Atos appt

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
In the support group you have no more interviews. The other group is a work related group to help you get back to work. https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/overview

My husband was told that he had Early Onset Dementia 10 days before his Atos interview. I gave them the consultants name etc but they did not write to the consultant and put my husband in a group to get him back to work.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Sounds typical! Well, my job has disappeared to an extent, OH now in care. And my other (proper) job disappeared when he couldn't be left. Shortly afterwards couldn't physically do that job, or the voluntary work I did anyway. So I can't see a support group for me!
Thanks for info.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Spammer - the support group is what you want to be in. If you are put in the other group - the work related group - then you will be expected to get back into work. If you are in the support group then you will not be expected to work.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Canary, I have been collecting my pension for some years! I came to PIP cos I used to get DLA ( in my own right), no more DLA, everybody on PIP these days. Must admit, DLA much easier!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sorry spamar. From your post I had assumed that your were being assessed by ATOS for ESA.

Edit to say - is this a pension due to ill health and you are actually of working age? If so ESA still applies - you dont get it once you are of retirement age. My husband has been medically retired for many years due to a traumatic brain injury and he was still put in the work-related group and expected to get a job. An appeal sorted that out.
Sorry if I have completely misunderstood the situation.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
The full story, canary. When age uk were visiting doing OHs higher AA , she looked at me and asked what benefits I got, I said none. She thought I might be eligible for AA, but I was about three months too young! So she suggested DLA, which I duly obtained with her help, of course. Now they are phasing out DLA and replacing it with PIP. Hence the assessment. My retirement age was 60, I'm now 66. I did keep on working for three more years, though only a couple of favoured jobs ( self employed) until my health and OHs dementia got in the way.

I guess there will be several like me as DLA comes to an end.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Today I got a text to remind me of an appt at the job centre for Monday

I rang the number to ask what time and was told 'oh you dont have to go its just incase you want a chat.:confused::confused::confused:

I am not going I am struggling with sorting out my benefits and paperwork it has made me feel VERY STRESSED.:eek::eek::eek:

Clive who helped me with my paperwork has moved house so I am now sinking under paper

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Sarah contact the CAB office to get help with your paperwork. Maybe someone else can advise where else you can get help in your area. I used Money Matters so sort out my husbands benefits for me. Take care. x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Today I got a text to remind me of an appt at the job centre for Monday

I rang the number to ask what time and was told 'oh you dont have to go its just incase you want a chat.:confused::confused::confused:

I am not going I am struggling with sorting out my benefits and paperwork it has made me feel VERY STRESSED.:eek::eek::eek:

Clive who helped me with my paperwork has moved house so I am now sinking under paper

I know the feeling Sarah. You obviously don't NEED to go which is good but you do need someone who can help you.

Do you have an Age UK that you could contact for help?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Got my pip result today, enhanced for mobility and daily living. Don't think the result was strictly accurate, some things I thought I could do better and somethings they said I can do, I can't. However, not going to complain.starting from 5 August, which swims a but if an arbitrary date to me. Glad I've got the paperwork, though, car tax runs out at end of July!

Creativesarah, hope yours is also successful.

Last edited:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Got a letter today from DWP

They say I don't qualify for ESA

Fortunately I rang immediately and they said that the letter shouldnt have come out to me and that I do qualify but a new letter will be sent out to me and that the first one should have been over written

thank goodness I rang immediately someone else might have killed themselves in the same situation

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009

Fortunately I rang immediately and they said that the letter shouldnt have come out to me and that I do qualify but a new letter will be sent out to me and that the first one should have been over written

thank goodness I rang immediately someone else might have killed themselves in the same situation

Sarah that must have been horrible:eek: Well done for dealing with it straight away and getting the response you needed.xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds

Oh Sarah, how awful! Well done for getting it sorted out straight away :) xx

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
You can apply for DLA in addition to ESA

Sue/Sarah, I think all new claimants have to apply for PIP (Personal Independence Payment) as DLA is being phased out. I hope the process is not too arduous - perhaps others can advise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R