A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
That’s lovely to hear about your granddaughter...I was very close to my Nan when I was a young mum. I used to visit her every week with my youngest son when he was two or three. The ladies in the care home used to make a real fuss of him, while I chatted to Nan. She was so astute and quite political right up to her death at 90. And if I wanted to give my eldest daughter advice I’d do it through my mum! She would phone me and say, Nanna says I should do so and so. Oh, what a good idea, I’d say! Ha! The secret will be out when she reads this thread! (@Bs7ear).

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
When my grandchildren were small I saw them daily and did the school run and looked after them in the school holidays, until Dhiren`s needs overtook everything.

Then the teenage years came when I hardly saw them except at family gatherings for birthdays and Christmas and occasional summer barbecues. During these years I was fully occupied caring for Dhiren so had little time for them even when I did see them.

My middle granddaughter is home from University and she visited on Thursday. She stayed all afternoon and between us we put the world to rights talked about grandpa and shared many experiences. :)
She asked for the recipe for lentil dahl. I don`t have a recipe and it was difficult to tell her the quantities so I suggested we made it together and then she would know.
We had another lovely evening yesterday, making the dahl. We dined together, spent the rest of the evening chatting and I sent her home with the left overs.

It was so good to have this time with her.
What a wonderful post, Sylvia :D Grandparent / child relationships can be so special I think - and it certainly sounds like you have a great one! Ah, I feel almost teary xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Lindy.

I realised , thinking about it, I rarely see individual grandchildren alone. They are always in the family group . I think being alone with Lucy for a good few hours, was what made it so special.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I think being alone with Lucy for a good few hours, was what made it so special.

Your grand-daughter's visits did sound very special, Sylvia, and yes it is the few times we can have with them alone. This can become less often once they leave childhood - busy growing up - and such times increasingly precious.

When Kerry was here from Australia I saw her three times, although not long spells, and the middle visit was special because it was just we two and baby Isla. We had such a good chat together.

It leaves you with a warm glow, and also talking together about her grandpa would be meaningful to each of you.

I was close to each grandmother although saw more of one than the other, and as Lindy said the grandparent/grandchild relationships can be very special. Mine with each very different grandmother influenced my life in many ways and memories remain strong.

Lovely to read about your time together, thank you for sharing.

Loo xxx

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Two very perfect days for you Sylvia. Chatting and cooking together. It’s so right that they always seem to come as a package and one to one with them is very special. I’m sure she too enjoyed your undivided attention and company. I like to think we are very special people in our grandchildren’s lives.

I see our eldest granddaughter several times a week as I help with childcare, so I have quality time with our great grandson and we have had days out together.

Our middle granddaughter I rarely see though in the last 6 weeks we have lunched together twice and that was fun. She has so many plans and places to go, if she achieves half of it she will have had a wonderful life.

Our youngest granddaughter is just three I looked after for the day a few weeks ago whilst Mum and Dad took her brother to Wembley. We played all day and it was all make believe, she needed nothing, it was all pretend. So lovely to see her use her imagination, reminded me a little of life in the nursing home when my husband was seeing things and I pretended to see them too only one was joyous and one sad.

Grandchildren are a joy and we are lucky to be able to spend some time with them.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My paternal grandmother died when I was three so I didn`t know her.

My maternal grandmother was special to me too. I spent a lot of time with her and she told the most wonderful stories.
Her father was a Russian immigrant who escaped the Pogroms. He was a master tailor and my grandmother was his needle threader. She used to go with him in a horse and cart to deliver suits.
My mother found a painting which reminded her of her grandfather and I have the painting now. I`ll try to post a photo of it. Everyone who comes to the house is really taken by it.

Attachments

• 3832BB7F-939F-4CC0-AF55-83A5DE86BAEA.jpeg
    3832BB7F-939F-4CC0-AF55-83A5DE86BAEA.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Family history is so fascinating, isn't it? A lot of my father's family back a couple of generations were tailors, and my maternal grandmother was a milliner, and mum was a dressmaker.
I love the painting too, Sylvia. Very evocative.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Lovely of your granddaughter to come and spend time with you, and what a good idea to make the dhal together.

The painting is very evocative (that is exactly the right word, LadyA). It made me think of a programme a few years ago called Secret History of Our Streets. I think the one I am thinking of is about Arnold Circus and the first residents I think were mainly Jews who had fled persecution and worked in tailoring.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Really lovely and interesting posts :D and I too love the picture Sylvia.

I have to say that the arrival of our first grandchild last year, and the time since, has been one of the best times of my life. I can love him wholly and unreservedly and best of all, it's a love that I share with my OH :) Although he has always been very considerate and kind with mum, he obviously doesn't love her quite as I do.....partly because he lost both his parents quite suddenly when he was in his twenties, so doesn't have the experience of them getting gradually older and sicker....and can't help but feel differently.

I wasn't very close to any of my grandparents myself, although we did live with my mums parents for a year or so when I was about three and I just about remember it ( including the outside loo with spiders, and the tin bath!) Our own daughters were very close to my parents and I'm so pleased that OH and I can now take on that role with our own grandson.
Our other daughter is having trouble conceiving and apart from the obvious implications, I grieve for her that she may never have a grandchild....:( X

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
The painting is beautiful Sylvia, and yes, evocative as @LadyA said.

I was very fortunate to have known and been close to both my grandmothers and one grandfather - the other died two months after my birth. It saddened me that our children were less fortunate -except for Henry's Dad who adored them and they him.

But Henry's mother had a serious stroke when 52 and died 12 years later - developed dementia in the later years although I didn't at that time have knowledge of dementia and thought of her behaviour as stroke related.

Henry's Dad gave up work when he was 54 to be her fulltime devoted carer. So our children never really knew their paternal grandmother although younger Lorraine did have a special connection with her. Still talks about her.

My parents marriage ended when I was 7 months pregnant with Elaine, they each remarried and became engrossed in their new lives.

You would learn a lot from your maternal grandmother about that side of the family - as I did from mine. I have never heard of the Pogroms until now. I had a late quick skim online last night and will later read more.

I was aware of persecution in Europe prior to the 1930s but no knowledge of the years before then.

It explains a lot to me from researching Glasgow social history (family history research) and wondering why from early 1900's onwards the Jewish population soared from a very small number no more than double figures, to many thousands of Jewish immigrants..

They settled not far from the Glasgow docks in what became established as a Jewish community for many years. In later years a number of large departments stores in Glasgow with Jewish names. Such as Goldberg's (1908-1990) and eventually in Edinburgh and many Scottish towns.

Founded by Abraham Goldberg who started by buying bales of cloth and at home making piece-goods to sell to wholesalers. Then later opening a small drapery.

I must ask a Yorkshire close friend of many years if she knows about the Pogroms. Her late husband was Jewish, his grandparents Russian immigrants along with other relatives about the time I read of last night. Late 19th/early 20th century.

Thanks Sylvia. Apologies for my lengthy post. :oops:

Loo xxx

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Grandparents are very special people. I knew my two grandmothers and my maternal grandfather, my paternal grandfather having died when my father was a boy. They all died when I was a teenager. I was just starting to know them as individuals, as opposed to just being my grandparents, when they died. I miss them still.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thank you Sylvia.

I remember Topol, singing 'If I were a Rich Man', yet don't think I did see the film. We didn't often go to the cinema as had no child minders! The 1970's a 'busy' decade. If it was later on TV I obviously either missed it or was otherwise occupied....

I have had a read of a review, and got the gist of the story - definitely a portrayal of the Pogroms period.
Loo xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I only had a vague recollection of the film, Fiddler on the Roof, but I took mum to our local Theatre (a gorgeous, restored old Theatre) to see the local Musical Society, who are amateur, but easily good enough to be professional, put on the show in May this year. Truly excellent performance.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Her father was a Russian immigrant who escaped the Pogroms

Just catching up on things and skim read, but my maternal grandfather was a Russian immigrant - based on the date he came to London, I assumed he came to escape the pogroms, he lived on Brick Lane when my mum was born - at that time a Jewish enclave.

Status
Not open for further replies.