A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Sylvia
I am pleased you had a good visit today.

I was just thinking about you today. I am reading "the mystery of Alzheimer" and think it is extremely interesting and makes facinating reading, I cannot put it down. How you come across that one?

It is a good size print and easy to read.

Hope you are having a pleasant evening.

Love x

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Smoking

Hi Sylvia

Isn't it funny how the memory works? Philip smoked for about 60 years. 2 years ago, when he had his bowel cancer operation and was in hospital for 5 days, he completely forgot about smoking. He hasn't had a cigarette since, even though I keep puffing away in his presence :eek:.

I wonder if, one day when he's in a care home, he'll have a similar experience to Dhiren's and will suddenly remember the addiction. 25 years is a long time to have been off it.

I'm glad you had a good visit and a laugh.

Big hug

Kathy

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
so pleased you had a good visit Dhiren is so funny i think him and my mum would make a great comedy act:D:D love larivy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
"the mystery of Alzheimer"

I haven`t heard of it Winnie. At the moment I`m reading Mutant Message Down Under which Helen recommended and it`s an experience in itself.

Thanks Lyn Kathy and larivy.
Yes larivy. I can also imagine Dhiren and your mother would get on and give anyone a run for their money. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had such a lovely visit today.

Dhiren beamed when I arrived. He asked where I`d been and I told him I`d been on a computer course.

I sat with him and gave him some chocolates. Fererro Rocher. There were four in the pack and he enjoyed every one.
There was a good atmosphere in the sitting room. Other residents were asking where their chocolates were, amid lots of laughter.
I told them when it is Dhiren`s birthday I`ll take a great big box in and share them.
Greedy Dhiren said `Don`t be daft. Let them buy their own.`

And then he said;
`When I saw you come in, my face lit up`. He repeated it several times during the visit.

`A` wanted a cigarette and was shouting for staff to bring her one.
Dhiren asked me for a cigarette. I said I`d ordered some for him. I told him they are not real cigarettes, just pretend ones and won`t be bad for his health. He said, `Good`. I wonder if he`ll still feel the same when I take them.

After a while he settled, and we sat peacefully side by side. When I felt the time was right, I told him I`d be leaving as I had to go on my computer course.
`M`, who has a loud and carrying voice said, `Again! You went on your computer course before you came here.`

But Dhiren accepted my excuse and I left with peace in my heart.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
You are such a marvellous story teller Sylvia. I'm glad your visit went well and I also appreciate your tone/way of being with Dhiren - that I can learn so much from. Respectful, kind, meeting him where he is. I wish I could take a course under your tuition....well I suppose I am (after 15/12 here with you) but I seem to be a slow learner :p

PS - I love the part about peace in your heart, xoxo

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Your post is such a pleasure to ready. Dhiren seems so content, no wonder you can leave with 'peace in your heart'.

I hope the computer course is going well (from what M says you keep going back for more :D:D)

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
You are such a marvellous story teller Sylvia.
That says it all:) It really is wonderful how you are able to share with us your experiences and I very much appreciate it too Sylvia:)

Love

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Good morning Sylvia,
Me too, you ARE just how I would love to be all the time.

So pleased you had a good visit and could leave with peace in your heart. So important for both of you.

Lovely that Dhiren is so settled and that atmosphere in the home is a happy one.
You really have struck lucky there, but I do think you are so much part of that making.

Love x

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Re. Dhiren's weight ...

I asked about Dhiren`s weight. It is being monitored and recorded that he has lost weight.
I asked if he eats better for them than he does for me. They both said he does.

Sylvia, if you don't consider it an intrusive query, could you tell us what Dhiren weighs now (relative to ?height etc.), and perhaps what he weighed say 2 years ago, when he was still fairly robust? My impression from the various photographs you have posted is that Dhiren is of 'average' body type, neither fat nor thin, and wonder how much weight he has lost in the last year or 6 months. (I think you have probably monitored & recorded these things relative to his diabetes).

The owner feeds him regularly, talks to him about India, they like each other and Dhiren eats his food.
This is so good to hear; he is getting excellent care, isn't he. :)

Love

Attachments

• pansies.gif
    pansies.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 343

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Lynne

While he was at home, during the last year, he went from over 11st to 9st 7lbs. I haven`t asked what he weighs now but I will at the Best Interests` Meeting when a date is arranged.
He is not yet skeletal, just seeming to be shrinking and his legs are very thin.
It will be his birthday next month and I will take a photo of him then.
Thanks Lynne. :)

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Sylvia

I love reading your thread to as you are such a good story teller,so pleased you had a lovely visit to see Dhiren,hope you have many more lovely visits.I hope that you get Dhiren,s weight sorted out soon.Take care Marian xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren was as pleased as ever to see me today and ate his chocolate with joy, only complaining it wasn`t enough.

The manager came to see me. She had been on night duty on Sunday. Dhiren slept well and actually stood up for her the next morning. Who would have believed it.

He was quiet today so we sat together and watched the news about the new Government.

I didn`t know it was exercise day. The lady who conducts chair exercises breezed in and one of the carers rounded up the participants.

There was Dhiren, Big M, Little M, A, B and me. I was glad to join in just to see how Dhiren responded.

Big M is a sad lady with a big voice. Whenever she is asked how she is she says `Terrible.`

Little M is a very sprightly, very deaf, tiny, smiley 97 year old.

A is wheelchair bound and very arthritic.

B is a little round lady who seems quite anxious most of the time.

Dhiren is Dhiren.

We began the exercises to Perry Como singing Magic Moments.

Wrist flexes.
Ankle flexes.
Knee flexes.
Hip flexes.
Elbow flexes.
Shoulder flexes.

Alternate hands to shoulders.
Hands `playing the piano`.
Arm stretches.
Leg stretches.

A got tired very quickly.
Big M talked most of the way through to avoid the exercises.
B was hesitant to begin with but soon got into the swing and was keeping up really well.
Dhiren was following with his eyes but struggled with the rhythm and the sequence. He attempted all the movements and retained his interest.
Little M aged 97 was amazing. She kept to the rhythm, she stayed with the sequences, she followed the teacher and completed the full 45 minute session.
I had fun.

Dhiren must have tried really hard because he grew warm and wanted to undo his shirt buttons. I felt his face. He was sweating. So somewhere along the line he had exrecised enough to grow warm.
The teacher gave him a drink of juice.

It was time for me to leave. I said I would have to go. Dhiren said he would come with me.
Big M said [very loudly] `We`ll have trouble tonight. He`ll be shouting for Sylvia.`
I stayed a while longer.
Dhiren asked for a cigarette. I said I`d go for some. He said `Go now.`
So I did.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That sounds like an excellent afternoon, Sylvia.

It's great that Dhiren is able and willing to join in, as far as he can.

Was it as good as yoga?:)

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
That all sounds tremendously positive, Sylvia. So glad that Dhiren joined in and worked up a 'sweat'. That's proper exercise. Three cheers for little M, and four cheers for you. Glad you had fun. x:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leland