Big deterioration in the last few days!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I understand how you feel. Pete attacked my dog one day because the poor thing wouldn't learn how to read and talk!

Billy's never forgotten

I hope William sleeps for a while to give you a little break

It doesn't get any easier does it?

Lyn T XXX

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Poor you. If it's not one thing it's another. Doesn't he like cats or was this a new thing? Hope your neck/shoulder pain has eased and that the letter arrives this week.

Sent from my GT-N5110
He loves the cats - I don't know what this is about, except I've increasingly had to tell him to put his stick down, when we are out. He usually raises it to point to something, but I've sometimes not been sure if he was pointing to someone or trying to get in a sneaky poke at them! He also has taken to thumping it a lot on the floor - and will keep it up, watching me closely to see what I am going to do. It's like he's a spoilt child, doing it to see how far can he go? How much will he get away with - because all his life, he has gotten his own way in everything, because he would never tolerate anything else!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, apparently it could run into August before the funding is released! Hope not. And of course then, I still have to wait for a vacancy in the nursing home!

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Found the section in one of my old textbooks that explains the background of why things are more "hands off" by the State here. You tend to find the same in other countries that have a Roman Catholic background - and particularly where, as in Ireland, the Church and State were for so long, so closely bound. The principle of Subsidiarity comes into play, which in simple terms means the State should take care of the Big Government and stay out of things that don't concern it. That way, according to this principle, the Government can concentrate fully on more important things, and more minor issues can be dealt with by those more closely involved with them. So, in things like caring for ill or disabled or elderly relatives, that means in effect, that families are expected to provide care whenever possible. And because of this tradition, the provision of State care or facilities for the providing of adequate care, has fallen way behind - it was not deemed necessary. Anyway, to explain it more fully, here's the quote:

"A logical application of the subsidiarity principle to the context of social care dictates that care should be provided, whenever possible, by the social uinit closest to the person in need of care. In the first instance, this means the family and other informal carers. As Convery writes (2001, p.83: 'Traditionally, the family has taken most responsibility for the care of frail older people in Ireland, and this is still the expectation. Although adults are not legally obliged to care for their parents or other elderly relatives, there is an implied moral obligation placed on them to do so, whenever possible.' This tendency to rely on the family as the primary provider of care for older people has formed, Convery argues, the foundation of government policy leading to "the gross underdevelopment of [formal] community services for older people living at home. ....."

This attitude still holds, although the Catholic Church has lost it's stranglehold on the country to a large extent. And in fairness, it's one of those systems that does have a lot of plus points too. Obviously, the down side is that these days, the large extended family system and the close knit communities of earlier days no longer exist - so the family carers no longer have that support system, and so are in need of much more support from the State - but the State is not supplying that support. And this sort of separation by the State from direct involvement in the provision of Care is the reason for the complicated arrangements for funding for Nursing Home care. There are very few actual State run Nursing Homes here. There are some Voluntary Homes (sort of Charity run homes) but most are Private. the State subsidises the cost of care in a nursing home, and the person pays the rest from their income & assets. I think as time goes on, we will see things changing, and the State taking a bigger role in things, from necessity. Which will, like everything else, be a mixed blessing!

There are disadvantages and advantages to this whole hangover from the subsidiarity principle. But one of the good things about this idea of Subsidiarity is the way it applies to other areas - for example, here, it's in our Constitution that the parent is primarily responsible for the education of their children. This means that home schooling is not a huge issue here - home schools are subject to inspection though, to make sure the children are actually being educated. I know in some other parts of Europe, home schooling is now illegal, and children have to attend State schools, and be taught only what is on the State curriculum. I find that a worrying development.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thanks for the interesting explanation LadyA :)

I remain in total admiration of your ability to look at the situation so objectively :cool:

I am still sorry and appalled that you haven't had a letter yet, though:(

Lindy xx

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Thanks for the clear explanation of Subsidiarity, LadyA. I agree with what you say about potential changes being a mixed blessing. I am so glad we do not have that, at least, in the UK because it would provide yet another excuse for more "duck-shoving" at which the authorities are already more than adept.
Hope the post brings that letter today - I know it's not August yet, but it is mañana. You realise, of course, that when it finally arrives, the collective sigh of relief will be deafening! Loving thoughts X Shelagh:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thanks for the clear explanation of Subsidiarity, LadyA. I agree with what you say about potential changes being a mixed blessing. I am so glad we do not have that, at least, in the UK because it would provide yet another excuse for more "duck-shoving" at which the authorities are already more than adept.
Hope the post brings that letter today - I know it's not August yet, but it is mañana. You realise, of course, that when it finally arrives, the collective sigh of relief will be deafening! Loving thoughts X Shelagh:)
In the UK, the situation was different, historically. Pre-Henry VIII, the only Social Care, care for the poor, the elderly, etc. was provided by the church through the Monasteries (which would, at the time, have been the Roman Catholic church and Monasteries). The Monasteries apparently, were the biggest landowners after the King! When Henry VIII broke with Catholicism and dissolved the Monasteries - which had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with wanting their power, wealth and land - it left the poor, elderly etc. with no source of help, so the State more or less had to step up to the plate and start providing some meagre sources of relief - and that eventually became the Social Services of today.

And this concludes today's lessons! You are now dismissed for Recess! :D

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Following another night of OH's activities - he had to learn a poem for school at 3.00 am and has been up and about ever since, I cannot imagine how you, LadyA and all of you other long-term carers have coped for all these years. When I mentioned being a bit tired he suggested I go back to bed, I pointed out that I have to work and he said "well I didn't know that, I don't know what you do'. Then I discovered that we are apparently in a hotel (again) and it's a disgrace that there's only one toilet for all of the guests ...... him, me and the dog!! Hope there's not another chest infection brewing, a pattern seems to be emerging and he's much more wheezy again this morning. Fingers crossed that the letter arrives very soon. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Following another night of OH's activities - he had to learn a poem for school at 3.00 am and has been up and about ever since, I cannot imagine how you, LadyA and all of you other long-term carers have coped for all these years. When I mentioned being a bit tired he suggested I go back to bed, I pointed out that I have to work and he said "well I didn't know that, I don't know what you do'. Then I discovered that we are apparently in a hotel (again) and it's a disgrace that there's only one toilet for all of the guests ...... him, me and the dog!! Hope there's not another chest infection brewing, a pattern seems to be emerging and he's much more wheezy again this morning. Fingers crossed that the letter arrives very soon. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point
Could you trot him off to the doctor now before it gets worse? William's GP tends to be sort of proactive where infections are concerned. He reckons it's better to treat if we even suspect he may be getting one rather than wait until he's very obviously got one! As he says, that's completely against normal guidelines for anti-biotic use, but when dealing with dementia, and particularly someone who doesn't communicate and so can't tell you how they are feeling, - but on whom an infection can have such a catastrophic affect - it's better to be safe than sorry. Or would your husband have "Summer asthma"? William has asthma all the time, but this time of year it gets completely out of control - or would if it weren't for his nebuliser. Sadly, now, he won't use the nebuliser until he is wheezing desperately. Which happens every single day.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Could you trot him off to the doctor now before it gets worse? William's GP tends to be sort of proactive where infections are concerned. He reckons it's better to treat if we even suspect he may be getting one rather than wait until he's very obviously got one! As he says, that's completely against normal guidelines for anti-biotic use, but when dealing with dementia, and particularly someone who doesn't communicate and so can't tell you how they are feeling, - but on whom an infection can have such a catastrophic affect - it's better to be safe than sorry. Or would your husband have "Summer asthma"? William has asthma all the time, but this time of year it gets completely out of control - or would if it weren't for his nebuliser. Sadly, now, he won't use the nebuliser until he is wheezing desperately. Which happens every single day.

He only finished the last two courses of ABs and a course of steroids 2 weeks ago. He has COPD caused by sarcoidosis scarring from years back but it is getting worse. He could be having problems with pollen, I am trying to remember to get him to take his inhaler regularly which does seem to help. He always seems so much more 'with it' after the steroids and then his cognitive abilities decline again as they wear off. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point