Alternative to milk?Lactose free

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
My mum doesn't tolerate cows milk these days.I make her porridge in the morning and had been just using water but feel something that has the texture of milk would helped it glide along her gut better.Does anyone know any good alternates that are not too pricey that will do the trick and hopefully not constipate and are easily digested?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i used soya milk when my daughter was intolerant to cows milk. its widely available in shops now. coconut milk is another that is for lactose intolerant

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I use soya milk all the time, usually Asda's own that is pretty reasonably priced. I've also used various other milks. Oat milk might work well in porridge and I like almond milk on cereal too. Check the allergy list on the box first though.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I noticed the other day how many different milk alternative products there were in the supermarket. I am sure they all taste disgusting but you could keep trying different products until you make progress.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats not fair. if you need alternative milk product then try them. i ve tried almond milk in tea and didnt like it but that was the first time.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My daughter is lactose intolerant and buys lactose free cows milk which is available in all supermarkets. Own brand but arla otherwise.

There was a period last year when there was a supply issue and she tried various of the alternatives (almond oat soya etc) to find one she liked for her cereal. I think these are personal taste. Most supermarkets have a free from chiller cabinet.

She also takes lactase enzyme tablets when eating a meal with dairy in e.g. pizza. She buys boots ones as these were highly recommended on forums.

She was officially diagnosed via GP. She has severe upset stomach with severe cramps when she forgets to take tablets.

However she can only tolerate so much dairy even with tablets.

She is on her early 20s so opting for cows milk means she gets a good calcium intake. Not so important in an older person.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Thanks everyone for all of your help,it's made me smile this morning reading all of your suggestions:)

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
I've just got back from my nearest shop and picked up a Sainsburys own Lactose free skimmed milk

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
Lidl do a lactose free milk which is a fraction of the price of the other major supermarkets. I use that in coffee but soya milk for porridge and tea. I too like the Asda soya milk but Lidl and Tesco are also okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyandJean