Am I doing the right thing?

Bay Tree

Jun 19, 2023
Hello. Just wanted a bit of advice or other people's experiences. My OH is happy to go to various sessions. There's a Cognitive Therapy group on Monday afternoons - the afternoon isn't great as he's dressed and ready to go from early morning but he enjoys it. He goes to Singing for the Brain on Tuesday mornings which he loves. He's recently started a Thursday morning dementia activity club which he also enjoys. Today he attended the club for the whole day, including lunch. He's come home absolutely wiped out and overwhelmed and I suspect over the next couple of days he will struggle to do anything & will be even more confused and disorientated - this tends to happen every time he does too much. He gets very tired and has a daily nap is very disorientated at home finding the rooms in our house. He can't go out on his own anymore as he gets lost. .
I suggested the whole day session so that I would have more time to myself - the half days see me running about so not much of a break. I wonder if I am doing the right thing in 'encouraging' him to go for a whole day, which has lots of activity and interaction with staff. I want to get the balance right for both of us so I get some respite and he gets to spend time with other people and have some stimulation, which he isn't really getting at home. I'm wondering if I am pushing him a bit too much and that might have the effect of him not wanting to go out at all..

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
See how it goes @Bay Tree

mum would be wiped out after family visits for a few days but she just slept more and it was no problem.

Did he enjoy it? you sounded like you need the day which is equally important.

Keep the routine for the next few weeks before you make any decisions.

When mum moved into residential care she was initially far too overstimulated but adjusted to it after a while.

You need the break so give it a trial - my advice anyway xxx

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hello. Just wanted a bit of advice or other people's experiences. My OH is happy to go to various sessions. There's a Cognitive Therapy group on Monday afternoons - the afternoon isn't great as he's dressed and ready to go from early morning but he enjoys it. He goes to Singing for the Brain on Tuesday mornings which he loves. He's recently started a Thursday morning dementia activity club which he also enjoys. Today he attended the club for the whole day, including lunch. He's come home absolutely wiped out and overwhelmed and I suspect over the next couple of days he will struggle to do anything & will be even more confused and disorientated - this tends to happen every time he does too much. He gets very tired and has a daily nap is very disorientated at home finding the rooms in our house. He can't go out on his own anymore as he gets lost. .
I suggested the whole day session so that I would have more time to myself - the half days see me running about so not much of a break. I wonder if I am doing the right thing in 'encouraging' him to go for a whole day, which has lots of activity and interaction with staff. I want to get the balance right for both of us so I get some respite and he gets to spend time with other people and have some stimulation, which he isn't really getting at home. I'm wondering if I am pushing him a bit too much and that might have the effect of him not wanting to go out at all..
Can you ask if he can have his lunch and then be put in a comfy chair, somewhere quiet and have a rest or nap?

Bay Tree

Jun 19, 2023
See how it goes @Bay Tree

mum would be wiped out after family visits for a few days but she just slept more and it was no problem.

Did he enjoy it? you sounded like you need the day which is equally important.

Keep the routine for the next few weeks before you make any decisions.

When mum moved into residential care she was initially far too overstimulated but adjusted to it after a while.

You need the break so give it a trial - my advice anyway xxx
Thank you - I'm going to take your advice and give it longer.