But oh those lonely nights .........

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Scarlett, thank you so much for explaining how you came to want to play the ukelele. I confess I didn't know it was shaped like a guitar, had assumed they were round.
And 'The Rush' sounds incredible -- hope you get there one day, and also that you do go to the care home and play for the residents, that would be such an achievement.
Stanley's post, and Izzy's, make me wonder how I missed this trend.
I really don't get out much!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
This is something I found on YouTube. The girl on the banjo is my niece, Sally. At the time, she would have been about 13 or 14. The girl on the concertina is her sister Emily, who at that time was about 15 or 16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XKwNkN0g1w
I don't appear to have much of the musical gene!

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Now I see the difference!
The Joe Brown song would be a nice one for the care home Christmas party, Scarlett?
Great to see those youngsters playing music together Lady A.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Now I see the difference!
The Joe Brown song would be a nice one for the care home Christmas party, Scarlett?
Great to see those youngsters playing music together Lady A.

I have already sorted out my funeral music and for the last number, I am having Joe Brown, playing "I'll see you in my dreams" on his ukulele. :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
The ukulele is very popular nowadays. I know some schools get everyone playing them as they're relatively cheap and also easier to play than many instruments. A niece and her OH have two kids, probably about 12 and 6. They are a very musical family and they all have ukes and all play together.

I've never tried one but one of my retirement projects was to learn tenor guitar. It only has 4 strings so a bit similar in terms of difficulty to the uke. For a while I would get Sue singing along whilst I played the chords (well, most of them). Then we started to find the singing groups and at the same time, I had arthritis in the wrists. Have played a bit recently as the arthritis has eased off but I've forgotten a lot of the fingerings.

To be honest Stanley, I wasn't expecting to be at Joe Brown's standard after one lesson, but I find it incredibly difficult with arthritis. I persevered tonight, and can almost manage G7, without a 10 minute pause before my fingers are in the right place! C major's fine. Blimey, at this rate, I might be able to give Bryan May a run for his money, by the time I'm 156!!!!

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
To be honest Stanley, I wasn't expecting to be at Joe Brown's standard after one lesson, but I find it incredibly difficult with arthritis. I persevered tonight, and can almost manage G7, without a 10 minute pause before my fingers are in the right place! C major's fine. Blimey, at this rate, I might be able to give Bryan May a run for his money, by the time I'm 156!!!!

Joe can still turn it on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ueGuOfvcDY

I think the last time we saw him he apologised that he could no longer play the uke behind his head!

Something to aspire to? GL

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I went to CAB this morning, and when I got back, I was delighted to find that the marriage certificate I'd sent for, for my friend in Yorkshire, where I recently stayed, had arrived. It was for her paternal grandparents, and from the info given on it, I was able to find on Find My Past, an 1871 Census, showing the grandmother, Emma, aged 2, her parents, and even Emma's grandmother.

Prior to posting the relevant documents, I scanned them and emailed them to my friend, who was thrilled and phoned me. I love Genealogy, and get a real kick out of researching. I did a "Roots" album for the grandchildren, and have all the Birth, Marriage and Death certificates I could get, photos and memorabilia. I traced all the greatgreatgrandparents of both John and I, and even a couple of branches beyond that, and obviously for my grandchildren, we add on 2 more "greats".

And then ...... and then ....... I taught myself another chord! I can now play F, G7 and C, which opens up a whole load of song possibilities. I strummed away this evening, singing along, especially to my masterpiece - King of the Road. :D I was so pleased, and I found that if I played it v-e-r-y slowly, it was reasonably smooth. :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Glad life is positive for the moment. How interesting to trace someone's genealogy.

It's a fascinating hobby, and because I've "been there" (bit like caring for someone with AD ;)), I can help others. I was very fortunate that my Mum had loads of photos, and on the back of each, she wrote the 3 "musts" - who, when and where.

I sorted these out for her, and put them in albums, with captions, about 50 years ago, and I always kept a photo album, at least one each year, after we married. Oh the joy of waiting for those photos to arrive, or collecting them from the chemist! So my family side was relatively easy to sort out, though I found more info, once I had a computer.

John and I used to visit an elderly aunt of his, a couple of times a year, and she gave me loads of info and photos, and we discovered so many facts. For example, his grandfather (her father) was the result of a liaison between a young country girl, and the man who was employed as a builder "next door". Things happened ........... and then her mother suddenly died, and her father remarried soon after.

Though poor Julia wrote to him about her condition, these letters went unanswered - or so she thought. Years later, it transpired that her stepmother had kept the letters, and Julia was sent, in disgrace, to live with a married sister, much further away. She gave her son, as a middle name, the surname of her sweetheart. I later discovered that this was common practice in illegitimacy, in the hope that if the parents married, the surname of the mother could be dropped, and voila - the child would have the father's surname.

But it was not to be. :( And then Julia rolled in the hay with another lad, and hastily married this one, and John's grandfather assumed his step-father's surname. My son and I tried to trace the adoption papers, about 30 years ago, and found that legal adoption wasn't around in the 1880s - they just assumed the name. So John's grandfather had different surnames on his birth and death certificates.

About 16 years ago, John bought me the 1881 census, which cost a fortune, and was on loads of discs, and I gleaned lots of info that way. It's so much easier now, doing everything online. But I wonder how many life stories are lost forever, when someone dies, with family members throwing away photos, and memorabilia, because they haven't a clue of the connections.

One of my friends asked if I'd help her sort out her photos. They were in several carrier bags, with no clues written on the back, so alas, it was nigh impossible. A photo of a white-haired lady with glasses, could have been a dearly-loved aunt, a greatgrandmother - or just some woman who walked in front of the camera, and the real purpose of the photo was a house in the background!

Yes, genealogy is so interesting. :)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Gosh, Scarlett. How interesting. Have always regretted not finding out more about my parents' backgrounds when they were alive and then it's too late....... my children might have the same thoughts sometime in the future so project will be to label old photos as far as I can remember so that they have clues to follow. Thanks.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Gosh, Scarlett. How interesting. Have always regretted not finding out more about my parents' backgrounds when they were alive and then it's too late....... my children might have the same thoughts sometime in the future so project will be to label old photos as far as I can remember so that they have clues to follow. Thanks.

I'm so pleased to read your post. :) If I can persuade one person on this site to do that, it means so much for future generations. Most of us are now the senior members of families, and if we don't pass the info on, it's lost forever.

Once you've labelled, it's quite easy to put the items in chronological order, not necessarily year by year, but decade by decade. Styles of clothing, and hair, are great at giving clues. History has always been a favourite subject of mine, and genealogy is fascinating. In fact, by posting names about 15 years ago, on Genes Reunited, we traced several other descendants of Julia, and had some lovey lunches and get togethers, and we're still in touch.

The lady who John's grandfather married, also had quite a colourful and racy past. :eek: Both she, and her mother were illegitimate (sorry, there seems to be a lot in John's family ;)), but both were private educated by their respective fathers, names unknown. The greatgrandmother in question was chosen to be The Lady On The White Horse, when the scene was re-enacted for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in Banbury, where she lived.

Her photo appeared on postcards, and these are still sold in Banbury. I imagine this was a coveted role, and John's aunt reckoned that there was a lot of influence, heavily hinting that "the father" in question, might have been royal. :eek: