A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
What a lovely moment Sylvia. These moments I had with Mum,and, even now, two years after her death, I find I still take these special memories out and rerun them in my head. It helps me find peace.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Sylvia,
Another lovely visit with Dhiren on form. How lovely.

The fantastic greeting was a special bonus, hopefully that will keep you going for a couple of days.

We went to a "Remember when" show with Neil Sands yesterday, and as always it was brilliant. My husband absolutely loves it, but gets very emotional. He kept telling me and the carers later, that "we laughed". We did and all, because Neil came on stage to the song "Viva espania" dressed in Union Jack shorts and straw hat, with a bright orange t. shirt, socks with holes and sandals.
He looked hilarious. The two girls were beautifully dressed in flamingo dresses. The whole audience roared and my husband thought that was very funny. We also clapped, sang and waved arms. All together a lovely afternoon for us both. A day to truly remember.

Hope you have many more loving greetings from your darling man.

Love x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren was sitting alone when I arrived today. The other residents were resting in their rooms.

I received another loving greeting followed by ,
`I`m so glad you came. I`m so lonely.`
Thank goodness I`m now tuned in to the `here and now` and know Dhiren was only lonely for that `now` time when he was by himself.

I was told he refused his dinner today saying he wasn`t hungry but had accepted a banana. I asked him why he hadn`t eaten and he repeated he wasn`t hungry.
Even so, he enjoyed the chocolate I`d taken and had another banana so I wasn`t too concerned.

He asked the same questions which are becoming almost a ritual.
`When do you have to go?`
`What days do you come?`
`How long can you stay?`
`What time do you start work?`
And then `I`m so glad you came.`

I told him I wouldn`t be coming next week as I`m going away with a few TP friends.
He said `I`ll come with you.`

By the time I left he had forgotten.

On the way home I met the `darling` carer who was coming on duty. I told her I`d be away for a week as I`d told the others. She said they prompt Dhiren when they know either Paul or I are due to visit and it pleases him.
But when they know we`re not visiting, they don`t mention us and he forgets.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
glad visit went well the staff there seem brilliant i think you have struck gold with the home love larivy

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
But when they know we`re not visiting, they don`t mention us and he forgets.

Sylvia

I don't if this statement is very sad or very good for you..

But Tom has forgotten every thing we have done this week, so I'm seeing a sharp decline, just hope it stops.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sylvia
I don't if this statement is very sad or very good for you..

It`s good for both of us Helen. The last thing in the world I want is for Dhiren to pine for me and Paul.
Sorry to hear of Tom`s decline but we`ve all been here together for quite a while, so if it`s happening to one of us, it`s going to happen to all of us.

Love xx

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
sylvia glad your visits are going well and you are getting out you must have been very proud of your grandson in billie elloit one of my favorite films watched it many times milly

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Today`s visit

I hadn`t seen Dhiren for 10 days.

When I entered the sitting room he looked at me, appeared ready to burst into tears , then said, `Did you find my mother?`
I told him I hadn`t but would keep looking.

He was unaware I hadn`t visited for so long. I told him I`d been away and showed him two photos I`d printed on A4 paper.

One was a line up of all of us. I asked if he knew anyone on the photo.
He said `They look like six Pakistanis` and burst into laughter. It was a deliberate joke, perhaps to cover the fact he didn`t know anyone on the photo, not even me.

The other was of the Great Oak in Sherwood Forest.
He was dismissive. `I`ve seen it before,` he said.

While I had been away, one of the carers took him out in his wheelchair. She took him to the local Tesco and bought him some onion bargees and samosas.

He enjoyed the chocolate I`d taken and asked for more.

He also asked for cigarettes. I have ordered dummy ones but am having to chase the order up.

He then asked where I went. I told him I`d been to Yorkshire and Nottingham. He said he`d come with me next year.

97 year old M entered the room. She patted Dhiren`s bald head, looked at me and said with pity in her voice, `It`s such a shame.`
Dhiren responded by calling her a fat cow. Thank goodness she is deaf and didn`t hear.

He didn`t like me chatting to other residents and staff. He tells me I talk too much.
I wonder if he thinks I`m invading his territory.

When it was time to go, I told him I had some shopping to do. He asked what I was going to buy. I told him, Fish.
`Get plenty,` he said.
He always liked to have a full cupboard.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
That is a lovely account of your visit Sylvia and I feel like I was there too:) I must admit that I had to laugh at Dhiren - he was on top form today:D

Love

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
What a lovely visit Sylvia.

I also noticed with David that when I returned from holiday he didn't seem to have noticed I hadn't visited. I suppose I would rather that than have him pining for me!

Love

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Sylvia i have laughed at Dhirens remarks how nice of the staff to take him out and to Tescos:eek::eek: have they got room for one more on their next trip:D love larivy

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Sylvia,
So glad to see that Dhiren had not missed your regular visits.
Brian too regularly asks after his mother.
Has Dhiren's eyesight worsened with his dementia? I think Brian's has, although he had new glasses only about six months ago. But on the other hand, he too has a job at times recognising the family in photographs around the lounge.
I was intrigued by your "invading his territory" remark. It can only mean that he is feeling settled and a full member of the community he is now a part of, can't it, which although is good for HIM is a little sad, perhaps, for you. But rather that, as you have said before, than that he should pine for you.
I was delighted to read of his trip to Tesco's and his purchases there. What a thoughtful Manager the Care Home has.
Hope you thoroughly enjoyed - well, I am sure you did - your trip away to Yorkshire and Nottingham.
Love, Nan XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good morning Nan

Has Dhiren's eyesight worsened with his dementia? I think Brian's has, although he had new glasses only about six months ago. But on the other hand, he too has a job at times recognising the family in photographs around the lounge.
I`m not sure.
Dhiren has cataracts in both eyes but still recognizes familiar faces when they enter the room, even if he is not quite sure who they are. When I had a cataract, I found it impossible to recognize faces and needed the voice as well before I was sure. I still have problems with faces.
Dhiren also seems to see the television, mind you it`s a massive screen and he thinks the people are in the room with him.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Cataracts

I'm so sorry - I had not realised about the cataracts - is there any thought of dealing with these under light sedation?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Sue.
Don`t worry. Dhiren is fine. If I thought he was suffering in any way I`d get help for him. But when he was at home, only 3 months ago, he was able to read by electric light, during the evening, which is more than I can do.
Love xx

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Sylvia,
I read about your visit with mixed feelings, but I know you will be pleased Dhiren has not pined for you and that he is so settled. I wish I had your strength when I leave my husband with sitters, I worry most of the time.

You have definitely found a fantastic CH though, so thoughtful and friendly it is just wonderful for you both.

Hope the cigarettes arrive shortly, it will be interesting to see what Dhiren thinks about them.

Take care

love x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023