A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I wish I could suggest something to help but it beats me altogether what could be done to ease the situation. He seems so restless during the night time.

Have you asked about any medication?

Ken has a pressure mat at the side of his bed but by the time a pressure mat went off for Dhiran he would already be prone on the floor. Could you push the bed up against a wall and lay him on the wall side and you next to the open side of the bed? It wouldn't be good for you as he would waken you by trying to climb over you but it might help with the falling onto the floor.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Have you asked about any medication?

I`ve given him some hot chocolate Tina, but he left half.

The falling is a problem but the restlessness at night is as big a problem. It`s a vicious circle Tina as he has slept most of the day and is asleep now.

I think the consultant will not be happy giving him something to help him sleep as it will increase the likelihood of falling. He is still being weaned off his antipsychotic and has stopped taking the sedating antidepressant so this may be the cause of his wakefullness in the night.

Eureka! I`ve only just realized this.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Well done Sylvia - lets hope you have some relief if this is what is causing the restlessness. You may be at a point where some carefully monitored medication is a necessity. If it keeps you both together for longer, then personally I think it well worth it. Good luck tonight my love.

xxTinaT

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
has stopped taking the sedating antidepressant so this may be the cause of his wakefullness in the night.

Was Dhiren wakeful in the night before he went into respite, Sylvia? I can't remember...:eek:

It could be the withdrawal of the antidepressant. Or another phase which could pass.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren slept well until November when he woke to bring up sputum. He started to fall again in November and that`s why the antipsychotic was reduced.
The anti psychotic was reduced in January and the anti depressant was stopped in January and since then, apart from his time in respite, his sleeping pattern has been erratic.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Sylvia, I may have asked you this before, but did you get that memory foam topper? I do think this caused problems for my mother.

Also, have you tried the pillow under the mattress trick again?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I did get the memory foam topper but it has helped us both as neither of us wakes with back pain.
I have rolled towels under the bottom corner of the mattress, nothing under the pillows, but Dhiren sleeps on an inverted V shaped pillow which raises him.
I really think the sleepless nights are due to withdrawal of Mirtazapine which was sedating.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sylvia

I have seen pillows? that imitate the top of a chair, back and two arms.
Do you think if he was more supported he would feel safer.

Or how long is a piece of string:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
From 10.15pm last night, Dhiren slept till 5am which is an improvement. Now I have a possible cause I can envisage this as a phase so feel much happier about it.
But I still cannot unsderstand why he slept so well in Respite care.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
But I still cannot unsderstand why he slept so well in Respite care.

Morning Sylvia

Glad to read to you and Dhiren had a more settled night.

With regard to sleeping better in Respite.....Do you think that with all the comings and goings in the home that Dhiren was mentally more tired and that helped him sleep better. Just a thought

Love to you both

Carina x x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s possible Carina beause he`s naturally very nosy and if anything`s going on, he wants to know.
And there`s so little happening at home, unless I`m actually doing something with him, he sleeps during the day.
But there again, he`s so less aware these days he`s less likely to notice happenings at home or anywhere else.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Sylvia,

Do you think there would be any benefit in trying a day centre at this point? It might provide some day time stimulation, give you a bit of a break and make it easier for Dhiren to sleep at night.

Just grasping at straws as normal ...:eek:

Take care,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There might be Sandy , there`s no harm in trying. I might ask Terry and my Care Manager when they come to visit.
Thank you.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think you're right, Sylvia, it's the change in meds that's causing the wakefulness. I do think that as his body adjusts he will sleep better.

I also agree with Carina about his sleeping being better in respite. There was a lot more going on there and it mentally tired him out. Day care sounds likes a good idea. I hope something comes through for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You haven't posted for a long time.
No. Not since 12 noon yesterday. :D

Now I feel the sleeplessness might be due to drug withdrawal I feel happier about it.
But after the cough and cold has come the sticky sputum which Dhiren has extreme difficulty clearing from his throat.
So we were up from 3-5am, back to bed for an hour and up again at 6am.
He is very uncomfortable. I will as at the Pharmacy today for something to loosen it.

What I`m finding really difficult to deal with is his total disregard for hygeine. I won`t go into detail here but any infection he has will never be contained while he fails to understand the need for care. And again, it is not his fault but I find myself racing towards him with tissues, kitchen roll, wet wipes and papaer cups whenever I hear him cough or try to clear his throat.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I won`t go into detail here but any infection he has will never be contained while he fails to understand the need for care. And again, it is not his fault but I find myself racing towards him with tissues, kitchen roll, wet wipes and paper cups whenever I hear him cough or try to clear his throat.

I'm sorry to hear that, Sylvia. You have a job and a half on your hands. I hope this phase passes quickly.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Sylvia, Does not sound nice. That mucose is awful and it hangs around for so long. I started my cold late december and cannot get rid of the cough and mucose. I have been on antibiotics twice and each time it helps whilst I am on them only to come straight back afterwards. I am meticulous about hygiene, so obviously it is unpleasant for you to watch if Dhiren is not, but I now think it somehow just needs to take its natural course in the end.
I do hope Dhiren manages to shift his so you both get a better time, particularly at night. Take care

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There`s little I can do Winnie except be on high alert at all times. And this means never leaving him unattended which is virtually impossible 24/7.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Another slide out of bed

The paramedic has just left.

From going to bed at 9.45pm Dhiren catnapped and each time he woke, almost with a reflex action, pulled himself up and sat on the edge of the bed, attempting to stand up. I was able to intercept and prevent falls until 11.30pm when he slid down to the floor.

So once again it was a 999 call.

While we were waiting [15 minutes] he kept pleading with me to help him up. `Give me a hand` he asked, as if a hand was all that was needed. I refused and he thought I was refusing to help him.
He tried to help himself.
He managed to shuffle on his bottom, down the side of the bed and across the bottom of the bed towards the chair where he tried to pull himself up.
He gave up in the end it was impossible.

So the paramedic came, got Dhiren to his feet, exclaimed at all the paperwork of previous falls, commiserated with me for having so many disturbed nights, checked BP and temperature, completed her own paperwork, helped me get Dhiren back into bed and left.

And when she`d gone he decided he wanted the toilet so I got him up again to use the bottle, put him back to bed and went to empty, wash and sterilize the bottle.

When I returned to the bedroom he was standing by the side of the bed holding one of the grab rails. I ignored him while I wrote my post. I have just asked him what he wanted to do and he didn`t know. So he is back in bed again, but how long he will stay there is anyone`s guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.