Can I ... Should I?

DollyBird16

Sounds like a good day.
Have you seen the friends in a regularish basis or was it a omg it’s you moment.
I’ve recently rekindled an old friendship, we laugh so much and get each other.
Freezergate - eek!
I’ve defo learnt despite the behaviour carry on with routine, so get the pour a drink, dinner and on.
How wonderful to round it off with laughter, it so makes for a restful night, unless like me you stay up until silly o’clock.

MaryH

uhmm.. I am double or actually quadrupled up lol. Mom does not like the google calendar I set up for her but that helps for me to get her appointments shared with my sister and get it on her calendar since she need a lot of reminding too.

I have -
1. Paper calendar which Mom is used to seeing from a long time ago since she used to keep it for her and dad
2. Whiteboard calendar which I will erase day or 2 days after it has passed so she can orient on the date and what is coming up since she is getting days mixed up now.
3. Google Calendar
4. A google sheet which I keep all the medical contacts and next as well as last appointment. I know the duration between some appointments, I can call if none is schedule...

Synching the schedule and schedule some stuff usually takes me a half day each month.

@Sam Luvit - Freezergate sound like my experience walking in to home just after midnight on the start of my birthday to toilet overflowing and kitchen to be cleaned of broken glass still . I did not handle that as well as you did your situation.

My sister had done 7 nursing home tours and 3 retirement home tours in the last 2-3 weeks and have taken mom for the weekend with my brother in law to give me a break... She has come a long way from disappearing for 4-5 days at a time every so often leaving me holding the bag even for things she has committed too... Brother is still once a week at most and 2 hours or so if he can get away with it.

Last edited:

Sam Luvit

Hi @DollyBird16

It was a good day, apart from freezegate :p, lots of laughter & catching up. I’d kept in touch with one girl, knew another vaguely, but most of the others were friends of friends. We stopped stories & connected through shared history. I always thought my brother was the popular one, but I found I was the one with most connections :rolleyes: It was fun though

I was yawning my head off & not too late to bed. It was a good day :)

Sam Luvit

Hi @MaryH

I’ve always had to juggle appointments, meetings, etc, so the mental calendar has been good, but it’s only now that Mum sometimes takes a phone call & doesn’t tell me or gets it wrong that it’s falling down. The MOT was all me. I’m putting it down to being too tired, hence taking this next week off, to catch up & have a sort out

My brother has improved, coming over every weekend & occasionally popping in on his way to or from a client. I think the more he comes & just chats with me, the more he sees, the more he visits. He knows he’s getting the easy part of the bargain, but at least he’s supporting me.

DollyBird16

@Sam Luvit
Get you, the popular one - lol
Hope your having a good day.
I’ve done some work for work and normal house stuff.
Now to get the hoover out. Whoopee living the dream.

Sam Luvit

Lol @DollyBird16 not popular, just knew more joint friends :D

Started clearing off the hard standing, got the pressure hose out & found it had been put away turned on. Not something I would ever do, also not quiet in the same place, it spluttered, worked for a bit & then died. Who wants to guess my thoughts .... hmmm ... I wonder if a certain mother of mine thought she’d have a go, turned the water off before the power & more or less burnt out the motor. Not saying she did, but ....

It’s now a pile of scrap, so you can bet your sweet life, the offer that was on last week for massive reduced replacement will not be on

What fun trying to find a replacement now :rolleyes: Oh what joy ;)

Needless to say, that didn’t get finished & the car didn’t get a wash either :(

I dragged eldest along to help get kitchen wall units off, P bunged him a few quid, but he needs nudging all the time & it’s embarrassing. Still, we got them down & a few hundred tiles off the wall. Only 3 more walls, a bathroom & loo to de-tile & I think I’m done :p

P’s coming over for dinner, so I’d better get peeling. :eek:

DollyBird16

Super impressed by your active day. I hope P gets a share of the CM!!!
Trust you will do a homemade apple pie with home made custard - just like I always do :oops:;)

Sam Luvit

Please let that be the end of the fireworks. Brats in the road screaming at the sky, couldn’t their “parents” just take them the 5 minute walk & pay the £1 entrance fee & let us have peace? Guess parenting isn’t what it once was :eek:

At least Noddy neighbour took his brats out somewhere.

Poor dog is crying at the bangs :( It’s very tiring

LadyA

I feel for you. There are so many threads on here, and on other forums (forii?) talking about the same problem. I can't understand why they haven't made the noisy fireworks illegal, and only allow the silent ones. They don't need to make noise.

jugglingmum

No alcohol here due to mega ABs. Missing it. Only have a small one at weekends normally but missing it because I can't.

The display we went to was too loud. We were at the front. Wasn't sure if we were getting older but kids found it too loud as well. Might be display fireworks for a very small function.

Sam Luvit

I feel for you. There are so many threads on here, and on other forums (forii?) talking about the same problem. I can't understand why they haven't made the noisy fireworks illegal, and only allow the silent ones. They don't need to make noise.

I didn’t know you could get silent ones :eek: I learn something every day & for once it wasn’t Dementia related :D

I must admit, driving when they are going off is not so good, I’m surprised there aren’t more accidents :confused:, I certainly got a shock as one exploded just above us down a long dark road :(

Sam Luvit

Hi @jugglingmum

Hope the AB’s kick in & whatever is nothing too nasty

I did think about going to one of the displays, but someone needed to be here to calm the dog & Mum didn’t seem to get how. She’s always been great, but yesterday she was telling him off for barking :(, poor love, I was doing the soothing ;), while trying to tell Mum not to get cross.

Please don’t let this be another dip. :confused:

Sam Luvit

I’ve woken to frost in the car, so definitely colder today, so naturally this is the day they are fitting a new boiler :( Heating off. Water off. Reduced coffee allowance & no loo. Oh it’s going to be a very long day :(

Very young lad doing the work. I get he’s not happy, but I didn’t make him start work at 08.10, heaven only knows what time he was up to get here for then, but it’s his choice, so don’t be bolshy with me luv :mad:

Silly boy can’t get the stop co*k in the road to fully turn off, so we have a slow running tap in the kitchen (not the best with no loo :eek: )

His mood has improved thankfully, especially as he was able to slag off British Gas :rolleyes: We had a full boiler service 3 weeks ago, all fine, no problems. Looks like I’ll be pulling out the insurance details ....

The pipe for the water softener has been leaking (much more than 3 weeks judging by the stain), the boiler is in the loft (don’t ask :rolleyes:), the leak is over my room, about 2 foot from my bed. The boarding is very wet, which probably means the insulation is damp .... a few more weeks & I’d have had a large section of loft on my bed, or more likely on my head :eek:

I’m blooming freezing & less than happy. Mums taken the dog out for a walk & she’s going to stop in to see a friend & borrow their loo :D

nitram

Silly boy can’t get the stop co*k in the road to fully turn off, so we have a slow running tap in the kitchen (not the best with no loo

May I please butt in with some practicalities:

There should also be an internal stop cօck somewhere in the house at the point of entry, under sink. under stairs - useful if you get a major leak. If you find it and it is virtually inaccessible you could fit one of these magic hydraulic things, you can extend the pipe if needs be.
ae235.jpg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/surestop-remote-stop-cock-push-fit-15mm/48604?

Example only, there are others.

The outside stop cօck is the responsibility of your utility suppler, get them to fix it especially if you can't find an internal cօck. Even with an internal cօck the connection to it could become faulty.

Sam Luvit

Thank you @nitram, I’ll be looking into that this week. I’ve pointed out what I thought was the stop cock, under the sink, but he says it’s not isolating it???

I’d assumed that the tap under the sink turned it all off, but as it doesn’t, I need to get that sorted. In my old house some highly intelligent person had put my stop cock at the back of a cubby hole that went under the stairs, double width as the stairs had a mini landing, & it was about 3 foot high :rolleyes: It was such fun when I did the new kitchen crawling in there :D

Sorry to be a bit thick, but do you mean I need to ask the supplier to sort the one in the road as it won’t turn off fully?

nitram

Sorry to be a bit thick, but do you mean I need to ask the supplier to sort the one in the road as it won’t turn off fully?

Yes, it's their responsibility and it should work.
If you have not got a meter think about having one fitted, it comes with it's own underground stop cօck. Without a meter you are assessed on your archaic rateable value. Your supplier should have some cost guidance on their web site.

The cօck that the man found may be the correct one, it may be broken, if old don't force anything before you can turn water off outside.

Sam Luvit

Thanks @nitram, I’ll get in touch when I’ve thawed out :eek:

We are on a water metre, but it’s been there for ever, so maybe they need to update it :(

I’ll be getting the plumber in to sort the internal one & make sure it’s accessible & I know where it is :rolleyes:, but not until the external one works :D

nitram

We are on a water metre, but it’s been there for ever, so maybe they need to update i

Is this internal?
In my area they used to charge for an underground external meter and not for internal.
They now prefer external as it saves considerable time when they are read and do them for free..

Sam Luvit

Is this internal?
In my area they used to charge for an underground external meter and not for internal.
They now prefer external as it saves considerable time when they are read and do them for free..
Errrr ... ???

I only know that dad said he’d had the “main” in the road stop click changed to a water metre & apparently it was easier as “they” could read it without bothering my parents. He also thought it would reduce their bills

I guess I’m going to be on the phone a lot this week :rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suze100