A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you

I`m not counting chickens, just grateful for some respite.

Since Dhiren was in hospital, so many positives appear to have helped him;

• feeling more `at home`
    excellent consultants
    a better antidepressant
    a MHT who have pulled out all the stops
    one to one support from the MHT
    a decent CPN
    specialized dementia day care
    and `the book` :)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

I think it's marvellous and just know you will make the most of 'the now'.

Wouldn't it be nice if Dhiren could put this experience into words (maybe he does).

Love and best wishes

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sylvia,
I'm such a silly girl - on my big desk calendar at work (one of those 18" x 22" month desk pads) I have carefully written in "Sylvia & Dhiren to Midlands". My sister leaves for Calgary that day & I am spending the day on a golf course in the Niagara Peninsula. Obviously a good travelling day!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen.

Dhiren doesn`t actually put this experience into words butsome of the things he says let me know how much better he`s feeling and I just grab any shred of comfort I can.

Yesterday he actually said `I`m so glad I met you.`

Today he said `I don`t want to move from here. This is our home.`

When the CPN came this morning he stood up and held out his hand for a handshake, saying `It`s good to see you again.`
And joined in our conversation for a full hour.

And this afternoon with C from the MHT he was friendly and animated and chatty.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Sylvia

It sounds to me as if Dhiren is regaining his self-confidence. :) It's not only carers who become isolated by their situation is it.
Dhiren has been meeting new people again recently (as I'm sure he was accustomed to doing all the time when he was in business)
and is once more feeling comfortable interacting with them. It must seem 'quite like old times' for you both! :p

I hope you have a lovely visit with your friends; take it easy so that you don't overtire yourselves - it's supposed to be a holiday, remember?

Love XxXxX

(& tickled pink that things are going well for you both at the mo. - dont worry, touching wood!!)

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Yesterday he actually said `I`m so glad I met you.`

Today he said `I don`t want to move from here. This is our home.`

When the CPN came this morning he stood up and held out his hand for a handshake, saying `It`s good to see you again.`
And joined in our conversation for a full hour.

Sylvia, that sounds so positive. I bet you've got your smile back now, and even your Buddha is smiling. As for your duck, he's paddling along in sheer delight!

Really great news.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Lynne and Hazel

What is so important is these new people know how to interact with Dhiren. They are not at all patronizing, just interested in what he has to say.
And even if he goes on a bit, they show no sign of impatience or boredom, they are just so genuinely pleased to see how much better he is.
These people know their stuff. :)
Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

What a great time to go away together. I really hope you both have a wonderful time and look forward to hearing all about it. Midlands - eh. If I'd have known you could have come for lunch or something:)

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Why don`t I learn?

Sundowning has not gone, it is just on hold. :rolleyes:

It began at 11.45pm last night and lasted until we both slept.

It trod familiar ground, but because I`d been spared for a week it seemed more intense.

Late afternoon, early evening was bad enough, but I don`t have the patience at bedtime. :(

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sylvia:

Sorry to hear about the sundowning - to have this at bedtime is hard. I hope it is just a blip for the time being.

Its a lovely day here - are you going off for a walk with Dhiren? - he seems to enjoy those times when he is on form.

David has started out well this morning - a good carer came in at 7.00 am and he's raring to go now. But he admits he cannot do much in the garden but would like to go to Lyme Park or Goyt Valley. He loves me and is sorry that our life is boring!!

Hope you have a good day.

Love Jan

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
. He loves me and is sorry that our life is boring!!

Oh Jan, you could break your heart.

It`s very hot here and we`re still looking for the bank books. I want to have as quiet a weekend as possible and it`s too hot to walk.

But you and David go to the Goyt valley for us. :)

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
He loves me and is sorry that our life is boring!!

Jan, that's lovely.:)

So the three of us have had words of appreciation this week, words we'll all treasure.

Sylvia, sorry you had a bad night again, hopefully it was a one-off, and a restful day will restore the good times.

Sadly, my euphoria didn't last either. John was not well yesterday, with all the signs of the chest infection resurfacing. Worrying, because he's already on antibiotics.

Hope you both have a good day.

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,

Am sorry to hear the sundowning returned...hoping it's a one off..

It seems as though when it does happen these days it's much later in the day...just what you don't want before bed...

Jan, ...have a lovely time in the Goyt Valley..wish we were coming with you..many happy memories of picnics there together..

Love gigi xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Sylvia,
It's horrible having one's hopes dashed. But you can accentuate the positive - you did have a very good week and so did Dhiren. Maybe the sundowning is starting to slow down and will only occur occasionally. We can only hope and go forward.
Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What is so ridiculous is how upset we both were this morning, causing it to take over two hours to find the bank books.

They were eventually unearthed in a place we`d both looked several times before but `looked and did not see`.

And now Dhiren is very subdued and I`m emotionally drained.

Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

Love xx

Status
Not open for further replies.