A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Oh dear Sylvia

As if it's not bad enough having emotional 'ups & downs', now you are picking Dhiren up literally out of the flower borders too!:eek:

Glad he's unhurt (physically), hope he doesn't hold onto the embarrassment & brood on it, and hope YOU survived the adventure unscathed.

Love
XXXX

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello all:

Sylvia - I do hope Dhiren is non the worse for his fall (nor you either!).

As you know D goes into respite on Monday.
I am trying to tell him gently. Explained just now and said it was to give me a break. Also his friend (the male half of a couple we met at the beginning of all this) is in the same centre. I told him that L. was in and David said 'why is E... pregnant? :rolleyes: Well L. is around 85 and his wife E.. is around 75!!!
I feel I am living in cloud cuckoo land :rolleyes:

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

Your CPN sounds dedicated and I imagine that must make you feel supported. I think I would have mixed feelings about my CPN viewing TP because I wouldn't want to have to be selective about what I aired!

My CPN has told me not to hold back from posting a criticism.

If he read anything negative he would try to find a way round it.

I`ve always believed those with confidence in their integrity can take justified criticism.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you

Dhiren has been OK since his fall. He was shocked for a while but all right afterwards.

We went to Paul`s for a barbecue. He offered to pick us up and bring us home but as it was such a lovely day and only a five minute walk each way, I said we`d walk.

On the way home Dhiren said he would have to buy a car.

It shows how weak he feels when walking now. Pre AD he walked briskly for two hours every day.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

My CPN has told me not to hold back from posting a criticism.

If he read anything negative he would try to find a way round it.

I`ve always believed those with confidence in their integrity can take justified criticism.

This is invaluable support Sylvia and I am really glad for you. How about cloning him and sharing him around:D

Love

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Somehow I managed to miss Dhiren's fall and all the other action you've been having lately. I'm glad to hear he was only shaken up a bit & no real damage done. But you had better be careful with your back, I can't have you putting your back out now, can I?

When I arrived home he was up, arms outstretched, for the tightest hug possible.

He thought I had left him.

That is so sweet and so sad.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Changes

The changes are happening very slowly, drip, drip, drip.

Stamina is very low, a short walk is exhausting. Even a walk to the bus stop is tiring and, bearing in mind we have to pass only 14 houses to the top of our avenue, then we cross a road and the bus stop is there. It is a very short walk.

Dhiren rarely sleeps during the daytime, so needs quite a lot of attention, unless he is reading the papers. That`s all that seems to interest him. He now goes to bed between 9pm and 10pm and sleeps the clock round. He occasionally wakes during the night and passes a comment. Last night he could see a spider on the ceiling. There was no light for him to see the spider.
He is always tired when he wakes in the morning.

He gets very upset about some items of news . This morning he was upset about the millionaire who shot himself his wife and his daughter, and set fire to the house. He was then concerned about our neighbours and whether or not this could have happened to us. He worried that if we had lived next door to the millionaire we could have been caught up in the shooting or the fire.
The anxiety stayed with him all morning and he looked in a state of shock. He was upset and subdued.

He rarely misses a period of sundowning and I am finding it so hard to go with the flow. It really gets me down.
This afternoon/evening was no exception. More of the same, worrying he had no money, resentful I managed his pension, wanting to see bank statements, cross his name wasn`t on the statement, needing to go home, having no family here, wanting lengthy discussions about money but unable to understand the content of any discussion, head in hands, tortured expression, unhappy, mixed up very confused.

And afterwards so apologetic, so sorry for causing upset, asking to see the doctors, asking to see a herbalist, asking how he can get help. And I told him the people who visit are trying to help him. If he attended the day centre with them it could help him. It would stimulate him, give him a change of scene, a change of company, do him good.

But he didn`t want to know. He said the day centre can`t help him, no-one can help him, it is up to him. He will take himself in hand, try to control his behaviour. I told him I didn`t blame him. I knew he couldn`t control himself. It was not his fault. However upset I got, I never blamed him as I knew it was sundowning and he couldn`t help himself. So he asked for more medication to `calm him down`. He said he will happily take more medication to calm him down.

And he said `Alzheimers is the worst thing that can happen to anyone.`

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
How right he is Sylvia......how right he is about this disease. When Ken comes round from his sundowning and obsessions, just like Dhiran, he is very ashamed and takes all the blame on himself, promising to keep control next time. This is when I feel at my most sad because I have to explain that it is not his fault, it is caused by his disease.

Ken's obsessions are similar to Dhirans and just can't be controlled. Medication dampens them down, but slow him down physically and he is unable to concentrate on anything or respond to anything. He becomes dizzy and loses all spatial awareness. I feel in a 'no win' situation in that I want the medication as it will calm him down but I don't want the side effects.

I never have a day which doesn't have deep sadness intertwined throughout it because of the results of this disease on the man I love.

xxTinat

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
And he said `Alzheimers is the worst thing that can happen to anyone.`

That is so sad, Sylvia.

Dhiren knows he is ill, knows he behaves badly at times, can't control himself, but feels remorse afterwards. Heartbreaking!

And an emotional rollercoaster for you, impatient, even angry at times, but understanding why he is like that. And then coping with his deprssion afterwards.

I honestly don't know how you cope, but you have my utmost respect.

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Sylvia..

The "drip, drip, drip" is bound to take its toll on you.

I'm not surprised it gets you down...I don't know how you've come this far without regular help and support.

That was such a sad post...Dhiren is such a lovely man and his torture must be so hard for you to live with.

Am hoping that something will be worked out for you soon....

My love to you both...gigi xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sylvia reading your post made me so sad.

I could have written your post myself only three years ago.
Like many, many others Dhiren and Lionel have trodden the same path, although in our case the duration of each stage was much shorter.

He rarely misses a period of sundowning and I am finding it so hard to go with the flow. It really gets me down.

At least you admit to finding it a struggle. Does no good to gloss over how hard it is. My sympathies go out to you both, along with admiration and love. Try to stay strong.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And when he`s OK

This morning, still having no hot water, I went to the hairdresser`s. Dhiren didn`t want to come.

While I was out, we had a short but very heavy downpour.

When I arrived home, I found he`d taken all the washing in and, as the sun was out again, was in the middle of hanging it back out.

He was so pleased with my gratitude and so pleased with himself.

Thank you for understanding. You know so well about the ups and downs, how awful the downs are and how good the ups.

Love xx

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Sylvia
I know what you mean about the sundowning.
My Husband can go most of the day with things not to bad but at about five o`clock it is as if someone has clicked a switch and he starts.
The same questions every night how scared he is, where does he sleep, do I sleep with him, which side of the bed does he sleep in, will I be there when he gets up and so on and it does not stop until he is in bed.
He is going into respite (fingers crossed) the week after next and I cannot wait.
I never thought I would hear myself say that but I think you know what I mean.

Much love to you
Roseann

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He is going into respite (fingers crossed) the week after next and I cannot wait.
I never thought I would hear myself say that but I think you know what I mean.

I certainly do Roseann.

We`ve had a good day. Following the positive of the washing, we went out for lunch, in spite of the weather. While we were eating Dhiren asked if we were still in Broadstairs. He was surprised, saying it was a big place. We chatted over lunch about his memory, about him, about the houses we had lived in.

We arrived home with everything hunky dory but now I can `feel` the restlessness coming on. He has been up and down like a yoyo. He says he is all right, but I know he isn`t.

So yes Rose, I do know what you mean.

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia...

You are going through peaks and troughs...and it's good to hear that you've had a good day....:D

Isn't it strange?

We don't really have peaks and troughs...just the same old same old..almost "groundhog day"....with an occasional variation.

Eric is slowly sliding ...mobility and spacial awareness are poor..the GP thisafternoon agreed to complete the "Blue Badge" form for us...

Which I'm grateful for..it should make life easier for us.

I really hope that something will turn up for you and Dhiren to make life easier for you....:)

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Gigi

I allowed myself some hope today. I found out a local church has lots of activities laid on for people of all ages.

It was a choice between `Break Dancing` or `Sit and be Fit`. ;)

Dhiren was very positive when I mentioned it. [Sit and be Fit] ;) `It sounds good. It will get us out of the house. Something to do. Good to get fit.`

Now he says I can go by myself. :(

But I got off lightly with the sundowning tonight. [phew smiley]

Love xx

Status
Not open for further replies.