Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I was more than happy with 2nd hand things, whether passed on by friends/family or purchased from charity shops etc, for my son - especially when he was growing out of things almost as soon as we put them on. He was very slow to double his birth weight but, when he finally did start to grow, he then piles the weight on very quickly!

The way I look at it ... if it was good enough for my children, then it’s good enough for their children :D They barely get any wear out of the first years clothing

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
There is nothing quite like hand knitted little baby clothes @love.dad.but.. i used to love them when mine were small, made with love...
Today I have found many of daughters friends love the handmade ones, I think perhaps because it's rare today.
Some of the cutest little hats etc... are spotted around here:p

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hand me downs were always appreciated when mine were small @Sam Luvit @Slugsta , just couldn't afford not to do it. Now daughter has her second little boy, he wears his brothers outgrown clothes, they still look like new.
Including pram :D:rolleyes:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Just put in the post code remembering to include the space else the system will not recognise it.
A 2002 two sale should be included, the house may have been unregistered when your Mum and and Dad bought it meaning it might not show, it would have been registered as part of the sale process

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
There is nothing quite like hand knitted little baby clothes @love.dad.but.. i used to love them when mine were small, made with love...
Today I have found many of daughters friends love the handmade ones, I think perhaps because it's rare today.
Some of the cutest little hats etc... are spotted around here:p

I made lots of the boys clothes .... tut husband did not approve :rolleyes:, everyone else asked where I’d bought them :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve counted up, I got 34 items & a bottle warmer for £25 ... didn't I do well :D I’m tempted to pull out the sewing machine & make a few bits myself ... it only takes time :rolleyes: @Margi29 Made with love, hopefully worn with pride :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I tried again, but only put in the postcode & county @nitram ... it worked. I’m pretty shocked at the prices. One house dropped £20k, but it had horrendous damp (still has .. but rented out & the landlord just keeps painting over each time he re let’s). Every other house has increased a lot.

Thank you, it’s been an interesting read

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Pooch sat out in the sunshine when I went out, but spent most of the day with me. Snoring while I painted.

I was feeling pretty smug as I masking taped round plugs & skirting ... until I realised Pooch had gotten curious & knocked a can of paint over ... hey ho ... I scooped it into a bag & painted the garage & garden edges

I’m much more positive today @Slugsta

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The breakfast room had its first coat of paint yesterday. I didn’t realise how dark the pale yellow was, until I’d given it a first thin white coat. It was certainly lighter in here last night

However, this morning I’ve had a revelation. This “distressed” look that’s so fashionable. I’ve decided it’s come into being by people doing a first coat, leaving lots of patches & they’ve decided that’s fashionable :rolleyes:

I have a distressed breakfast room :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Dad always told me it was better to do 3 or 4 thin coats than 1 or 2 thick coats. It takes longer to do, but it should look good when it’s finished. That’s the theory.

Despite the spilt paint, I’m enjoying the process. You either live DIY or hate it. I love it. Pooch likes it too as I’m in one place long enough for him to settle & fall asleep :D Yes, I am keeping doors & windows open to reduce any possible effects from fumes

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I hate DIY! We rush the job, don't spend enough time on careful prep, and are then disappointed with the results.

We used to do that

This time, man who paints and myself took 2.5 days on prep. 1jay not happy.... wanted paint slapped on quick

Man who paints face was a picture :D
he was horrified as he said doesn’t do slap paint on :)

he is also an ocd perfectionist like I am to a degree, but even I got a tad frustrated at the perfectness

Is there such a word - perfectness??

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
There is nothing worse than slapping on the paint, then spending the next year cringing at wobbly lines & bumps or holes. :rolleyes:

Following dads nagging .. I polyfiller, sand & paint. The first coat highlights any missed holes & bumps, so repeat, polly filler, sand & paint

If you want perfection ... use a torch against the wall & move in an arc. It highlights any further missed holes & bumps. These are the ones that will show when you have redressed the room & turn on the lights or lamps & niggle at you

That’s as far as my perfection / perfectness goes. I want a home, not a show house @2jays :D

I was going to do the second coat today, but I’m taking brother fishing instead. That & the Probate letter arrived today. It’s hit me, this is it now. :(

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I get bored by the prep although I know it does pay off but find I rush just wanting the job done. My mum was a dab hand at all things house...I have not inherited those particular genes :D however.. my strengths are in all things paperwork and being very organised and methodical when I need to be.

Good that probate has arrived one more box ticked. I can remember feeling slightly disappointed at the document.. don't know why but had imagined it would be far more official document looking!