1471 excess charges.

Liebfrau

Jun 3, 2024
Hi,I'm seeking advice in regard to an elderly person with dementia who constantly uses 1471 to keep in contact with family members.She seems to have lost the ability to dial any other way.This has resulted in extortionate bills from Virginmedia who do not seem willing to come up with a solution. Surely there is a simple way to remove the 1471 facility? It looks like we'll have to try and resolve it through an ofcom complaint?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I had a quick read around and found, apparently it's free with BT, but then realised you're talking about a specific company (no names just in case) can the same number be used for a BT service which is free by a multi million pound company like the one you mention?
I'm no expert but I understood 1471 is a BT free service where private companies can charge, sounds wrong to me, ofcom time and I'll support you all the way. K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could try:

Other phone features

Last Calling number
Dial 1471 to find out the last number that called you, and press 3 if you want to call them back straight away.
There may be a charge for returning a call so listen to the announcement carefully.

Hiding the last number
Want to conceal the number of the last call you received?
• Dial 1475 and follow the instructions
• You’ll get a call back within a minute
• Pick up, dial 1471 and you’ll find that the number that called has been replaced by “number withheld”.

If your own number is withheld, dial 1470 before dialling 1475.

Just so you know, this only erases the number when you dial 1471. If you’ve got a display on your phone, or a Caller Display Unit, check your phone manual to find out how to erase the number from there too.

Page 18

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As the link nitram posted, BT say it is a free service, using the same number by a private company who charge...well I hope they sleep well at night is all I can say.
You move from a company where a number is free to one where it isn't, all there in the small print somewhere. K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You move from a company where a number is free to one where it isn't, all there in the small print somewhere.
The free service is obtaining the last called number, the cost is when pressing 3 to dial the number which I think is basis of OP's problem.
BT and VM are the same.