A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
In Ken's care home, 4 carers, one manager, one deputy manager and roughly from 20 to 24 residents, all with dementia needs, many of whom need a great deal of attention and assistance.

All the carers dedicated and working from their hearts, all the managers working to keep a place afloat with smaller and smaller budgets and too few workers for the flux of resident's needs as and when they occur.

No matter how we wish to keep a thread free from other matters, these things raise their heads simply because your husband and my husband, you and me, are experiencing it and living it.

xxTinaT

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Bless you Sylvia, thank goodness Dhiren knew you were there for him as you always are, hope you feel better now, you are always here for us and we are here for you, love Pauline xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear, dear Sylvia,

I too am sorry to see that you were feeling low yesterday, and even more sorry if reading my poem helped to contribute to it. To put it quite simply, we are grieving, aren't we, over what we and our dear husbands have lost and the future we might still have had together. It's gone. And some days we deal with it better than others.

On the day I wrote those verses I was particularly low and weepy. It helps me to "get it down". Other days I am brighter and was told only a week ago "You're looking well" - the speaker had no idea that Brian had not long gone into care, was having falls, etc. etc..

I suppose it will always be like this, good days and not so good, and we can but hope that given time there will be more good days in the ratio.

I hope you are feeling better to-day. It was lovely to read how Dhiren was very much calmed by your presence and reassurances at the care home.

Thinking of you and sending love,
Nan XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Nan

Please don't stop writing your poems. I never read the poem section at one time but seem to be drawn to yours.
People tell me how well I look and I am well, I just have a few off days. Only a week or two ago I posted 'life is good'. I felt it was and it still is, it could be a lot worse. But I've had enough peace on my own by the seaside, and enough solitude. The novelty has worn off.
I suppose an odd day of self pity harms no one. Xx

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia,

I can imagine that Dhiren was frightened to death but I was glad that you were there to witness what happened as the effects of it might have come out later and you wouldn't have understood what it was all about;)

wondering who I was kidding about getting my life back, when all the things I`m doing are second best, needs must, trying to make the best of my lot, type of things.

You are 'living' your life as best as you can under the circumstances and that is a real blessing. Hard times may yet come and each day of your life is precious. You are living your life whilst the window of opportunity presents itself;):)

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,

People tell me how well I look and I am well, I just have a few off days.

It goes with the territory, I think.

But I've had enough peace on my own by the seaside, and enough solitude. The novelty has worn off.

The peace and solitude are wonderful initially after the chaos and turmoil of 24/7 care.

But you're right..those things in themselves can become "a burden" and you wonder..because you have time to wonder..what else is there?

I'm sure many of us ..I know I'm one of them...are plunged into exactly what you have described.

We're all so different.

Perhaps Helen has summed it up for all of us...
You are 'living' your life as best as you can under the circumstances and that is a real blessing. Hard times may yet come and each day of your life is precious. You are living your life whilst the window of opportunity presents itself

Love xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry Dhiren was frightened but glad you were with him. Sorry you're feeling down. Take care. xx

Attachments

• aspiring pink.jpg
    aspiring pink.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 398

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks again for so much support.
It looks like I am still suffering after effects of the virus I had weeks ago , which will explain my low feelings. I'm quite relieved to have an explanation.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Sylvia, hi
So sorry you have still got left over reaction that virus, do you think another visit to the GP or resting and taking good care of yourself, whichever I hope you can shake it off soon. Better weather would help us all I think.
Take good care of yourself, with kind regards from Jo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Jo.
I'm going to see Dhiren now and then have an early night.
Tomorrow I should be going to Southend on Sea to support Harry, our grandson , in a Performing Arts competition. It was wonderful last year and I would hate to miss it.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Sylvia, hi
I hope you have a good visit and get a long and peaceful night's sleep.
I remember how much you enjoy your trips to support your grandson and hope it is a happy day.
With kind regards from Jo

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hi Sylvia,
I hope today's visit went well. You will have to take things easy if you're still suffering the effects of the virus.
However, I'm sure that a visit to Southend will be just what the doctor ordered! Sometimes I think that doing things with and for our grandchildren is the best medicine :)
I hope you're feeling happier today,
Love and hugs,

Sue xxx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Even without a virus, sometimes it is hard to put one foot in front of the other - but we do, don't we Sylvia, we do!

I hope that you can come home and tell us some more of your Dhiran and his ways and little Dhiran touches which have made me smile so often.

He's like the little girl with the curl - when he's good, he's very, very good and when he's bad, he's horrid!

Give him a kiss from me next time you visit.

xxTina

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Sue

Thank you.

Once I realised feeling low was viral, I felt better about it.

I had a good visit although Dhiren was a bit quiet. He sounded a bit chesty but said he felt OK.
After a couple of hours, he needed the toilet.
Two younger female carers and one male carer took him. When they brought him back he was very confused and shouting my name.
"Sylvia is here," said the carer.
"Hello Dhiren, I'm here." I said.
"Go home," he said. "Go home."
The carers all looked embarrassed. "He is confused," one said. "He has forgotten you're here."
"It's all right," I said. "I'll go."
He let me kiss him and he let me go.

I was fine about it. It was best to do what he wanted than to make an issue of it.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Sylvia you are one wonderful lady, always there to support others, and we all love you for that, you must go to see Harry, you know how much you love to see him, and don't forget some pictures will you? Love and hugs Pauline xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMK