Attention

JSpil

Aug 30, 2023
My partner has Vascular Dementia was diagnosed just over 1 year ago but noticed a change 2 years ago . Just lately it’s as though he has to be the centre of attention. I also find I am aware of what I say or how I say things as he becomes snappy .
He his not interested in anything new and watches the same TV programs over and over .. I’m sure a lot of you can relate to this ? I just wanted to see

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @JSpil This can be a difficult period to deal with especially when you have to watch every word you say.
If your partner appears anxious you could request a meds review from their doctor to see if a change of meds would help.

JSpil

Aug 30, 2023
Hello @JSpil This can be a difficult period to deal with especially when you have to watch every word you say.
If your partner appears anxious you could request a meds review from their doctor to see if a change of meds would help.
Thank you he has had a review but I will see how things progress

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My partner has Vascular Dementia was diagnosed just over 1 year ago but noticed a change 2 years ago . Just lately it’s as though he has to be the centre of attention. I also find I am aware of what I say or how I say things as he becomes snappy .
He his not interested in anything new and watches the same TV programs over and over .. I’m sure a lot of you can relate to this ? I just wanted to see
my husband was diagnosed 3 years ago with vascular dementia. he can get snappy and argue black is white. he did start getting quite aggressive with it so he was put on another tablet for this and its a lot better. he watches repeats, last of the summer wine at the moment along with wheeler dealers and minder. lost interest in films he used to like as cant concentrate or follow complicated plot lines. used to do wordsearches but not any more. yes its all about him but i think that is common with most dementias.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
my husband was diagnosed 3 years ago with vascular dementia. he can get snappy and argue black is white. he did start getting quite aggressive with it so he was put on another tablet for this and its a lot better. he watches repeats, last of the summer wine at the moment along with wheeler dealers and minder. lost interest in films he used to like as cant concentrate or follow complicated plot lines. used to do wordsearches but not any more. yes its all about him but i think that is common with most dementias.
mine was a great reader , owned hundreds of books and still buy them despite not being able to read anything but sippets of magazine articles and daily paper. only very occasionally get snapy with his own frustrations and fears. the thin we tend to forget is that they have feelings and can be very sensitive to our responses and facial expressions etc. it is hard to mind their feelings when ours seem to be so ignored. but this is the disease. I hate it. not him, but this disease.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
My husband was diagnose with Alzheimer's/vascular dementia 3 years ago and I have experienced something very similar. My husband became very verbally aggressive about 5 years ago - everything made him angry, everything that went wrong for him was my fault. He was put on Memantine and this worked for about a year, and now he is on an anti psychotic medication which has made him very mellow.
I noticed a long time ago that he lost interest in everything, stopped watching TV because he was struggling to follow the plot. He does still read a newspaper but doesn't take anything in, Now he does nothing all day, he's never been social, just drinks tea.

JSpil

Aug 30, 2023
Does anybody experience very long silences ? We just dont have anything in common any more which is sad in its self . He does seem to love his ipad and you tube .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does anybody experience very long silences ? We just dont have anything in common any more which is sad in its self . He does seem to love his ipad and you tube .
My OH has lost the art of conversation and is also losing language, so there are hours of silence. He now only speaks in answer to a question, or when he wants something - and even then he will often use sign language, like picking up his mug and showing it to me to indicate that he would like some coffee.

He too used to sit on the sofa with his android tablet and scroll through stuff on it. He can no longer work out how to use it now, though, so sits on the sofa a reads the newspaper instead (I dont know how much he takes in)

It is very sad when conversation is lost and OH doesnt seem to want to interact with me at all, although he gets stressed if Im away for long periods. He is living increasingly in his own little "bubble". I feel like some sort of automaton - Im there for when he needs something, but the rest of the time hes not bothered

JSpil

Aug 30, 2023
My OH has lost the art of conversation and is also losing language, so there are hours of silence. He now only speaks in answer to a question, or when he wants something - and even then he will often use sign language, like picking up his mug and showing it to me to indicate that he would like some coffee.

He too used to sit on the sofa with his android tablet and scroll through stuff on it. He can no longer work out how to use it now, though, so sits on the sofa a reads the newspaper instead (I dont know how much he takes in)

It is very sad when conversation is lost and OH doesnt seem to want to interact with me at all, although he gets stressed if Im away for long periods. He is living increasingly in his own little "bubble". I feel like some sort of automaton - Im there for when he needs something, but the rest of the time hes not bothered
I can relate to this although my OH does still use his tablet . But similar he relies on me for everything. It’s a terrible thing to say but I’m d
glad to come to bed we have separate rooms , so my room is my go too happy place . But during the day time hours he wants to know where I am . We really are just friends