obudsman and that you will pay the bill until the end of the notice period, after which there will be no more payments forthcoming. If they choose to refer you to a Debt Recovery Agency advise them that you will seek legal advice.

4. Beetroot

Beetroot Registered User

Aug 19, 2015
    Wot craigmaid said. Mum moved in with me around a year ago and the sale of her home completes next week. I do her banking under the poa. I have however already cancelled the phone line by phoning and saying I'm her; I re-did her energy tarrif similarly, and I will be submitting meter readings for gas, electric and water as her too by phone. Someone once told me it's illegal, but no-one's going to care; you're not defrauding anyone.