BBC1 Has Another Item On Now

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Radio 4 book of the week (9.45am daily), is Travellers to Unimaginable Lands, by Dasha Kiper. Apparently it is about how caring for PWD affects the carer.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The BBC will be airing this item for a little while on Breakfast. When the broadcaster broke down on TV that reminded me of breaking down on the phone to the Alzheimers Society as I informed them that dad had thrown the carer out! My independence was fast disappearing and a few months later he ended up in the care home. I take my hat off for you all and PWDs still living with this.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Radio 4 book of the week (9.45am daily), is Travellers to Unimaginable Lands, by Dasha Kiper. Apparently it is about how caring for PWD affects the carer.
It gave me my first taste of anxiety and depression.

MaNaAk

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I'm not sure I will listen - too close to home - but maybe it would good to know that we aren't alone in our thoughts and feelings.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
I'm not sure I will listen - too close to home - but maybe it would good to know that we aren't alone in our thoughts and feelings.
Oh that’s how I feel. I struggle to read, listen to or watch anything related to this other than on this forum which has been a lifeline.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Pauline and I have just watched the interview with presenter, Nina Warhurst, whose father has dementia and it was moving and gave insight as to what caring meant to their family. However, although she complained about the time it took for diagnosis she praised the GP (wish I had that luxury) and the care home he is in now and expressed concern as to costs, it made little impact on either of us and not even a conversation to be honest. As painful as it may be I hope that the rest of the programmes they may show on the subject will look at the less cosy and supportive lives that most of we ‘volunteer’ carers have And be more hard hitting.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Pauline and I have just watched the interview with presenter, Nina Warhurst, whose father has dementia and it was moving and gave insight as to what caring meant to their family. However, although she complained about the time it took for diagnosis she praised the GP (wish I had that luxury) and the care home he is in now and expressed concern as to costs, it made little impact on either of us and not even a conversation to be honest. As painful as it may be I hope that the rest of the programmes they may show on the subject will look at the less cosy and supportive lives that most of we ‘volunteer’ carers have And be more hard hitting.
Yes! My GP ignored the letter I wrote several months before I finally got dad to see the GP. A lot of us here struggle with finances and invisibles and have to move heaven and earth to get the right care.

MaNaAk

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Oh that’s how I feel. I struggle to read, listen to or watch anything related to this other than on this forum which has been a lifeline.
Mum died a year ago. My new job required that I watch a short video about dementia. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I burst into tears (not usually my thing) and couldn't watch it. My poor colleagues didn't know what to say or do, bless them.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Mum died a year ago. My new job required that I watch a short video about dementia. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I burst into tears (not usually my thing) and couldn't watch it. My poor colleagues didn't know what to say or do, bless them.
Hugs

MaNaAk

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

I`m the same. It`s far too close to home to be able to be objective about these books, films etc.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Did anyone see the item? It brought back sad memories and I want to the Alzheimers Society and DTP for getting me through that difficult time

MaNaAk

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
@MaNaAk Pauline and I not only watched it together but have spent about 10 minutes actually talking about it and very positively I have to say. Of course she constantly insisted she wasn’t as bad as some of those shown and talked to, and most of the time she is indeed ‘well.’ I explained to her how the word Dementia is a title like Cancer is and all different illnesses under the headline and how, at our age, lots of symptoms get mixed together. At that point she got tetchy and firmly advised me that my memory is worse than hers - and she may be right 😆. I know for many even hearing the word mentioned on TV is painful but, for my part I hope that the conversations will continue and the embarrassment and fear that so many experience will become history and, through that care and treatment might, Just might, be improved. Thank you for headlining the programme and similar here.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
@MaNaAk Pauline and I not only watched it together but have spent about 10 minutes actually talking about it and very positively I have to say. Of course she constantly insisted she wasn’t as bad as some of those shown and talked to, and most of the time she is indeed ‘well.’ I explained to her how the word Dementia is a title like Cancer is and all different illnesses under the headline and how, at our age, lots of symptoms get mixed together. At that point she got tetchy and firmly advised me that my memory is worse than hers - and she may be right 😆. I know for many even hearing the word mentioned on TV is painful but, for my part I hope that the conversations will continue and the embarrassment and fear that so many experience will become history and, through that care and treatment might, Just might, be improved. Thank you for headlining the programme and similar here.
Dear @Agzy,

Dad once said that he was not that bad but that I (me) am confused! Dealing with Alzheimer's probably made me that way!

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i dont have the tv on in the morning but anything that shows the reality of dementia, not the cheerful little lady sat smiling, can only be a good thing if it educates and dispels the myths. i wish they would talk about other dementias rather than normally alzheimers so people realize yes they are similarities and have common traits but there are differences with different behaviours

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
i dont have the tv on in the morning but anything that shows the reality of dementia, not the cheerful little lady sat smiling, can only be a good thing if it educates and dispels the myths. i wish they would talk about other dementias rather than normally alzheimers so people realize yes they are similarities and have common traits but there are differences with different behaviours
They did mention Vascular but the spokesperson was from the Alzheimer’s Society and wearing the big forget me not badge

Mumlikesflowers

Aug 13, 2020
Before Christmas they had a series of reports on the main bbc news on an amazing husband caring for his wife. He was completely at the end of his tether and they followed his daily life. It didn't pull any punches. I wonder how he's doing. I mean, just because you're a carer for someone with dementia, you're still totally capable of having your eyes opened to the experiences of other carers. His wife (or partner, maybe they won't married) was at a later stage than I'm familiar with. It's always worth sharing on here if someone sees something on the telly so thank you

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
They did mention Vascular but the spokesperson was from the Alzheimer’s Society and wearing the big forget me not badge
thankyou alz. soc. do cover all dementias but alzheimer is usually the most well known and is used in the name. people just assume that this is all that is covered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunbeams