A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
No matter how hard we try, it still isn't easy to work out what is happening. I can hear your brain ticking over, trying to make sense of it all. Sometimes we can follow the thread of ideas which lead our husbands to do or say something. Sometimes there is no link at all.

xxTinaT

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hi Sylvia

I'm not sure if this will help but my dad is on meds for his Parkinsons amongst other things and whilst he isn't hallucinating in it's truest form, he does experience a sense of seeing someone out of the side of his eye - his Parkinsons nurse said this is a common side effect of the particular drug....

Dad described it to me once as like the sensation you have when someone is there or watching you.... but when you turn your head they are not...

I can't remember which drug it was though... but it may be worth a check....

e

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Ella..................

You have described exactly how it seemed to me from Dhiren`s description. isn`t that strange.

I suppose several drugs have similar side effects. I will see what Terry our CPN and the consultant think.

Meanwhile we have had another calm and happy day even with the confusion. The man has not been mentioned again and still we have had no sundowning.

It`s all about getting the balance right. If the hallucination isn`t as frightening as the fear something terrible is happening to his brain, the tablets are still working.

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
I'm so glad it made sense - My dad said he wasn't frightened by the sensation (but he doesn't have dementia) but it really feels like someone is there catching in the corner of his eye.

He didn't mention it to his nurse, she raised it with him during a review after a change of meds and he was surprised when she said it to him, which is why it stuck in my memory...

glad things are calmer now

e

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
DearSylvia

I noticed that Dhiren slept for such a long time and it has obviously done him good. I am so pleased for you both and could almost feel Dhiren's pleasure that he had achieved something useful. Like Sue said, if you run out of jobs you could always loan him to us:)

Love and a hug for both of you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was woken at 4.30am. by lights going on and off all over the house.
Dhiren was dressed.

S `What are you doing?`
D `I`m ready now.`
S `What for?`
D `To go shopping.`
S `It`s four o`clock in the morning. It`s the middle of the night. We can`t go shopping now.`
D `You nudged me and said `Wakeup. Wake up. We have to go shopping.``
S `You must have been dreaming. I didn`t nudge you. I was asleep.`

So he got undressed and came back to bed.

D `I feel a fool.`
S `You`re not a fool. You were dreaming.`
D `Well at least I`m not violent and I don`t hurt anyone.`

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sylvia

D `Well at least I`m not violent and I don`t hurt anyone.`

I hope you both have a lovely day and that Dhiren is as keen to go shopping in the waking hours;)

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm not actually sure about that.

I know you and Dhiren can have good conversation and discussion on a good day. I envy that.

But it's a trade-off. When he no longer understands, you'll lose the conversation, but you'll also lose the torment.

Or will you? Maybe it will be another kind of torment!:eek:

I don't know! This disease is hell, whatever form it takes.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Helen.

This could be seen as Dhiren consoling himself which is very positive. :)
I think you are right. Dhiren often consoles himself with;
`At least I`m not in pain.`
`At least I`ve not got cancer.`
`I can walk and talk and read.`
and
The positivity continues.......we have done 15 minutes loosening up exercise and half an hour in the garden, with Dhiren deadheading the Hydrangea.
He is so pleased with himself.
I now have to think of gardening activity which does not involve bending down and is not too heavy.
Any suggestions will be received with gratitude.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
The positivity continues.......we have done 15 minutes loosening up exercise and half an hour in the garden, with Dhiren deadheading the Hydrangea.
He is so pleased with himself.

That is good news .
I now have to think of gardening activity which does not involve bending down and is not too heavy.
Any suggestions will be received with gratitude.

It it because you want to do it together ?

As I am wondering about the " bending down and is not too heavy"
Is it both of you , that can't bend down lift think that are to heavy ?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Maggie

It it because you want to do it together ?
It`s because Dhiren wants to feel useful but he has never gardened in his life. If he stays interested it will give him fresh air and exercise, but because of his unsteady gait it needs to be something manageable.

And yes, I`m not good at heavy gardening either. Creaky bones. ;)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sylvia,

We have mentioned to each other before that Dhiren and Lionel - along with many others I am sure - have had similar tendancies, but I was so surprised when I read:

`At least I`m not in pain.`
`At least I`ve not got cancer.`
`I can walk and talk and read.`

I though, for a moment, that they were one and the same person.
Oh, the times Lionel would say just those words - uncanny.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Ken doesn't think this way but when I say to him that there are a lot of people much worse than we are, he agrees.

I think it is the lucid moments which give me the most pain as it is then that I can see that he does know what is happening to him. It is then that the real Ken appears briefly.

As others have said, I wouldn't have the pain if he didn't have these moments but I also wouldn't ever see the 'real' Ken again. Heart breaking but wonderful Sylvia - these moments of clarity.

xxTinaT

Squibbs

May 13, 2008
Portsmouth, England
I'm not much of a gardener myself but when my mother was alive but not very able she enjoyed planting bulbs in raised beds or sitting at the garden table planting them in containers - is this the right time of year for that ? Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5