Activities

nancymay

Oct 12, 2023
Hi my sister has alzheimer's she's only 75years and I'm desperately looking for some ideas for activities we can do together in her room , her conversation is now very limited, I feel sad when I leave her as I don't like her just sitting on her own , we have had little trips out but at the moment her blood pressure is not good so we can't go out , any ideas would be appreciated, thankyou

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @nancymay . Do you think your sister would enjoy looking at magazines with you? My dad liked architecture so anything like that was good for him. Sometimes I’d take in my iPad and see if anything was interesting to him - even when he didn’t talk much we could have a conversation of sorts about things which sparked his memory or interest.

Family photo albums worked sometimes - but don’t leave valued photos. I made copies of some for dad to keep in his room.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hi @nancymay, mum would sit for ages going through her button box, and she also enjoyed winding balls of knitting wool (I unravelled them on purpose). These are beyond her now but she will sometimes watch The Sound of Music. I think a lot depends on your sister's interests prior to Alzheimer's

nancymay

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @nancymay . Do you think your sister would enjoy looking at magazines with you? My dad liked architecture so anything like that was good for him. Sometimes I’d take in my iPad and see if anything was interesting to him - even when he didn’t talk much we could have a conversation of sorts about things which sparked his memory or interest.

Family photo albums worked sometimes - but don’t leave valued photos. I made copies of some for dad to keep in his room.