A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

normelle

Apr 25, 2010
bournemouth
Hi sylvia

This is normelle. As you know i don't post nowadays

But thought i would say that i liked the photo of you both also.
Good luck with your ecg

I took some lovely red roses over to Dave. And a small red balon

Its been 2 years 8 months now. And i miss him like crazy

Hope you are all still keeping your eyes on my moon. When it comes
Love to all that know me.
Love. Normelle. Xxxxx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Sylvia

Beautiful photo and I am sure that there will be plenty more Taichi meals for you to eat at a later date!

Good luck with the ECG.

Sheena

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Another lovely photo, the roses and your card. Even although Dhiren won't now focus on them or know they were for him, he was happy when you took them to him yesterday. He had his 'moment' on the day. They come, they go, and while they last they are precious.

But sorry to read you have health problems, Sylvia. Wishing you the best outcome on 26th of your blood tests and ECG.

Loo xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren greeted me today speaking either Hindi or Bengali. I don`t know which because I don`t know either, but I recognised it as a language rather than gobbledygook.

His first sentence, I guessed correctly, was akin to `What have you brought me to eat?` It was the routine and the intonation which helped and for a while he was happy to eat the slices of Madeira cake I`d taken.

But he had such a lot to tell me and I didn`t understand a word. I did ask him to try to speak English because I was having trouble understanding him and eventually the penny seemed to drop.

By the time I left he was speaking English but with an increase in word finding difficulties.

Paul had mentioned this happening on his previous visits but I hadn`t noticed it. I did ask one of the carers if he had noticed an increase in Dhiren`s use of an Indian language and he had.

So now I wait and see what tomorrow brings.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
It's a shame that you couldn't catch his meaning Sylvia, but nice that he had a lot to tell you. :) I don't suppose there are any Hindi or Bengali staff at the home? Or whether they have access to interpreters?

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Bless you Sylvia thats a bit tricky to put it mildly

We have got a portugese girl staying with us with her baby and none of us speak portugese but we are muddling through and the baby is such a pretty little dear so cheerful and 15 monthe old

Last night I uploaded an app onto my phone that translates english into portugeues cant spellit let alone say anything in it. I cant remember amything she taught us but i recognise the word for bottle! (baby's not wine!)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Sarah.
I imagine you are used to interpreting lots of different languages with the visitors you get from all over the world.

I don't suppose there are any Hindi or Bengali staff at the home? Or whether they have access to interpreters?
There are two Bengali speakers Deborah and the owners speak Hindi.
In the past I discouraged them from speaking to Dhiren in Bengali or Hindi. With their best intentions they caused an increase in confusion for him. He spoke the wrong languages to the wrong people.

If they are on duty I will be able to ask for an interpretation.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
That's so difficult for you, to know he was communicating , but not knowing what he was saying.

It's those times you wish for magic voice changers, the ones in Dr who, Where you could wear an ear piece that translated any language so you can understand whats said.

Tomorrow is another time for him, if you can, forget it, remember he communicated, forget that you couldn't understand.

Oooh much sympathy for your hurt, guilt.

Huge hugs.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you 2jays.:)

I`m not hurt, nor do I feel guilt. It`s no one`s fault and Dhiren wasn`t upset, frustrated or cross.

Up until now I have managed to bluff my way through. It might be another story if I`m unable to do this but I`ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't know if it helps, but while you can't understand him, he can probably understand you, and as you are now very experienced at saying what he expects to hear on the basis of non-verbal clues, I suspect this is rather more confusing for you than it is for him.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You are correct Jennifer, so far.
I do manage to suss out what he wants and if not , can give an ambiguous response which he accepts.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sylvia

That must be so difficult, but as you say you know Dhiren so well that you can anticipate his needs, as long as he is content I know you will be too.

Helen x x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
You've got the right attitude, it's just the disease. He'll most likely fluctuate back and forth for a long time between languages.

My mother learned French when she was about 16 and I occasionally use it when I want to say something to her I don't necessarily want anyone else around me to understand. Fortunately there aren't very many French-speaking persons and I know who they are. So I can say whatever I like :D I'm not sure if she understands me but she seems to.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Language is a funny thing isn't it. Dave isn't a Welsh speaker naturallly, coming friom the south of Pembrokeshire which, unlike the north, is predominantly English speaking, but he has a smattering of words and phrases. However, the carers are often telling me that he was speaking in Welsh to them and they couldn't understand what he was saying. Probably only a few words but may not have even been Welsh!

As long as there is communication of sorts, it all helps I think, don't you Sylvia? - and we know our husbands so well, sometimes words aren't necessary. X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The doctor was called to see Dhiren yesterday. He has a swollen foot. His legs are crossed permanently now , although staff at the home have tried to discourage it, and the weight of one foot continually pressing down on the other has affected his circulation . All obs were fine but he has to have blood tests, not that I know what for.

I have a big bean bag foot support and Paul will take it to the home for him. It won`t solve the problem of crossed legs but at least it will help Dhiren keep his feet raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.