Alzheimer's and Long Covid

Tetley

Feb 29, 2024
Hi, I was diagnosed with Long Covid in October 21 and Alzheimer's in June 22. The advice for how best to live with one condition is totally opposite to how to live with the other. Is there anyone who is in the same situation as me or knows of someone like me. I don't know if anyone and feel extremely isolated.
Thank you, Tetley

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Tetley and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I have no experience of this issue but have attached a link from the Alzheimer's Society's website which i hope may be of some help to you. You might also find it useful to contact the society's help desk for advice. Again i have attached a link.

I hope that this helps a little and that other members who have experience of this come along to advise you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Tetley and welcome

There is quite a lot of different advice being given for long covid - are you being seen in a long covid clinic and what advice is it that you are being given?

Tetley

Feb 29, 2024
Hello @Tetley and welcome

There is quite a lot of different advice being given for long covid - are you being seen in a long covid clinic and what advice is it that you are being given?
I am in regular contact with the local Long Covid hub run by the NHS. Everything I do is based around not using all my energy. The fatigue I suffer with is soon used up and I easily get exhausted. Eg, If I'm reading or chatting to a friend, I should do that for just half an hour and then rest for at least that length of time to let my battery recharge. Walking got me thru Covid but now I can only walk a short distance without getting exhausted. I have been lucky to get an early diagnosis of the Alzheimer's, so it's still early stages for me (I'm 73 by the way) so I would like to make the most of this time enjoying doing things with my family and friends while I can. The fatigue and other problems are putting a stop to that. Hope this makes sense.
Thank you. Tetley
PS It's taken me well over an hour to type this out and I'm absolutely worn out. Thank heavens for my husband and the restorative power of tea! ....plus a belief that as long as I can retain my sense of humour things can't be that bad

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for getting back to me and explaining @Tetley

The usual recommendations for dementia is, of course, to keep active and keep your brain working, so I can see where the conflict comes in. I would suggest that you keep as active as possible, but keep to the recommendations from the long covid clinic. Use your time wisely, delegate boring stuff (like housework), simplify your life as much as possible and save your energy for things that you enjoy.

I have a Home Help from Age UKs Help at Home scheme to help with laundry and housework and this may be something that you would find beneficial. I also have a gardener who does most of the work so I can sit out in the garden and enjoy it - it gives me a lot of pleasure to see the plants blooming and the birds and butterflies coming into the garden.
Do hobbies that you like doing and can do in your own time - painting, knitting, jigsaws or whatever. They can be picked up and then put down again when you tire.
Dont turn your nose up at a wheelchair if it means you can get out with family and friends. Get a folding one that can fit in the boot of a car. Then when you go out you can walk as far as you can, but then when you tire you can sit in the wheelchair - just dont pick rough terrain or lots of hills and steps!!

Go luck and go for it
xxx