A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
DearSylvia

The consultant was very sensitive to his needs and handled him well.

I am so pleased about this. I am just contacting to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are still with you at what must be a very frightening and unfamiliar situation.

Love Sylvia

Helen

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Sylvia

Thanks for the update, you had so many people rooting for you and Dhiren yesterday.

It's good that that the hospital staff are sympathetic, that must make you more confident about leaving him. But I know how hard it is to walk away.

I hope today goes well, and you begin to see an improvement. It will be wonderful if they can sort out the sundowning problem, and you can have him home for some happy times together.

Sue, I wish the same for you and your dad. Such a worrying time for you all.

You'll all be in my thoughts today, please update us when you have time.

Love to all,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you so much.

Sue I know exactly what you are going through and hope your mother is bearing up. It`s hard enough reading about the experiences of others, but when it becomes a personal reality it`s tough.

I phoned the ward this morning.
He had only about 5 hours sleep, was distressed first thing, asking about me and wanting to go home.
They asked if I wanted to speak to him.
He was tearful when he came to the phone.
S `Are you all right?`
D `No.`
S `What`s wrong?`
D `I can`t find my wallet.`
Dhiren has never enjoyed long telephone calls and today was no different. Once I`d reassured him about the most important thing, he was gone.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Oh Sylvia,

Replace the word 'car' for 'wallet' and you have countless short telephone conversations between Ken and myself over the past year. Keep your chin up, girl xx TinaT

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Dear Sylvia

[QUOTE`s hard enough reading about the experiences of others, but when it becomes a personal reality it`s tough][/QUOTE]

I do wish it didn't have to become a personal reality

My thoughts are with you.

Love Helen

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,

I'm pretty sure you'll be visiting Dhiren today, and will update us if you feel able to.

It still amazes me how quickly this has happened..and I know yesterday must have seemed to take for ever..but in reality it sounds as though things were brought into place relatively quickly.

Naturally none of us would wish this on anyone..bit it's reassuring to know that systems exist for such an emergency..and the support was there for you.

Hope you're recovering from the shock of it all. And that Dhiren is settling..and becoming more stable..he must be quite confused by the changes.

Sending you love...gigi xx

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
Sylvia I have been reading through the posts, and I was sadened to read what happend to Dhiren, and just thought I'd say that you are all in my thoughts.

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Sylvia,

Just thinking of you and all you are going through.

My uncle, who I became responsible for as the last relative alive, went through the same phase so I understand.

Love to you, Dhiren and Paul,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a wonderful day....

Paul and I went to visit. Dhiren was happier than he`s been for months.

He didn`t stop talking.
What a wonerful place he was in. How kind and gentle everyone was. So friendly and helpful. He sat in the office with them talking about India, about his life, where he had travelled. He talked to them for hours, these two lovely `office girls` [nurses].

We sat in the garden, he ate the fruit I`d taken, threw the bits he didn`t like behind his chair, didn`t notice when I crept behind him to pick up the bits and wrap them in a tissue. We were given tea and biscuits in the garden. Dhiren was first concerned we hadn`t paid and then delighted there was no charge.

When we were ready to go, he got up to come with us. I asked a nurse to distract him and she asked him for help with her paperwork. He went like a lamb.

We went back to Paul`s for a barbecue and then I came home. I have to admit I was enjoying the freedom.

I phoned the ward and spoke to him. He was not happy. He wanted to go home. He couldn`t find his wallet.
And the penny dropped.
No matter where he was he would still be wanting to go home and would still be looking for his wallet.

And I feel like a weight has been lifted.

Thank you all for being so understanding and concerned.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Sylvia,

That sounds much more promising. The ward sounds lovely, and I'm so glad that Dhiren likes the 'office girls'.

Make the most of this time, you've had no real time to yourself for years, and you need and deserve it. I'm glad you enjoyed the barbecue

The sundowning obviously continues, but hopefully they'll find a way to conrol it.

Love,

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Sylvia
Have only just caught up with your news and am so sorry to hear what has happened.
Please take care of your self and much love to you all.
Roseann

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Roseann :)

I haven`t seen you on TP for a while. Is veverything OK or have you been having a rough time?

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Phew...

Hello Sylvia,

I can "hear" the relief in your voice!

Dhiren seems to be understood and well cared for..

Enjoy that feeling of freedom.....you've certainly earned it..:D

Love gigi xx

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi Sylvia
Thank you for asking and yes I am having a very rough time.
Since hubby had his mini stroke he has gone down bank very quick, he became very depressed was crying all the time and his memory is now so bad he cannot remember 10 miniutes ago. He has got very bad with his personal habits also which I will not go into.
He repeats everthing over and over and as such I have got very short with him and have been shouting at him.
This is when I knew I needed a break and so I have put in for respite and I am now waiting for SS to get back to me.If I get it I am going to go away for a few days just for a change of scenery even if I go on my own.
I hope things get better for you soon and thank you for thinking of me when you have so much on your plate.
Take care Roseann

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Roseann

Sorry things have got so bad for you. You do sound as if you need a break, I hope you get your respite quickly.

I'm sorry I didn't pick up on your problems, please keep posting and let us know how you're getting on.

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Roseann..

Hello..I was sorry to read your post..

Do hope SS can sort out some respite so you can have a break..

Love gigi xx

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Hazel
Please dont feel sorry you have enough problems of your own but thank you anyway.
Will let you know how I go on.
One bright note today grt grandaugher came to visit and wanted to play outside so I sat out with her but ever so often she ran in side and shouted `are you alright grandad` this was from a two and a half year old who seems to know grandad has something wrong with him bless her.
Good night friends and thank you.
Roseann

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Sylvia,

I'm so glad you've had a better day. My Dad too is much on the better side. Last night he slept all through visiting, but tonight he was sat in the chair and as good as he was before Thursday. Like Dhiren he couldn't understand why he was in hospital and wanted to come with us when we left.

To be honest I would like to take him home, but we haven't had the results of his tests and as it's the bank holiday weekend there is no-one to discharge him.

It's my 40th birthday party tomorrow, a big fancy do at a local hotel which has taken some organising, and although my Dad can't now be there, I feel that we can go ahead with it now. And my sister from Athens is here :) and drinking all my gin :(;)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good news Sue. :)

It does help to know things are a bit more hopeful. We too are waiting for test results, ECG, Bloods, and any chest or UT infections.
Hopefully we will have them by Tuesday.

When did your sister last see your father? is she in for a shock?

I hope you have a wonderful party.
Love xx

Status
Not open for further replies.