Assistance in getting into SUV car

Alsh

Mar 27, 2023
I have an SUV Car which I have needed because of my back. My wife with Alzheimers coped ok in getting into it until the past month. She now takes such small steps she cannot lift her legs over the lip of the door, and the seat is too high for her to reverse into it. She is less than 5 ft tall.
I feel some kind of ramp or steps may be helpful but cannot see anything suitable.
Does anyone have any tips on how I can safely get her into the car.

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
Might it be safe to use a step-stool, the sort you might use for a child to reach the sink? But of course, strong enough for her weight? She might need assistance though, depending on her balance. I think asking for an occupational therapist to assess her needs in terms of getting into the car might be better, so whatever is provided suits her needs.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Might it be safe to use a step-stool, the sort you might use for a child to reach the sink? But of course, strong enough for her weight? She might need assistance though, depending on her balance. I think asking for an occupational therapist to assess her needs in terms of getting into the car might be better, so whatever is provided suits her needs.
I was thinking the same, the toilet step used when you are small, because i guess youneed to have it availible when you get where youare going too

Alsh

Mar 27, 2023
Thank you for all these good suggestions.
Toilet steps may be worth trying. Need to be small steps. Also maybe caravan steps though they look a little higher.
I will discuss with occupational therapist.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
I have exactly the same with my Mum - I have found one of these very useful and stable Step
While supporting her I get her to climb with both feet on the step, then turn around to face me (facing away from the interior of the car) and then put her bottom on the seat first before trying to get her legs in - hope that makes sense.

Aqua Marina

Dec 26, 2023
Is the seat height able to be lowered? I have mine pumped up to highest and now you've made me consider if I should drop the passenger seat for my Mum. we usually tell her to turn and sit on the seat first with her back to the car then she can pull her feet in and shuffle inwards on the seat if needed

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Is the seat height able to be lowered? I have mine pumped up to highest and now you've made me consider if I should drop the passenger seat for my Mum. we usually tell her to turn and sit on the seat first with her back to the car then she can pull her feet in and shuffle inwards on the seat if needed
I think there's a ' turntable ' type of seat that can be put on the seat that once person is facing the carer the person can sit and have the legs put into the car by the carer more easily. I can't do links, don't know how but Google "car seat turntable" and you'll see the type of thing in thinking of🤣

Alsh

Mar 27, 2023
Thanks for all suggestions. The seat is at the lowest level. The problem is that she now will hardly raise her feet off the ground- I have tried various forms of steps but none will encourage her to step up. I am waiting for an Occupational Therapist consultation. I still think some kind of ramp might work to get her to shuffle along to a height that she can turn with her back to the car and sit on the seat. But this would need a stable level at the top to allow her to turn. Cannot see anything on internet.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
If you can look on Amazon they have a folding step stool with handle ( sorry not sure how to post a link ) I think the handle makes things easier and being able to fold it makes transporting it easy. I am thinking of purchasing one myself for my husband as a favourite Tearoom has rather a high step and although I did buy a step stool it doesn't have a handle which I feel he needs. As mentioned a turntable for the seat or plastic bag will help her swivel into position.