Anxiety Related Breathing Problems

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I have had a few problems with stress and tension and received some hypno therapy to help with deep relaxation.

I was offered an afternoon on 'Breathing Techniques' :rolleyes:.

It proved very interesting and I am now concentrating on breathing in and out of my nose :rolleyes::rolleyes: - not as easy as it sounds. It is supposed to make me more calm, relaxed and clear headed due to extra oxygen to my brain :):):):).

Its called the Buteyko Breathing Technique and if you google there are a few websites to explain.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When I`m still, I only breathe in and out of my nose Jan. But I cannot hold my `out` breath for 60 seconds, as I saw when I Googled. :eek:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
The fellow who explained it all had done a 10K marathon and only breathed in and out through his nose :rolleyes::rolleyes:. His whole image illustrated what a good effect this technique had on him. He was healthy, good humoured and quite normal :D:D.

I am hoping it can do the same for me (or at least half as much).

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
He was healthy, good humoured and quite normal .

Sounds like us lot Jan:D:D

I believe that breathing correctly is a real aid to making lots of things easier - swimming, walking, relaxing etc.etc. By breathing properly it enables me to swim many lengths without becoming tired. It would not be possible without breathing properly as one would be tired out fairly quickly. It's the same with walking uphill. The key is to breath right.

It's hard to breath and drink at the same time:D:p (whether wine or water)!!

I will look forward to your updates. I will now go and google as I have not heard of this technique so I am very interested.

Love

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
I am having a go now, candles lit, lavender oil and nasla breathing I WILL be calm!

Seriosuly I have used this technique and it does work xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Sounds like us lot Jan

That has made me giggle.

One thing he emphasised is when practising this technique is to have a smile or twinkle in your eye :rolleyes::rolleyes:;);););)
- I can do that bit! It helps with carbon dioxide or something similar.

So I am off to bed now with a smile and to practice my breathing.

Love

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
As soon as I start noticing my breathing, it somehow becomes more difficult and I get palpitations and go light headed. I've no idea what a normal breath (for me) is!

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hi Jan, I sometimes listen to some relaxation hypnotherapy CD's and they also tell you to focus on your breathing. They always send me to sleep and I always feel better and more relaxed and confident for listening to them. So a real fan of the technique here too, although I don't know what it's called!

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

I read the Buteyko book a few years ago, and tried it myself , and it did work for me.

I tend to use the techniques when trying to sleep now, and I find it a good way to stop 'overbreathing', which I was doing before.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I am using a book of five minute meditations which was suggested on here a little while ago, so far I have only done the breathing work, but it has made so much difference to me being better able to fall asleep and feeling more relaxed. I think it helps too in that i feel I am doing something constructive to help myself. I will look up this buteyko technique as well though.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Jan sorry you are feeling more anxious than usual, hope the breathing , helps, I shall take a look and try it, but I do struggle with technique even whilst doing yoga. Is anything specific worrying you at moment. or just the normal day to day anxieties of living with a partner with AD, this miserable weather, worries about NHS cuts etc, think we will feel better when we have had some sun on our backs and dug the ground.Take care my lovely friend. think of you daily love Pam

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks for all your messages.

I tried this breathing thing at pilates last evening - I did feel much brighter today, so....

Its the breathing out through the nose that is hard but apparently is beneficial. Most fitness instructors tell you to breathe out through mouth.

Thought I had better report in otherwise Deborah will think I am not practicing and worry about my survival ;).

together

May 25, 2010
Derbyshire
Have just been looking at the website too but stood no chance at the 60 second breathe out. Have always struggled with controlled breathing, swimming, cycling, first aid training - always being shouted at to 'breathe'! May be better with meditation - am struggling with what are like panic attacks 30 min or so after falling asleep. Google it and it seems quite common. On beta blockers for day time palpitations but it's scary at night. May try your technique again tomorrow when not so tired.