Almost constant state of delusion

Hubbie

Jan 1, 2022
My 64 year old wife is about 9 years into the Alzheimer's variant Posterior cortical atrophy. The progress of her condition was relatively slow for most of this period but there has been a rapid decline over the past month and she now lives in a constant state of delusion. Its hard enough trying to keep her settled during the day but she is also waking up confused in the nighttime. Last night she woke at 3am and talked continuously through the night about having cancer (she doesn't) and the police being on our lawn (they weren't) and this has continued for the past 7 hours, usually talking to people who aren't there.
A previous visit to the GP didn't instill me with confidence that they appreciate the seriousness of her condition. She isn't on any medication at the moment but I don't think we can carry on like this. Is anyone aware of a medicine that would help? Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
My wife is at that stage. She talks to pictures as if they were real and has some amazing conversations with them. She also talks to imaginary people and gets more and more intense in the conversations getting to the point where she gets annoyed with them. My answer is to start to get involved in the conversations and quickly distract her onto something else and she appears to then stop or sometimes I ask her to be quiet as I'm listening to something. May not work but worth a try as no 2 people with dementia are the same.

Hubbie

Jan 1, 2022
My wife is at that stage. She talks to pictures as if they were real and has some amazing conversations with them. She also talks to imaginary people and gets more and more intense in the conversations getting to the point where she gets annoyed with them. My answer is to start to get involved in the conversations and quickly distract her onto something else and she appears to then stop or sometimes I ask her to be quiet as I'm listening to something. May not work but worth a try as no 2 people with dementia are the same.
Thanks. I have used similar distraction techniques and up to about a week ago they worked but now nothing seems to work.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
You can go to the GP and tell them she is terrible at night (opinion) or you can go to the GP with an A4 form with time slots though the night at 15 minute intervals, E.G
2.00. Went to toilet
2.15 would not return to bed.
2.30 In lounge complaining she can see children playing on lawn. Hot chocolate made for her, and one slice of toast.
2.45 Not returning to bed. Has turned on Tv but not watching.

Once you write it down it is evidence, not opinion.
If her body clock has gone you have big problems.
You need to return to the GP, losing that much sleep is bad for your own health.

There can be mixed opinions about feeding people at night. ( rewarding bad behaviour???)
I have strong opinions on this when it comes to dementia. If they don’t remember the snack in the morning then how can this apply?
So my advice is full tummies help sleep.