A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
I'm not surprised Sylvia you felt wobbly going to the shops, you took a nasty tumble the other day and it will take sometime for the bruising to go. Glad to hear more positive news about Helen being in the day hospice with her daughter.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hope the wobbles have eased Sylvia. Being in the house and being out are so different. The latter can take you by surprise and especially after a fall. Good to get out but be kind to yourself.

The news of Helen does sound good except for the sickness. I hope that passes and she stays stable, it would do her good to be out of the ward and relax in the day centre with Mandy.

Thank you for the update.

Love
Loo xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had news from Mandy that Helen is expected to go home on Thursday. She is struggling with bouts of depression but still had her hair cut, participated in games in the day hospice and won, had a massage , then fell asleep.

She said every time she woke she looked so grateful Mandy and Martin were there .

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Sylvia, I hope Helen's wish will come to fruition and appropriate home care has been put in place.

Also hope your bruises are beginning to heal?

Love

Lyn T XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks all.

I hate to be negative but the care at home Helen will receive will not be a patch on the hospice care. It`s hard knowing how much to sacrifice. Still she has no choice because I was told the hospice is not for long term stay with only 12 beds.

My bruising is healing thank you Lyn. It still looks bad but isn`t as painful.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope Helen's move to home will go well. Wishing all three much strength for when the time comes.

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Thanks all.

I hate to be negative but the care at home Helen will receive will not be a patch on the hospice care. It`s hard knowing how much to sacrifice. Still she has no choice because I was told the hospice is not for long term stay with only 12 beds.

My bruising is healing thank you Lyn. It still looks bad but isn`t as painful.

I don't think you are being negative Sylvia. Just realistic. I hope Helens time at home is peaceful.

Kim xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Helen's particular situation just goes to point out the failings in the palliative care system.
Because the Hospices fall outside the NHS remit, there will always be a shortage of funding and inequality in services provided. We are fortunate in our area that we have a very high functioning Local Hospice, but even they become over stretched...of course they do, there can never be sufficient facitilies to meet the demand.

So I'm pleased to hear your bruised and battered bits are feeling a bit better. Have you started your packing for your trip yet? I'm planning my trip to London next week.

Hope today is a good one...love Maureen.x.x.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve spoken to Martin. The bed is being delivered tomorrow and he`s putting a television up on the wall. He is trying to be positive, said the same as Mandy, Helen had a good day yesterday in the day hospice. He also said her mood is very changeable.

I haven`t started packing yet Maureen. I`ve a couple of days away this week first , meeting up with friends, then I`ve a full week to get ready for Bratislava. I`m relieved and grateful Paul will take me to the airport and pick me up, so no dreaded escalators to navigate with suitcases. :)

I hope you have a lovely time in London next week.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Thanks Sylvia, I'm working on a very flexible itinerary, which includes lots of cup of coffee and ( small) cake stops...with the odd glass of wine thrown in for good measure.:rolleyes::D:D

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Sorry not been able to post for a while but you and Helen and family are never far from my thoughts. Sorry about your fall and hope the healing will be complete Sylvia and :) you have a holiday on the horizon.

I am glad Helen is to return home and wondered if Marie Curie care are able to provide any additional input? as they do night sitting - maybe/hopefully the hospice have considered/actioned this as Martin and Mandy will need as much, non intrusive support as is possible.
With lovexxx:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry not been able to post for a while but you and Helen and family are never far from my thoughts. Sorry about your fall and hope the healing will be complete Sylvia and :) you have a holiday on the horizon.

I am glad Helen is to return home and wondered if Marie Curie care are able to provide any additional input? as they do night sitting - maybe/hopefully the hospice have considered/actioned this as Martin and Mandy will need as much, non intrusive support as is possible.
With lovexxx:)

That's a thought. We had Marie Cure nurses who did night sits when mum was dying. They were so good. I had always thought they only helped people who had a diagnosis of cancer. Our district nurse service organised it for us.

I agree that Martin and Manda need as much support as they can get. Especially overnight.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Like you, Izzie, when I was caring for my dad the District Nurses organised Marie Curie Nurses to sit overnight, but we also had a Hospice at Home service which provided sitters and things like aromatherapy and massage during the day.

This was in Nottinghamshire but is a few years ago and things may well have changed due to funding.

However if Helen is placed on 'end of life care' and chooses to be at home then support should be made available for the carers. My hope is that the hospice will put everything in place before Helen goes home.

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosaleen1943