Poor Piedsmum is poorly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Isn't it amazing that I found it today - I didn't think there was anything Mum had that I didn't know about at all - I've been through her things on every care home move.

It's the last line I like best Sylvia, I did say to Mum, you go on ahead, we will follow later.

I also found a letter to her from my primary school head teacher, saying how she was looking forward to hearing what job I would eventually do - I followed in her footsteps didn't I? :)

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
You've got to put it in, your mum chose it!

My mum has written that she wants the hymn "Fight the good fight", which seems to be what your mum did. xx

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi Pied I have only just read this thread and please accept my condolences to you all.
You were meant to find that poem, Mum must have wanted it in her service :D.
I agree with the sentiments. Never goodbye just see you later.
Sending strength for the coming days/weeks
Nanak (Kim)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
I do feel Pied that you should have the Poem in the Service , its a lovely Poem

Sending much Love , Strength & Comfort

Love Grove x x x x

Last edited:

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Oh Pied,

Definitely include the poem! It will be like your mum is speaking herself.

How wonderful, comforting and what great timing. I love the sentiment and I can see why it struck her enough to write it down, though at such a young age, it must have struck a very powerful chord. At 20, few of us can relate to something like that. Had she lost someone close around that time? Might it have been read at a relative's funeral?

Whatever the reason, it meant a great deal to her, and I think the fact you found it today has huge significance.

Just before my mum died, we found her diary in dad's bedside drawer. It was from 1962, the year they met, and it let me into her life, like noting else could. I had never seen it before and didn't know she even kept a diary. I used to read it to mum at the NH, and I'm positive she could hear me. I saw, on more than one occasion, recognition in her face when I read certain passages, and I felt like I was intruding into her personal memories when I read her excitement on the day my dad gave her their first kiss. She really, really loved him, and clearly he loved her too, enough to keep this little diary next to his bed for over 40 years.

Wonderful how someone's life may appear to be over, but is so very much alive all around us. I'm so glad you found this, Pied, xxxxx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
We met the vicar today and talked for 2 hours. She was absolutely lovely.

I am exhausted today. When my sis went home, after the vicar had been, I flopped. I was intending to do some ironing but just fell asleep on the sofa and kept jerking awake all of a sudden!

I just feel like there is still so much to do. I have planned the service, and organised a singer, and I have agreed to read the poem that Deborah suggested, Hope is the Thing with Feathers.

I am going to go to bed when I can summon the energy to go upstairs!

Love to everyone.

By the way, I can't bear to let this thread go. I keep posting on it I know. I was reading through the whole thing from the start earlier today, for the first time since Mum died, and it is amazing. I had forgotten whole days. I can see I was in denial for quite a lot of the time, and I can see by your posts that you all weren't, and I remember thinking you were all assuming Mum was going to die, and she wasn't, but I wasn't angry, I just thought I must have been giving you the wrong impression, and that you were all mis reading my posts, when in fact, you were all reading them 100% correctly, and it was me who couldn't see what was staring me in the face!!

How bizarre is that? Does anyone recognise what I am saying??

:confused::eek::confused:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Here's the order of things - the Allingham poem I found in Mum's 1951 diary will be part of the eulogy. You can see I am reading the poem right at the start (if I can man up !) and Mr Pied and Master Pied are helping carry the coffin.

Entrance & Welcome
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Judy Garland

Collect

Poem: Hope is the Thing with Feathers, by Emily Dickinson

“Hope” is the thing with feathers –
That perches in the soul –
And sings the tune without the words –
And never stops — at all –

And sweetest — in the Gale — is heard –
And sore must be the storm –
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm –

I’ve heard it in the chillest land –
And on the strangest Sea –
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb — of Me.

Meditation

Ave Verum

Hail, true Body, born
of the Virgin Mary,
who having truly suffered, was sacrificed
on the cross for mankind,
whose pierced side
flowed with water and blood:
May it be for us a foretaste [of the Heavenly banquet]
in the trial of death.
O sweet Jesus, O pious Jesus, O Jesus, son of Mary,
have mercy on me. Amen

Readings

Revelations: 21

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I, John, saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

John:14 Jesus comforts the disciples
‘Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.’
5 Thomas said to him, ‘Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?’
6 Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.’

Eulogy
Meditation
The Lord is my Shepherd
Commendation & Prayers

Sarum Primer

God be in my head
And in my understanding
God be in mine eyes
And in my looking
God be in my mouth
And in my speaking
God be in my heart
And in my thinking
God be at my end
And at my departing

Blessing
Exit - Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye
Gracie Fields

A memorial service will be held at a date to be confirmed in Piedsmum's home city.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I think sometimes you don't allow yourself to accept what you are seeing and what you "know" is happening and its a form of self protection. You gradually come to realise what is going on and that is at a point where you can deal with it a little more and find some level of acceptance.

I am glad you have this thread - it was part of your Mums story and life which you gave us the chance to share and to support you with. I think there is a way you can export the thread to an ordinary document just in case anything should ever happen to the website. It may be worth doing as I think it will be something you look at a few times now, then maybe not for some time but there will be times in the future when coming back to it will be a comfort and support. Just a thought - I am sure one of the admins can tell you how to export it other than copying every individual post - so that you don't lose it.

I still find myself waking up in the night and thinking "Wonder how Pied is doing?" - sometimes log in from my phone to see if you are here and if you need someone to talk with or respond to your posts.

I think you and your Mum touched a lot of peoples hearts by the love and courage you both showed. You keep this thread going for as long as it is what you want.

Caring hugs, hope you get a good nights restorative sleep

Celia
xx

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Pied,

The service will be beautiful. Reading what you have planned has brought a tears to my eyes (somewhere over the rainbow did it!).

You're mum will look down on you and be so proud.

God bless,

Sharon

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thank you Celia, that is so lovely of you to say, and I don't recognise myself as brave or strong at all. In fact I think of myself as a bit of a coward!

The GP said today, "Hmm, quite a strong person, aren't you?", looking over the top of her glasses at me. I was thinking, "Me?" I always think I am just teetering on the brink of not coping. As I am sure are a lot of us! It's called being human, isn't it?;):eek:

I would love to know how to export this document if anyone could please tell me. I'd love to keep it. Though it's horrendously hard to read in places, in others, (like the Sound of Music bit) it brings back the feeling that we could still laugh in spite of everything! :)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Pied,

I posted you a post about your mother's poem and I can't find it on your thread:eek: I remember saying how it spoke so much to me of how she wanted things to be. She went to the trouble of writing it down and it has remained there and is only just now re-discovered.

I do hope the service goes beautifully.

Regarding the thread I couldn't let go of my thread with Alan. I had lost him, lost all the carers in one fell swoop and it felt like I might lose TP as well because I felt I didn't belong on the main forum now that I wasn't a carer. I found it a very distressing time and it took me ages and ages before I would post in the Loss section. I found it hard to explain that my loss felt so much more than losing Alan. It felt like what had been my life for some years had suddenly been taken away as well:eek: You take your time. You have lost enough for the moment.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would love to know how to export this document if anyone could please tell me. I'd love to keep it. :)

You can get the printable version Pied by clicking on Thread tools. This gives you 40 posts to a page. Then you can export or mail each page via File

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Dear Helen, you did post that post but it was on my other thread called Is it a sign? And I loved your reply and have read it lots of times.
Sylvia thanks for the technical info ... I shall have a go! X

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Evening Pied , Just read the Order of Service & its lovely & have never heard of The White Feather Poem its beautiful

Take care

Much Love

Love Grove x x x x

P S Lovely idea to have a Special Service later in the Year in Pied 's Mum Home City x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B