Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think I’m done on the stash of cash @Marnie63, the 4.5 ltr Bells bottle only had £12 in it, I was fed up of counting as mostly 1p & 2p’s .. it’s going to take a few trips to the bank to get them changed up :rolleyes:

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
I think I’m done on the stash of cash @Marnie63, the 4.5 ltr Bells bottle only had £12 in it, I was fed up of counting as mostly 1p & 2p’s .. it’s going to take a few trips to the bank to get them changed up :rolleyes:
One idea, if your local supermarket has a machine to pop all loose change in ???
Fire in the change, a small donation goes to charity, a receipt then is given for you to spend in that store.
Nice little reduction on shopping bill, even if to buy cm or treat for bold pooch :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Margi29

I didn’t know the charge went to charity, but I did see that the charge was about 10%, ouch, that wouId have been over £100 :eek: I’ve too much Yorkshire to accept that :rolleyes:

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Well you may be pleased to know everyone, mums was on X factor last night !!!
She said. ' I've sung, I'm waiting to see if I get into next part, but that horrible man Simon cowell doesn't like me '

Dementia, makes you cry, and these rare times makes me cry laughing :D:eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Well you may be pleased to know everyone, mums was on X factor last night !!!
She said. ' I've sung, I'm waiting to see if I get into next part, but that horrible man Simon cowell doesn't like me '

Dementia, makes you cry, and these rare times makes me cry laughing :D:eek:

Wow. I must tune in & shout at the horrid Simon for not being nice to your lovely mum

I did lol at reading that :D:D:p:p:D

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Hi @Margi29

I didn’t know the charge went to charity, but I did see that the charge was about 10%, ouch, that wouId have been over £100 :eek: I’ve too much Yorkshire to accept that :rolleyes:
Some banks, if you are a customer, have coin counters, no charge, money directly into your account. (NatWest)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m at that point where I’m feeling overwhelmed by what I still need to do, but I can’t seem to get on and do it. So, I guilt trip myself into doing it. I arrange for people to visit so they can watch me work. So far, it’s working o_O I’ve been looking at the kitchen & breakfast room, it’s so dark & it’s never “worked”. A friend suggested coming over & between us we took down some units & filled in holes. I’m going to try to motivate to sand & paint tomorrow.... :oops: ... right now, I just want to sleep. I want to go to sleep & wake up when it’s all done & the house is sold.

I can’t believe that after not even a month the agents are talking of dropping the price by £10k :eek: I’m thinking about taking it off the market till after Christmas & shopping around for a more realistic, more web based / driven agent. They seemed a bit put out that I said I wasn’t desperate to sell :rolleyes:

On a more positive note .. I phoned my uncle & he was so pleased to hear from me, it was lovely to chat but I felt sad that apart from his children I’m the only family member to be in touch. He’s such a sweetheart, I nagged him to do his Physio (he’s broken his hip), we laughed about how medical people are the worst patients :p, but it was nice to chat with him

I then took my courage in both hands & phoned G’s widow. His funeral was so close to mums that it feels very raw talking with J. But, it ended up being lots of laughs & I'm glad I called. She said she was just so gratefully & touched that I’d made the trip (how could I not), but also that her children were so pleased I’d gone. I think that drive was my hardest, knowing it was for a funeral, so close to mums. I broke it into segments ... get to @Margi29, then find a Crematorium, I refused to think further than the next step. I remember standing there, making polite conversation, surrounded by strangers & thinking “Mum is never going to believe I did this when I tell her ..” & nearly chocking at the thought that I couldn’t tell her

I’ve then been pulled into present day baby costs :eek: Oh my ..wow :eek: I found someone selling bundles of baby girl stuff, oh, so sweet, so cute. I arranged to collect lots ( I think I’ve covered the first 6 months). I was feeling pretty smug. Bargain prices. Then the bomb shell. She had a few other items bottle warmer (ok price), but (sorry guys :rolleyes:), expressor, I nearly died at the price, but when I looked it up, that was 1/5 of the new price. Seriously... people pay that much :eek: DiL is delighted. I’m blooming broke o_O

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
I’m at that point where I’m feeling overwhelmed by what I still need to do, but I can’t seem to get on and do it. So, I guilt trip myself into doing it. I arrange for people to visit so they can watch me work. So far, it’s working o_O I’ve been looking at the kitchen & breakfast room, it’s so dark & it’s never “worked”. A friend suggested coming over & between us we took down some units & filled in holes. I’m going to try to motivate to sand & paint tomorrow.... :oops: ... right now, I just want to sleep. I want to go to sleep & wake up when it’s all done & the house is sold.

I can’t believe that after not even a month the agents are talking of dropping the price by £10k :eek: I’m thinking about taking it off the market till after Christmas & shopping around for a more realistic, more web based / driven agent. They seemed a bit put out that I said I wasn’t desperate to sell :rolleyes:

On a more positive note .. I phoned my uncle & he was so pleased to hear from me, it was lovely to chat but I felt sad that apart from his children I’m the only family member to be in touch. He’s such a sweetheart, I nagged him to do his Physio (he’s broken his hip), we laughed about how medical people are the worst patients :p, but it was nice to chat with him

I then took my courage in both hands & phoned G’s widow. His funeral was so close to mums that it feels very raw talking with J. But, it ended up being lots of laughs & I'm glad I called. She said she was just so gratefully & touched that I’d made the trip (how could I not), but also that her children were so pleased I’d gone. I think that drive was my hardest, knowing it was for a funeral, so close to mums. I broke it into segments ... get to @Margi29, then find a Crematorium, I refused to think further than the next step. I remember standing there, making polite conversation, surrounded by strangers & thinking “Mum is never going to believe I did this when I tell her ..” & nearly chocking at the thought that I couldn’t tell her

I’ve then been pulled into present day baby costs :eek: Oh my ..wow :eek: I found someone selling bundles of baby girl stuff, oh, so sweet, so cute. I arranged to collect lots ( I think I’ve covered the first 6 months). I was feeling pretty smug. Bargain prices. Then the bomb shell. She had a few other items bottle warmer (ok price), but (sorry guys :rolleyes:), expressor, I nearly died at the price, but when I looked it up, that was 1/5 of the new price. Seriously... people pay that much :eek: DiL is delighted. I’m blooming broke o_O
I thought I was the only one round here who is up at ' silly o'clock ' :eek:
Cough, splutter, cough, sneeze repeat.....

It's certainly seems a bit quick to want to reduce house price by £10k, I've not sold a house in twenty five years, so haven't much idea on just how or when price reduction starts ????
Brother dealt with mums house, I had no imput really.
I remember someone saying people don't want to buy at this time of year unless guaranteed they could be moved in by the beginning of December, so maybe you're right waiting till after Xmas ???

Welcome to the world of ' grandma ' I used to think wow too, at the prices of baby things today :rolleyes:
Got first grandson his pram, my first car was cheaper than his first pram :eek:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Sam, it is all very well 'guilt tripping' yourself into getting things done, but please remember to give yourself credit for the huge amount you have already achieved - especially in a state of grief and chronic sleep deprivation! (((hugs)))

When we sold our house, last year, we dropped the price by £5k after just a couple of weeks. The agent had thought the lower price more realistic but we had wanted to give the higher price a go as it was already near to what we wanted to get. We then had someone offer within a few days. They offered another £5k short of the asking price but agreed to meet us halfway. In the end, we got £2.5k more for the house than we paid for the flat. Taking into account the cost of moving and the things we needed done to the flat (mainly having storage added), we certainly didn't release any equity!

As a matter of interest, we sold through Purple Bricks and we very happy with them.

We had friends from my cat forum stay over on Sunday night - they come this way while driving down to the west country to see her daughter so they break the journey here - and, while it was lovely to see them, I was utterly shattered yesterday (not helped by the late night/early start combo of aqaugym) :(

The weather has taken a turn for the worse too. It has been cold and wet/damp for several days but I see it is due to warm up today and we have a sunny day forecast for tomorrow :)

(((hugs))) to all.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It does seem quick to reduce even in the current climate and the market traditionally tends to slow down over Christmas. It took a while to sell dad's house although we had regular viewings and a couple of very cheeky almost insulting offers. Some agents seem to think in these circumstances we are desperate to sell at all costs and I too took the same view as you and took our time to get a reasonable offer knowing the minimum the house was worth.We took off the market for a month over the Christmas and did a bit more painting to brighten the kitchen then in the January put on with a different agent and accepted an offer £15 less 8 weeks on. I think I remember you saying Sam that the agent quoted much higher than you thought so do you feel it is overpriced or an attractive buy me price? Perhaps the agent was just trying to get your business by doing that hence the fairly quick reduction suggestion. Do you get feedback from the agent after viewings?

I hit a motivation brick wall as well when getting dad's house ready for sale and again when clearing when it was sold...I should think it is quite common...such an intense surge of activity and concentration on getting things done then burn out.

It is fun buying baby clothes I don't have grandchildren but if that ever happens am ready to buy my wool and knitting needles although someone was telling me recently that some new mums don't like hand knitted baby cardigans:(

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi Sam
I think @love.dad.but.. has got a good point about Estate Agent pricing. Yours may well have valued high to get your custom. We have bought and sold so many properties over the years and always ask agents for a cheeky price (we are in no hurry, right person/right house may pay top dollar); price to sell within a reasonable timescale and a knock down price that will sell immediately! We then set our price accordingly.

I personally agree it is too early to reduce, as once it's reduced you cannot raise the price again. With the advent of so many house buying programmes on TV, everybody haggles like never before, so it's almost guaranteed that you will end up taking an offer anyway :(, so I don't think a £10k reduction will really achieve much. However, once a property has been on for a while, a reduction means that it will be automatically re-sent to all interested parties on websites, agents lists etc - so it does work as a bit of a refresh (but then so does listing with another agent!) Good luck. Here I am giving all this advice and my Mum's gorgeous assisted living apartment is still for sale over a year later ... bottom has fallen out of the market for 'retirement development' stylee places. Only a few more years and we will be eligible to move in :eek:.

Didn't you do well with all the baby gear? Despite your purse being so much lighter now! So, so cute. My daughter is totally career driven and I don't think she will ever have kids - she does have 2 gorgeous cats though :D. She is the world's best auntie to all her friends' children and can't resist buying the cutest stuff for them.

I am sitting here with a little warm glow as somebody local has just posted for a rollator/walker on Freecycle and I have offered them Mum's which is like new and has been sitting in my garage ever since she could no longer work it. They are so grateful and it has left me with a lovely warm fuzzy feeling. 'It is better to give than to receive'.

On that self satisfied note, I have got to get going ... hope everyone has a good day!

X

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve been trying to go to bed earlier @Margi29, but after my friend helped me out, I then went & helped her ... I was yawning my head off by 20.00, but then wide awake by 21.00 :rolleyes: Blooming typical. How’s your cold? Have you made it outdoors yet?

If I got a decent offer I wouId be out in 3 weeks, which I believe is the fastest you can get it done & that’s if their solicitor pays for private searches. It’s 11 weeks till “that date” :eek:, so I dont think it’s too close. It really depends on why people are moving. :(

Fortunately youngest & partner are sensible, she’s found various big purchases second hand. She’s also open to charity shop purchases thankfully. Unlike eldest whose partner informed me she wasn’t putting her baby in hand me downs. I’m afraid she got told to feel free to get a job & pay for the new stuff :rolleyes: Just telling youngest that I’ve seen something gets a thank you :rolleyes: Chalk n cheese :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

I do keep trying to tell myself of all I’ve done, but I don’t feel anywhere close to the “tipping” point everyone keeps telling me about. There is just so much still to do. The more I clear, the more I seem to need to do. I’m rotating through the house, so I do a room, close the door & do the next. I’m on my third rotation of the house & im taking down more shelves & shredding more old bills & charity shop boxing, but it still feels cluttered. I know it’s a lot less cluttered than it was ... but ...

The agent gave a valuation, yes at the time I thought it high, but I’ve since looked on other sites & Zoopla has a “valuation” of houses in this road. Mine is valued by them at £19k higher :eek: It’s fairly neutral decorated, the kitchen feels dark, hence my thinking of slapping a coat of paint over the walls, but it’s livable. I think anyone is going to change the kitchen & bathroom, but that’s taste rather than need. I’m expecting to drop the price once someone shows interest, but not that much so soon, especially as they will want to beat it down further :rolleyes:

I used PB to sell mine, they were brilliant. I wish I’d used them this time. The feedback was good, the approach seemed more honest, IMHO.

It’s always lovely to see people, but it can be exhausting too. A bit like needing a holiday to get over the holiday feeling :rolleyes:

It’s been really cold here, but I woke to brilliant sunshine & took Pooch out without putting on a jacket this morning. Long may it continue :D

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you go to
http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ppd/search
you can find the price paid for sales after 1995.

Just entering the post code (include space) will bring up all properties in that code, or you can narrow it down to a street in the code.It takes 2 to 3 for entries to appear on the web.

There are a few cases where the sale price is not know, these ate excluded, a common reason is when two people swap houses, even if one pays the other a consideration there is no sale value to record.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
That’s another few hours of hard labour @love.dad.but.. , it just goes on & on. However, all the shelves are down in the breakfast room & the wall units are gone. I’ve pulled out Rawls plugs & polyfiller’d the holes. Tomorrow I’ll sand it down & paint o_O I think it looks better already. It’s costing me nothing but time, as I already had the filler & I have a 10 ltr tub of white paint. Now I just need to find temporary homes for everything again :(

When selling my house I had an “offer” of 50% of the asking price :eek:, my reply wasn’t printable :p There are always a few chancers & a few nosey ones when selling :(

One couple just disappeared (having a nose in my opinion), one couple said it was the wrong area :eek: (didn’t they look at the map?) & the third said it needed too much work :eek: A new kitchen wouId be “nice”, but it’s perfectly usable, a new bathroom might be “nice”, but again it’s usable.

Im trying to do something every day, even if it’s just tidying up :D Painting the bathroom gave me a boost once it was done, I hope the same will happen when I’ve painted the breakfast room, although doing that means I have to do the kitchen too :rolleyes:

I’ve loved buying baby things for friends, I bought loads for eldest, but it was disheartening as she seemed to expect it rather than appreciate o_O This time it’s more fun as they say they want me involved ... we will see o_O, I’m a bit “once bitten ..”

I think it very much depends on the style & quality rather than the hand knitted :D

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I was more than happy with 2nd hand things, whether passed on by friends/family or purchased from charity shops etc, for my son - especially when he was growing out of things almost as soon as we put them on. He was very slow to double his birth weight but, when he finally did start to grow, he then piles the weight on very quickly!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
'It is better to give than to receive'.X

Hi @Toony Oony

Yes, I think a month is too soon to be dropping the price. As the sake is going to produce angst with the SIL, I’m in no hurry to sell :rolleyes: Although as she didn’t step inside the house from dads funeral to mums, I’ve no idea why she has such an entitled opinion. Even my brother has said she can do one. :eek: & it’s his wife :rolleyes:

I must text DiL & tell her what I have, bless her, she’s grateful that I’ve even looked, never mind bought. She’s not stressing, but I’d hate for her to go & buy lots that I’ve already bought :rolleyes:

Youngest is Godfather to several, he makes sure he sees them all at least every 3 weeks, walk in the park, playing on swings or babysitting so their parents can go on dates. Just hoping they are good to him now

I’d far rather give to someone who needs than sell something. I bumped into an old friend, her phone was giving her grief, so I pulled my old one out the drawer, charged it, chatted up brother, he reset etc & I gave it to her. It cost her a new battery, which I arranged. She wanted to pay me & I told her not to be daft. I felt good, that’s payment enough :D