A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Sylvia,

Sorry the sundowning has returned. Having been on such a high you must have felt the drop like those poor people on that Qantas flight. :eek:

When things are going well I belive that things will never be bad again; and when things are going badly I can't believe things will ever be good again. I guess that's what makes AZ such a rollercoaster.

Going back to what you said about the way Dhiren is with the professionals - animated and engaged, it is such a contrast with my Dad who becomes withdrawn and just rolls his eyes at me. The SW and CPN seem to have little idea how to talk to a dementia patient. The SW talks to him like he a 3 year old and the CPN just ignores him! Contrast this with the Day Centre where, from the driver who picks him up to the head, they are superb with him. We have a review at the Day Centre on Thursday to see if it will continue.

Hope you have a quieter weekend.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sue

Clearly the `right` professional are worth their weight in gold.

I do hope your father will be able to continue at the day centre. I can`t see any reason why he wouldn`t if they are so good with him. I`m sure your mother benefits as much as your father does.

Dhiren is watching the athletics now and in a much more animated frame of mind. I`ll be better after a peaceful night.

Let us know the [good] news after Thursday.

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,

Dhiren is watching the athletics now and in a much more animated frame of mind. QUOTE]

That's a relief....hope you have a better night..and get some sleep..

Sue..I hope the review on Thursday goes well for you and Dad...it sounds positive...let us know!

Love gigi xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

Just saying hello before I retire for the night. I have got that virus and a very sore throat but have had a nice relaxing day in the garden.

I read about Dhiren and the sundowning last night:( I hope you get a better night tonight. I thought you were away with friends for the weekend?

Alan had a bad evening yesterday. He couldn't understand the simplest instruction - e.g. "take off your socks":eek: He's somewhat better today.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen.

WE will be away Tuesday till Thursday .......hopefully.

I`m sorry you`re not well. Do you think this infection affected Alan`s comprehension of language? Just a thought, seeing infections seem to increase confusion.

I hope Dhiren hasn`t caught anything at the Day Centre or Alzheimers Cafe. It has only just occurred to me. He has been isolated for such a long time he might have lost all his immunity.

Love xx

BeadieJay

If I forget between now and Monday, I just wanted to say that I really hope your trip away from home will go well. I know how stressful it is to travel any distance, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you will cope with everything that comes your way. And I hope that Dhiren will have a lovely time as well.

If you're anything like me, you'll need another holiday when you get home!!

Will be thinking of you both. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks BeadieJay.

Dhiren really is looking forwards to it but has no concept of the journey.
One good thing about being retired. If I am shattered when we get home, it won`t matter.
Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Sylvia

Do you think this infection affected Alan`s comprehension of language? Just a thought, seeing infections seem to increase confusion.

Good point Sylvia. I feel awful and can't think straight so it could well have affected Alan in another way. He seems very attentive today because he knows I'm not well (which is unusual) and I hope he's not worried (doesn't seem to be). My throat is sore and my gums are so swollen on one side that my teeth feel like they are being pushed out:eek:

Our canoeing day is off which is a shame - couldn't face it today because, as you know, doing anything means being on top form.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good morning Helen

You sound dreadful. :(

If I`m ill, Dhiren hovers around not knowing what to do. Touch wood, I`m not often ill, but I understand that Alan might be worried.

Have a restful day and allow yourself to be ill. It`s the best way to get better...total relaxation.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I hope Dhiren hasn`t caught anything at the Day Centre or Alzheimers Cafe. It has only just occurred to me. He has been isolated for such a long time he might have lost all his immunity

He has been isolated for such a long time he might have lost all his immunity

hope this does not sound disrespectfully, could it Just be down to mixing with people as in IE:- like when children go to school, they pick up every bug that the other children get , Or like when we are at work or on a Bus with a group of people we tend to pick up a Virus that is going around that they may have,
because we are in such an in close proximity to them .

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Maggie.

You are so right, that is exactly what I meant. Anyway Dhiren is fine today so I don`t think he`ll have picked up a bug. :)

Love xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Sylvia

Sorry to read about the sundowning again.

Maybe he was just really tired that night. With the daycare centre etc. there have been a few changes and I know that sometimes that I find I jsut get tired when life catches up with me!

Hope that you have a good time this week.

Love

Mameeskye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Mameeskye

It`s good to hear from you. :)

The confusion has started.
Dhiren woke early and looked around the room trying to get his bearings. Then when he woke properly this morning, he was surprised we were still at home, he thought we`d been away and returned.

Roll on tomorrow. :)

Love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Roll on tomorrow

Can understand the feeling Sylvia, hope all goes well for you both.

Do try to have a calm day today. May help for the journey tomorrow.
(Hey, what do I know:rolleyes:, this illness is a law unto itself)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Day Centre Week 4

DHiren refused to go.

He had a restless night, woke unsure where he was, looked around the room in confusion, went back to sleep.

Woke later, still tired, thought we`d been away and returned. Wanted to know where we`d been.

Sat with puzzled look, then woke a bit more. Had breakfast and began to read the paper.

When the transport came was really shirty with the driver, argued he was not ill, nothing wrong with him, refused to go.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Morning Sylvia,

Woke later, still tired, thought we`d been away and returned. Wanted to know where we`d been.

That's interesting...Dhiren knows you're going away..but isn't sure whether he's been away and forgotten about it...

Perhaps it's as well he hasn't gone today...he'll be more rested for travelling tomorrow.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you!!

love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve spoken to the day centre. C is off sick and the head of the MHT, M was there ready to spend the day with Dhiren instead.
We decided it might be as well to leave it for today as Dhiren is so tired and confused.
M offered a home visit today if I wished. I`m not sure but the offer is there if I need it. All I have to do is give her a ring and she`ll be here.
M also said if I have any problem while we`re away, I should phone them.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Good Morning Sylvia

It sounds like you've had an eventful morning already! I just wonder whether Dhiren's exhausted because the weather in England isn't very restful when it's hot because we don't have the facilities. This means we can be listless during the day and then not properly rested at night.

Whatever, I bet you're dreading things going back to how they were but if you are then just go back to one moment at a time. I hope it doesn't spoil your plans for the few days away.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
It's me again Sylvia

Just read your latest post and this is wonderful. Just shows that things won't go back to how they were before because Dhiren might change from moment to moment but the support seems pretty solid.

Love

Status
Not open for further replies.