5HTP and Seratonin levels

Dawnw67

Nov 13, 2023
Thank you for help with shower advice for my mum who has later stages of vascular dementia- it was really helpful.

Please can I ask if anyone can recommend a good alternative to 5HTP -my mum has been on this for a while and we are worried as advice seems to indicate to use for up to a year. It helps my mum by increasing seratonin have a positive effect with low mood and sleep so I am looking for recommended natural alternatives to help with these two areas that have worked as effectively as 5HTP.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Dawnw67

I think the best person to ask is your mother`s doctor .

Others may have knowledge and experience to share but will have no knowledge of your mother`s medical history and this form of advice could be harmful.

Dawnw67

Nov 13, 2023
Hello @Dawnw67

I think the best person to ask is your mother`s doctor .

Others may have knowledge and experience to share but will have no knowledge of your mother`s medical history and this form of advice could be harmful.
Thank you - that is something we will do but wondered what other people found worked so we can do our homework first

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Dawnw67 I would agree with @Grannie G that you should speak to your mother's doctor. An important thing to remember is that natural remedies can have an effect on prescribed medication and that 'natural' does not always mean safe.

Dawnw67

Nov 13, 2023
Hello @Dawnw67 I would agree with @Grannie G that you should speak to your mother's doctor. An important thing to remember is that natural remedies can have an effect on prescribed medication and that 'natural' does not always mean safe.
Thank you- the GP is aware of everything she is taking and we have an appointment to discuss going forward