at wits end with my Dad

pinklexy

Feb 6, 2014
Newcastle
Just looking for some advice really as not really sure what else we can do. The problem is that Dad lives alone and is lonely. He attends Luncheon clubs and really enjoys activities but its the morning and evenings he is so muddled.

We are very pro active and try to get him involved with things as much as possible but he lives in Bradford and I live in Newcastle and work full time and my sister although lives close works full time too.

He has attended various singing groups and cafes which he loves but can only attend if a carer can go with him and to be honest I am having to chase people all the time as noone rings back !!!!!

I know he will have good times and bad times but just need some advice - we do a weekly board with him to let him know whats happening but I just think its the lack of contact with people that make a difference as he gets bored too easily and when he has a problem with TV etc its hard to explain over the phone.

We have had a few people go out and offer support but like everything its a short term build hopes up and nothing happens.

I think we need some kind of befriender go in every day just for the crack really so if anyone has advice or other ideas I would be much appreciated

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You sound as if you are on top of what he needs and the next step is to bring it about. Do you know the dementia adviser for your area who organises the singing groups etc? They should know your Dad and if you phone them and explain that he needs someone to talk and take him out should be able to recommend someone suitable. There is a cost though.

You might also find little difference between the cost of that and a day in a day centre and again the adviser if they are any good should be able to recommend one with activities which might suit him.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Day Centres are brilliant places if you want to have contact with others as there are always activities going on. Also, a sitting service might help - they don't just sit with people as the name suggests but can also take them out to places.