A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
the toaster to the highest setting, gets distracted, smoke alarm goes off, toast is stuck and burning, tries to get it out with a knife, whilst it is still switched on,

Hi Slyvia

I remember Mum doing this often and that was after she had been to my house for dinner!

It is soo dangerous. Mum was once blown across the room,landed on the floor, amongst the remains of a broken vase she had knocked over from the table and of course everything had fused, so all was in darkness. It also fused all our electricity also.

Both Mum and Dad were in quite a state by the time we got to them and they were only next door.

After that I hid the toaster, so that only family and carers knew where it was.

At least Dhiren is still wanting to help.

Love
Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Alfjess.

As soon as I hear Dhiren in the kitchen, I go in too, and whilst he`s eating his cereal I ask if he wants toast and if so, I make it.

My mother set her kitchen curtains on fire when she forgot the toast and it got stuck and burst into flames. There is so much danger.

How`s your mother today?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m learning....................slowly..........

Within the last hour.........

D `Do I get a pension?`
S `Yes.`
D `When does it come?`
S `Every four weeks.`
D `What date?`
S `It`s a different date every month, because it`s paid every four weeks, not every month.`
D `How do I know when I get it?`
S `Here`s last month`s bank statement. It shows you have received your pension.`
D taking the satement and looking excited, `Oh good. Can I keep this?`
S `Of course you can.`
D goes of into another room but returns after a few minutes, `You read it. I can`t understand it.`
S `It might be better if you put your glasses on. I`ll mark the entries that are yours.`
D `Is that all for me?`
S `Yes.`
D `It`s a lot of money.`
S `I know it is. I don`t know why you keep worrying about money.`
D `Because I`m mental. That`s why.`
S `No you are not.`
D `What happens if they don`t pay it?`
S `It gets paid automatically, into the account.`
D `How can you check it`s been paid?`
S `Because we get a statement every month.`
D `Oh!`

I`m ready to sing `There`s a hole in my bucket...............:rolleyes:

Then......
D `When I go home, they will have to pay me in Rupees.`
S `That`s all right. When you`re ready I`ll write to them and let them know.`
D `I`m not going yet, maybe next year or the year after. I`m not going while I`m getting all this money for nothing.`

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I`m not going yet

Deat Sylvia: I do not know whether to laugh or cry with you :confused::confused:

Today there are only two things on my husband's mind
1. How much money have we in the bank?
2. Can I do anything to help?

Both questions are driving ME mad - it must be the time of the year.

Take care - maybe you could have another giggly day tomorrow :D

Jan

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
No they have gone and I have finished the 'cleaning through' :mad:

Next jobs are the level access shower and some outside pointing cos we are getting damp in :eek:

On Monday I hope to be out in the am (playing golf if weather ok or coffee with friends). I desperately need a break.

The banking questions can wait until Monday afternoon! - but he sometimes rings them up - he does not get a reply cos he cannot remember the pin number or his date of birth, then has to wait for a new one in the post. (By the next time he has forgotten it again!!).

Take care Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Have a good Monday. I hope the weather`s good enough for golf. :)

Dhiren can`t use the phone now and wouldn`t know where to start to phone the bank.
Strange isn`t it, the `strengths and weaknesses`. :confused:

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Isn't strange how very differently our people behave to a common subject.

Although Dee was always happy to leave bank things to me she would take a keen interest in spending on large items and involve herself in a nice way which seemed to suit us both.

But now Dee has no interest at all in anything that is not in sight or being touched. I was concerned about her mum and dad's grave which still had the Christmas wreath on it and would be looking v untidy.

Total blank when mentioned. It's as though all life has been sucked out of her. But, thank God, she still responds to a cuddle and the goodnight kiss.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
. How much money have we in the bank?
2. Can I do anything to help?

So glad I'm not the only one!!!!!!:rolleyes:

The other one is.."How much tax do I pay"..guaranteed to get my blood pressure soaring....:eek:

And Cliff..Eric's first wife's grave is never visited by him now..sometimes I feel bad about that..but can't do it all..

Love Gigi xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
she still responds to a cuddle and the goodnight kiss

Cliff - we all know that is more important than the bank balances or helping in the house etc. You and Dee are something special.

Take care Jan

Last edited:

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Only wish that I felt like something special.

At the moment, Dee doesn't want to go to bed - all the lights are out and she has forgotten how to switch them on - so it's a battle of wills. I'm here on the PC and Dee is somewhere in the dark.

No, she is sitting on the stairlift waiting to go and wash and bed - better go - will be back.

Love to you all

PS - I love her really even though it's tested at times.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
D `I`m not going yet, maybe next year or the year after. I`m not going while I`m getting all this money for nothing.`

Hi Slyvia

Maybe this is the answer to the going home problem, could you fake a few more zeros on the end, to make it look like more money:D and then possibly he will not want to go home.

Thanks for asking about Mum. She is again not sleeping at night, so therefore, sleeping in the day and not eating, although she was awake at 5.00pm and ate her dinner and a pudding.

Love
Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This morning...........

D `Who got the sack?`
S `No-one.`
D `I thought you told me someone got the sack. I wish I could get the sack.`
S `Why?`
D `Then I could go somewhere else.`
S `You can go anywhere you want. You don`t work, you are retired.`
D `Do you work then?`
S `No. I`m retired too.`
D `What about all the others?`
S `What others? There are only the two of us here.`
D `I thought there were others.`
S `No. Just us.`
D `So who keeps us?`
S `Our pensions and savings keep us.`
D `So there`s nobody else here?`
S `No.`

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
sets the toaster to the highest setting, gets distracted, smoke alarm goes off, toast is stuck and burning, tries to get it out with a knife, whilst it is still switched on, tries to scrape it in the sink until I suggest he throws it away and gets fresh bread,

Reminds me of my 27 year old son , when I brought a brand new 4 bread toaster few years ago , he tell me he tried getting the bread out with a Knife while it was still plug in . all eclectics in flat switches of and my lovely toaster never work again :(:rolleyes::).

I am the One now that put toast on , get distracted and burns toast , because my daughters put it on a lower setting , I like it a bit higher siting , but never look what siting it is , the bread end up brunt, I only know this , because Smoke alarm go of :D Me thinking will Michael On TP said brunt toast is good for you :cool::)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I love nearly burnt toast. I can`t stand toast that`s still bendy. But I don`t like it burnt until it sets the smoke alarm off.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Oh dear all this talk about toast is making me hungry. I LOVE toast but only with butter and am not allowed butter on Rosemary Conley's orders. :(

On Tuesday, when my Dad was having 'a do' and refusing breakfast I called on the way to work. I eventually persuaded him that he needed something to eat before he took the dog for a walk as it was cold. I made him a piece of toast and then dashed off to work without washing my hands. I could smell toast on my hands all morning and by lunchtime was absolutely ravenous.

I have to say I sometimes but a knife in the toaster without switching it off. :eek:

Things slipped back a bit today. My mum had a lie in, mainly because she is shattered, and my Dad was cross with her. They have been to my sister's for a coffee and he seems to have calmed down.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
'I AM RETIRED TOO'
JOKE OF THE WEEK

That is about the funniest thing I have heard/seen today - its set me giggling, Sylvia!

And TOAST - David likes what we call warm bread and I like it nearly burnt (its the smell of it!).

Off to roast a chicken now and prepare trimmings. Just been to Goyt Valley - somehow I do not feel 'I am retired too'.

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
5am.

D `I`m very restless. I wish I was dead.`
S `Oh don`t say that.`
D `I mean it. There`s nowhere to go, I`ve nothing to do, I can`t get a job.`
S `You don`t need a job, you`re retired.`
D `I`ve no pension.`
S `Yes you have.`
D `Have I? How much?`
S `£xxx`
D `That much? I didn`t know.`
and he got up to go to the toilet..........he came back to the bedroom............
D `I`m going nutty. I won`t live long.`
S `You are still strong, you have a lot of living left.`
D `Are you sure?........ I don`t want to die, I want to see Paul`s grandchildren.`
and he got up again and returned to the bedroom and put his wallet under the pillow........
D `What is this place called again?......`

Status
Not open for further replies.