A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Aw Sylvia. I have no words.

I'll try to keep up to date this week.

Love. xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
From the beginning of her illness Helen has fought her corner and has been determined to be in control of her own destiny, so I am not surprised that she is still doing her utmost to do so for a long as she possibly can. It may not make for an easy passage from this world but, as you so rightly say, Sylvia, even though this must be so very difficult for you, her family and those trying to help, Helen is the one making this journey.

I thought hospices were peaceful places.

I hope you are able to have some well deserved rest now Sylvia. xxx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
It's beyond my understanding how anybody copes when faced with this. I simply don't know what to say, other than I am thinking of you all and hoping that things get easier.

With love to you all xx

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
So sad for you all.
I have a little understanding, my sister also knew how she wanted things to be & we all wanted that to be so.

It's hard to have to stand by & feel helpless.

Much love to you all x

Lin x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I hope you are able to relax and find some pleasure in this very difficult day, Sylvia. What an absolute gidsend you are to be able to see Helen through these sad times.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sadly for many, the Hospices are often too busy to be peaceful.....whatever the perceived ideal:rolleyes:
Helen is going to fight to the very end.......unfortunately some of the time, her fight is with her own self. Indeed, she is "Raging against the dying of the light". It is her fighting spirit which has carried her this far, and it is this same spirit that might well be denying her the very peace she deserves..... Poor love.

Sylvia, please take care.You need rest as well, this must be very draining to bear.

Love as always to you all.....Maureen.x.x.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Sadly for many, the Hospices are often too busy to be peaceful.....whatever the perceived ideal:rolleyes:
Helen is going to fight to the very end.......unfortunately some of the time, her fight is with her own self. Indeed, she is "Raging against the dying of the light". It is her fighting spirit which has carried her this far, and it is this same spirit that might well be denying her the very peace she deserves..... Poor love.

Sylvia, please take care.You need rest as well, this must be very draining to bear.

Love as always to you all.....Maureen.x.x.

I think Maureen has put it so well. Reading back on this thread, one can see how Helen has struggled to understand that things can't be just so for everyone at just the exact time -- nursing and beds need a certain amount of organising. But if this is how her fighting spirit must manifest itself, then that's how it will be, but I do hope for peace from within for Helen, and all of you who are trying your best for her.
I am sure your calming presence is much appreciated Sylvia.
Wishing you all a peaceful night. xxxx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
She also wanted the best for everyone,a true carer,now she wants the best for herself,I would too.We all have had to battle for good care for our loved ones,one way or another,and end of life care should be the best it can be.

I so agree with you Kassy, Helen has always given her very best and it may not be an ideal world but we still need to strive for the best for one another especially in end of life care.

I hope Helen is calm and peaceful and all of her loved ones too.xxx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
You sound exhausted Sylvia, and no wonder. There may be many difficult days ahead so please take every opportunity to get some sleep. xx

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
It's another day over for me. I hope the rest of the day is peaceful for you all and the night passes calmly.

You're all never far from my thoughts.

xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I've just watched the last part of the Proms and was reminded of the lyrics of Ahr hyd a nos...All through the night.

One English translation is as follows:

Sleep my child and peace attend thee,
All through the night
Guardian angels God will send thee,
All through the night
Soft the drowsy hours are creeping
Hill and vale in slumber steeping,
I my loving vigil keeping
All through the night.

While the moon her watch is keeping
All through the night
While the weary world is sleeping
All through the night
O'er thy spirit gently stealing
Visions of delight revealing
Breathes a pure and holy feeling
All through the night.

........for all of you watching and waiting tonight.....God Bless. Sleep well.x.x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dismayed to read that today has been an upsetting one for Helen. Consequently for you, Sylvia, and Martin. When you later returned to the hospice I do hope you found Helen calmer.

I also thought hospices were peaceful places. Being surrounded by chatter and business sounds the opposite and similar to how hospitals now are. Not ideal for patients very ill, recovering from surgery or dying. But sadly that’s the way it now is in hospitals.

I’ve often been to our local hospice where the NHS lymphoedema clinic is, and in several of the rooms and there is a sense of quiet peacefulness about the place, but I have never been in any of the hospice wards.

Until I heard references to wards I had thought that hospices had individual rooms.

As has been said Helen has always had a fighting spirit and fought for what she considered best for her and her medical condition so I also am not surprised that this continues. But for her peace of mind I hope she can see what you do, Sylvia, and that she is receiving good care. That is the priority.

Wishing for calm and peacefulness tonight.

With love
Loo xxx

Last edited:

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Oh my , it's ages since I've caught up here . I first joined TP and and found your thread of your holiday together which has always stuck with me.
I'm so sorry Helen is going through such trouble getting the care in place.
My sil couldn't fault her mums hospice time recently, said they were fantastic .
I will join on and wish for a peaceful night .
Xxx Kerry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.