Atos appt

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Sue/Sarah, I think all new claimants have to apply for PIP (Personal Independence Payment) as DLA is being phased out. I hope the process is not too arduous - perhaps others can advise.

I think it is area dependent Nita. Money advice unit should be able to verify for local area I would think?:)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I think it's all England, at least.

I even got some expenses today! The medical as 35 miles away. I can drive, but I nearly got cleared up at the last roundabout before the test centre!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
This is what it says on the Government website:-

New claims

You can only make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you’re claiming for a child under 16 - this is known as DLA for children.

You may be able to make a new claim if you’re over 65.

Anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead of DLA.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
This is what it says on the Government website:-

New claims

You can only make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you’re claiming for a child under 16 - this is known as DLA for children.

You may be able to make a new claim if you’re over 65.

Anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead of DLA.

It is interesting Nita but its not my experience.

I too am dreading PIP when it is a necessity Chick it'll be more:confused::eek::confused::(

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Don't worry Sue, it's not too bad.
Your gp seems to to do most of the hard work form filling! Some people don't even have a medical, though I did. It's not really a medical, just a series of questions, including how far can you lift your foot ( not far in my case, even though I do it every day and have been to a couple of chair bound exercise classes. It was also right after Launde, when I felt so well I did loads more walking than I've done for several years) and spell world backwards. Had to grin at that! Didn't creative Sarah get asked to count back in 7s?
Basically it's to show what you can/can't do, mentally and physically.
Don't worry!!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Don't worry Sue, it's not too bad.
Your gp seems to to do most of the hard work form filling! Some people don't even have a medical, though I did. It's not really a medical, just a series of questions, including how far can you lift your foot ( not far in my case, even though I do it every day and have been to a couple of chair bound exercise classes. It was also right after Launde, when I felt so well I did loads more walking than I've done for several years) and spell world backwards. Had to grin at that! Didn't creative Sarah get asked to count back in 7s?
Basically it's to show what you can/can't do, mentally and physically.
Don't worry!!

Thanks Spamar. 'Chair bound' exercises sound interesting:D Houdini? :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
You'd be surprised how exhausting they can be! ( bearing in mind I have heart problems plus arthritis (two types) and a few other bits and pieces) Unfortunately it's the last one tomorrow, though I'm told there's another, similar, group about 3 miles away. Will have to transfer to that one now if I want to go on. I certainly ought to!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Worst thing I found, Sarah, was remembering the adaptations I've made over the years to cope with various problems! We had the bungalow done up just after we moved here 9 years ago, so things like higher loo ( I'm quite tall), grab rails, kitchen arranged so it's easy and so on, car that's easy for me to get into, I accept, but it was all planned to make my life easier.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
You'd be surprised how exhausting they can be! ( bearing in mind I have heart problems plus arthritis (two types) and a few other bits and pieces) Unfortunately it's the last one tomorrow, though I'm told there's another, similar, group about 3 miles away. Will have to transfer to that one now if I want to go on. I certainly ought to!

I was only kidding Spamar;) I just had visions of being tied to a chair and having to get out:eek: I've been investigating classes this week myself and reluctantly have concluded chair based is what I need, anything more would be too much. Locating the right group has been a task in itself still not quite sure where I need to get to but its a good bus ride or two away. I'll expect to be as fit as a fiddle after it.:rolleyes::)

black night

Sep 26, 2014
I have vascular dementia can somebody help me

Tomorrow morning I have got to go for another Atos assesment

Not looking forward to it

Hi Sarah I hope you can cope with them I'm having atos assessment in my home on Thursday morning I'm also having a support worker as we for my pip assessment for the third time. I can't understand why thay have to assess you at all but I know what you are going through my depression is going up to but all my hopes are with you good luck Sarah xxxx

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
thanks black night what I hadnt realised was that they had stopped my ESA but the letter that came yesterday saying I was in the support group says they will reimburse me for the unpaid period. Thank goodness I'm not on my own