A feeling of panic.

Margaret938

Thank you Gringo for pointing out to me, exactly how my darling husband must feel. I know that not remembering something and searching for a word you want to say and can't , must bring on so much anger and frustration. For these few moment of panic you knew exactly what was going on in the head of someone having to deal with this devastating illness.
My heart goes out to anyone having to deal with this on a daily basis.
Take care,
Margaret x

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I'm not sure we can imagine what it's like,
we can only try to be kind, caring and loving.

I park my car in the same place, furthest away from the door= good exercise=there's always spaces.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank you for sharing your experience. It certainly made me think, and use my imagination more.As you say, that was a moment of insight into the awful feeling of panic when something like this happens to someone with Dementia. But a few moments later you had recovered the situation and found the car....and knew what had happened. I tried to imagine my husband in the same situation...he wouldn't even be able to remember which rows of cars he'd checked, so would be walking about randomly, getting increasingly panicky and confused. It's no wonder he stays so close to me when we go shopping, and now I can better understand the look of panic on his face when I disappear into the Ladies loos. He has NO IDEA where he is, or I am, or where the car is...and he doesn't remember that I've said " wait there", so he doesn't even know what he's supposed to be doing. What a world to live in.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Rageddy Anne

What you described is so true

MIL 'clings' to me when we are out. I realise the world must be very confusing for her. Thankfully I can go into the toilet area with her so I rush into the toilet so fast so she can see me as soon as she comes out of the loo when we are out that is. The she can not work out the taps or how to dry her hands. Everything must seem alien to her

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Where are my keys? Where are my glasses? I can't find my keys until I can find my glasses ..... they'll be in my bag ... where is my bag? I can't find my bag until I can find my glasses .........
You missed out purse, Butter, and cash card! They're not always in the same place as they should be either!

I never remember to take note of where I have parked the car and so many times i think it has been stolen when I leave the store. Before I had this car via the scrappage scheme, I have to say that I always rather wished it had been!

Margaret938

Thank you for sharing your experience. It certainly made me think, and use my imagination more.As you say, that was a moment of insight into the awful feeling of panic when something like this happens to someone with Dementia. But a few moments later you had recovered the situation and found the car....and knew what had happened. I tried to imagine my husband in the same situation...he wouldn't even be able to remember which rows of cars he'd checked, so would be walking about randomly, getting increasingly panicky and confused. It's no wonder he stays so close to me when we go shopping, and now I can better understand the look of panic on his face when I disappear into the Ladies loos. He has NO IDEA where he is, or I am, or where the car is...and he doesn't remember that I've said " wait there", so he doesn't even know what he's supposed to be doing. What a world to live in.

Hello Rageddy Anne
I bought a key through the Dementia Service, which opens Disabled Toilets and I used this when out with my husband, and we both went into the toilet. George is in a Care Home now, but it was very useful when he was with me.
Take care,
Margaret x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
oh boy. I wondered how one got into the disabled toilets!!! Does the key open them all?

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Wow. I never knew. There seem to be a lot on the link that you gave us. Does it matter which one I buy?

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello Rageddy Anne
I bought a key through the Dementia Service, which opens Disabled Toilets and I used this when out with my husband, and we both went into the toilet. George is in a Care Home now, but it was very useful when he was with me.
Take care,
Margaret x
Thankyou very much for this advice, Margaret. I didn't know those keys existed, will be such a help.

And reading the thread, it seems quite a few people weren't aware of them, so you've helped a lot of us.