Ashes

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
My sister and I are to take my Mum’s ashes, along with Dad’s, who died in 1998, my sister holds them, to be interred in the family graves outside Aberdeen. At the sametime my Great Aunt’s ashes are also to be interred. She passed in 2012 and her ashes are with the funeral director. This has been a real hurdle to organise. For anyone else who may be in the same boat in future : You can no longer send Ashes through the post (a courier costs a fortune , quote was fir over £700 from Lincolnshire.). You can however take them as hand luggage on flights (including to other countries). You need the Cremation Certificste and a letter/form from the funeral director. This is now our chosen option, we are going in September, plan is for a year from Mum’s funeral. Getting permission to put them in the graves has also been a challenge. My Aunt held the ‘layer’ certificate for one of the 2 graves (where we want to put her), so you would have thought no problem but not so, the council records had not been changed to give her ownership and there was no Will officially leaving it to her. We had to trace the whereabouts of the other 2 living relatives who might have a claim to the graves and get Indemnity Forms for all 3 lots of Ashes signed by them. My sister managed this in the end, I think she missed a career as a private detective. Now quite looking forward to this ‘Completion’. BUT, have decided will just ask to have my Ashes scattered when the time comes…..

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I do hope things go well for you.

On Saturday we’re interring my brother’s ashes in the grave where my mum, dad and husband are. Thankfully I had no complications.

Wishing you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alix0463