A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
hello sylvia , glad youve got your respite sorted now , and i had a chuckle at dhiran saying hes surviving, just shows how he is still thinking clearly at times. would dhiran be able to have nytol it might just do the trick and relax him enough for him to sleep longer i just dont no how you survive on so little sleep, but then i do remember how all my children never slept and i was up and down all night the youngest slep with me till she was 11 :eek: i suppose your body adjusts and i was alot younger in those days . :rolleyes: dave sleeps like a baby but jerks all night and sometimes its that bad it wakes him up and frightens the life out of me . xxxxxx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I wonder if it is best not to even mention the respite until very, very near to the date?

I wasn't sure about the best way to do this either. In fact I have been talking to David now about the little holiday he will be going on soon - I just felt it best not to spring it on him one morning.....Having said that every time I drop him at the Day Centre now he asks me when I am coming back for him - so I'm not sure whether I have done the right thing or not.

I am also not sure about the visiting thing either. When I suggested to the home that I wouldn't visit for a while they were horrified.....all I know was that when David was in hospital he kept trying to come home with me, so I think I will let him settle in for a few days first.

Well done Sylvia - the home has to have a welcoming feel to it.

Love

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
I am so pleased that you have at last got some respite booked, Sylvia.
On the days when I have rung in to see how Brian is, I am asked if I would like to speak to him. Perhaps if Dhiren seems to have settled in well when you enquire, a few words with him would make you both feel better. And if he thinks you are away on a course, perhaps at some distance, he will not expect you to visit him as soon as he hears your voice. I think "the course" idea is brilliant.
Love, Nan XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren has eaten very little for two days.
Today he ate one spoonful of cereal and spat it out. A quarter of a round of toast and spat it out. A slice of banana and spat it out and tonight, managed to eat a very small portion of hot pot.

This evening he began moving furniture and the hearth rug into the hall. He was moving it out in case someone `nicked it` . So with his frailty and poor mobility, he bent to lift the rug and then dragged the fireside chair across the room.
I had to stop him, using a firm command.
He was verbally abusive and I took exception.
So now he is cross with me and sulking .

And he saw a chicken on the hearth.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Regarding the chicken episode - is this the first time he has hallucinated Sylvia? So much of what you are writing this last few weeks rings bells with me. I hope to goodness that he has calmed down now and is tucked up in bed so that you can have a bit of peace, if only for a little while.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s the first time he has seen a chicken Tina it is usually a man or woman.

I heard a thud from the living room and thought he`d fallen. He was OK , he`d kicked his slippers off. So I`ve brought him to bed. I`m too tired to play games.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
sorry to hear Dhirens playing up hope you get some sleep
mum just wont accept this is our house it used to be mainly at night but now its durring the day as well she gets verbally abusive and like you i find it hard to take love larivy

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
So sorry for your troubles Sylvia - I hope it may help a tiny amount that I'm thinking of you & willing for this to settle tonight, so that you can have a little rest, Sue xoxo

P.S. we are just co-existing in silence - I thought this was bad until I consider your situation which is so much worse......

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
You must be tired to the bone by it all. One minute he doesn't know you and you are an interferring stranger who irritates him and the next minute he shows some appreciation of all that you are doing for him. The worrying and watching you do over him, the worrying that he isn't eating when he has diabetes, the worrying that he might fall whilst he is 'off on one' or if you take your eyes off him for a minute, worrying about him all the time when you need a bit of worrying done about you!

Well we all here on TP love you dearly for the kind person you are and wish we could take some of the burden away. Life can be very cruel to those who do the caring. Not long now for your respite Sylvia. Hold on to that thought my love.

xxTinaT

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
mum just wont accept this is our house it used to be mainly at night but now its durring the day as well she gets verbally abusive and like you i find it hard to take love larivy

This is exactly like my mum. Just over a week ago she was put on a low doese of Risperidone. I was concerned after reading some of the posts about it but she has really calmed down. We have had 2 days now with hardly any of these coments or worries about home. Don't knowif that is coincidence or if it will last. I hope you get some peace tonight. Izzy x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you have had a peaceful night and some decent sleep.

WE had a peaceful night till 3am then he was up and so I was up with him.

First he agreed to sit on the bedroom chair. After settling him there , I went back to bed and he was surprised.
`Are you going to bed?`
It lasted 45 minutes then he was up again. Frightened he`d trip over the blanket I got up and took him to the living room, put the heating on, put the fire on, left him in the chair and back to bed again.

After a while I heard footsteps in the hall. He wanted to come to bed. I got up to help him into bed and we had another hour`s sleep before the restlessness started again and I could feel the legs moving.

So we both got up. He had big problems crossing the thresholds although he`d managed earlier, alone, and then kept getting up from the chair as soon as he sat down, wanting to follow me into the kitchen while I made a drink.

Now I have a drink and am on the computer, it`s as if he know I`ll be staying, so he`s asleep in the chair.

While all the movement was going on I asked him where he wanted to go.
He replied, `I don`t know where I want to go. Wherever you will take me.`

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
You must be exhausted. But his responses are so sad and pitiful, it must be so difficult for you while being so frustrating.

You will have respite soon enough. With any luck, you'll catch up on your sleep then.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am exhausted Joanne but his responses make me cry with pity. The thought of anyone in such a vulnerable state is too upsetting for words. It`s like watching someone being tortured.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Bless you Sylvia, I feel your sadness when you see Dhiren and hear his sad replies, your respite can't come soon enough, so sorry about the restless night, love and hugs Pauline xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJ46