A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
I'm sure he will, too, Sylvia. That's just how Mum is, no two days the same.

But the pleasure of that one visit will linger in your memory to give you hope now and solace later.

I'm trying to make a difference with every visit to Mum. Most times I don't manage it but each golden one makes up for all the tired ones. And the day at the seaside still gives me a buzz. :)

Wishing you more golden visits......

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dementia is such a distressing condition for carer and cared for alike, the smallest success is comparable to a significant achievement in the `outside world`.

To those who feel they have lost the ones they love, the `real person` I `m sure they are still there. Sometimes it is just more difficult to find them.

So true, Sylvia. Those small successes may be few and far between but mean so much.

I also believe that the 'real person' is still there. In the dementia fog which obscures them and yet at times the fog briefly clears and allows us glimpses.

What a lovely happy visit that was, Sylvia, I so enjoyed reading about it, could imagine Dhiren's smile, and feel your pleasure afterwards - being on a high.

I'm glad that Dhiren's lack of interest today in the Nostalgia Book neither upset nor disappointed you and feel that he will show interest again.

Most visits I go into Henry's bedroom and take the 'My Life' folder I made up for him into the lounge. Whether or not we look through it depends on his 'mood of the day' and often it lies untouched. Other days he is interested.

But Henry's memory of the past is not as good as Dhiren's; his sounds amazing.

Loo xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Loo.

I think Dhiren`s memory of the past is only good because I can provide the visual and auditory support necessary to make it real.
He used to ask about his mother and his family but that memory has gone. He has no interest in his grandchildren any longer. And thank goodness he has stopped pining for Manchester. :)

I hope you are feeling a little better Loo.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Leaning.jpg
I`ve been having back problems since last Thursday/Friday so went to see an osteopath today.
It seems I have strained ligaments from the lumbar area, spine to hips.
I was asked if I bend or lean.
I sit with Dhiren for 2+ hours or so, several times as week, on a dining chair because the easy chairs are unsuitable for me, and lean sideways towards him.
How can I do otherwise?

Last edited:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I`ve been having back problems since last Thursday/Friday so went to see an osteopath today.
I sit with Dhiren for 2+ hours or so, several times as week, on a dining chair because the easy chairs are unsuitable for me, and lean sideways towards him.
How can I do otherwise?

Could you sit more to the front, facing him, so you lean from the hips. That's what I usually do unless we can get a settee!

Just a thought.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jan

Could you sit more to the front, facing him, so you lean from the hips. That's what I usually do unless we can get a settee!

Just a thought.

The room is so small , if I sit facing Dhiren I block the view for J who watches the television and am in the way of walking frames.
I cannot sit on soft furniture because of long standing back problems.

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi Sylvia
sorry to hear about your back, you are right about leaning over I do the same and am having problems with my hip but as you say what can we do.

The photo is lovely I wish I could get `J` to smile like that.
Hope you feel better soon
Love Roseann xx

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Oh Sylvia what a lovely photograph, you both look so happy. Thank you for sharing it with us. Sorry you have back problems, hope it gets sorted soon.

Keep well and take care. Sox

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Can you move every 15 minutes and do movements suitable for you? I was once told (over back trouble) rest and move and rest and move in a 15 minute pattern. I think sitting anywhere for two hours is not a good idea. I was also taught how to lie on the floor ... (of course I can see that may be tricky in the CH) ... so the back has a chance to recover from being upright.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Lovely piccy Sylvia. You can see you've lost some weight. ;)

Could you sit on the other side of Dhiren from time to time, perhaps?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Could you sit on the other side of Dhiren from time to time, perhaps?

J sits on the other side of Dhiren Maggie and if I sat there he would seek attention. It would also mean I would need to remove his table to make room for my chair. Thanks for trying to find a solution though. I will have to watch how I sit.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
View attachment 32203
How can I do otherwise?

What a lovely photo and what a handsome smiling husband you have

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
That photo really is lovely Sylvia. Another one to treasure. Now that you have pinpointed what might be causing the strain, I am sure you will automatically adjust your posture when you visit;)

Love

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Lovely photo Sylvia , could you use a cushion pushed behind the side of your back that needs supporting ,

Jeany x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1