Balance when walking

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Hello,
I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s (mild stage) last July. Now I am finding difficulty when with my sense of balance when walking briskly. I have a need to exercise but am bothered by recent balance problems when walking unaided.
I have several questions:
What does this mean?
Does anyone here have have any experience of this they can share?
What can I do about it?
David Joseph

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @David Joseph

My balance is poor and I use a stick, which is a big help. I suggest you cut down on the speed a little too.

I remember when my husband had Alzheimer`s his balance was affected. He was a big walker and walked for two hours daily. He refused to reduce his speed and also the length of time he walked. This resulted in him getting overtired and he fell and fractured his shoulder.

Better a couple of short walks at a reduced speed than one long walk.

I hope this helps.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
This was one of my first symptoms. I use a stick now and walk more slowly. Previously a runner, I can no longer do this on land, so jog in shoulder high water in an outdoor pool (dosn't matter if I fall then!) Please take @Grannie G sensible advice. Balance issues cannot be fought, work with them. Get a stick and be patient. I think as persons with early dementia we have to pick our battles. This is not one.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oh David I feel for you. I am such a walker I know this will cause me issues in the future when my body slows down. i like the advice to think laterally. Divide your exercise up into smaller chunks and try some other ideas like the water based exercise. Also as time goes on you may find a rollator easier to use than a stick ….mums Walking improved with a rollator compared to stick.

Keep going and work around it !

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Thank you all for your good advice. I have re-started walking, a little more slowly and carefully, but really need to walk slower. Because of my poor balance at first it has been all over the place, wobbly and I seem to veer from side to side, I don’t know why. I am going to phone my GP for a telephone appointment because I know how busy they are, but I am sure the GP will help.
I was surprised by this problem of balance while walking happening so soon after the diagnosis. The Donepezil medication has helped me a lot over the past nine months, as far as I can tell
Many thanks for your very caring advice.
David Joseph

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@David Joseph

You could try
noting 'Consider doing the exercises near a wall or a stable chair just in case you lose your balance'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilH