So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

JM, so sorry to read you have been so poorly, and I really hope you have seen the last of the bug now and can get some cycling in xxx Good news about your son being taught to type, though I get the upset you feel over not knowing that he needs that level of help, despite all the fighting you have done on his behalf. I don't get why it has to be such a battle to get kids help with so many of the assisted learning needs - dyslexia, dyspraxia, etc. I had to battle to get my son diagnosed, paying privately for a dyslexia assessment at Bangor uni, and then had to use that as a lever to get the assessment for dyspraxia - so obvious he had problems, but still massive reluctance from the LEA to assess and help. Infuriating.

Gutted for your daughter that she failed driving test. I can imagine the stress that caused, and I really feel for you. I guess if she is swithering and trying to decide on uni choice, that isn't helping either. Youngest still hasn't started driving lessons here - too busy working! She has completed and passed her level 2 instructors course, now has regular hours teaching swimming, and most weeks between that and her lifeguarding hours, we don't see that much of her. However, during the time she is home, she continues to make her usual mess, and invariably there are rows :( Her bedroom remains the biggest issue, but this week (during another hair dying session) she left the bathroom in a dreadful state and only the fact that she has worked two long days since has averted an epic row, as OH was so angry with her over it.

Slugsta and Spamar, weather has turned horribly cold here too. Heating on quite a bit of the time, and Seamus the dog very reluctant to even put his nose outside the door! He doesn't 'do' cold or wet weather, as soon as he we go out, and he has answered natures call, he wants back home again.

Glad you enjoyed your weekend away, Slugsta x.

As per usual, really busy here. Work is - well, same old. Meeting myself coming backwards. But, after the digs about my 'time management', I've stuck to my 28 hours the last two weeks - which of course means that not everything gets done. I'm off to South Wales tomorrow, for a meeting regarding the additional work which is constantly being piled on us all. Our new immediate line manager is back, and proving to be incredibly supportive, and a pre-meet phone call went well, with the very 'top' bosses indicating that they are aware about all the work that is being demanded, which isn't actually part of our job, from the top Welsh managers. And that they are not happy about it. A trip to the south is going to eat up 12 - 14 hours of my week, so once thats out of the way, there is just about enough hours left for me to run my project sessions - and thats it! Most of the staff in my role are taking the same tactic - working flat out for the 28 hours, but anything over that - nope, not a chance. And its becoming increasingly obvious that we just don't have enough hours to do all that is being asked of us.

In addition to the job, work on the house 'makeover' has continued, and downstairs is pretty much done - thank crunchy! We have finally got rid of the corner units (that used to belong to Mil). After contacting various charity shops and organisations, even offering them for free on a local website, it was clear that there were no takers, so I'm afraid it was the skip for them. In absolutely mint condition, but - so dated. The 2 seater sofa from the dining room has been snapped up though, and thats off to a charity shop on Friday afternoon. We had decided to replace the front room sofa's - two large 3 seaters - after Christmas, but then noticed while out shopping on Friday (just for a table cloth, thats all we went out to buy!) a furniture store closing down. In we went, and found a huge corner suite at an absolute bargain price - and because the store was closing, they could deliver the next day (yesterday!). Frantic rush to get rid of the old sofa's - nearly 10 years old and showing a lot of wear, so skip for them - and move things around to accomodate the new stuff. Worth it though - considering the new suite will sit 7 and is massive, it seems to take up far less room, making the lounge look so much bigger. All thats left now, apart from getting rid of the dining room sofa, is a shelf to be put up in the lounge, and organising where a few bits and bobs are going to go. It's so good to have all of it sorted in plenty of time for Christmas. This coming weekend, oldest two (plus their partners, Bert the tortoise and my two Granddogs) are descending, with the plan that they are going to put the Christmas tree up and decorate the house - they (mainly youngest!) have planned copious amounts of snacks and chocolates, a takeaway, a play list of Christmas music and are turning it into a real get together - heaven only knows how OTT they are planning to go!

Son is starting a new job next Monday - as an OSG (support guard) in one of his local prisons, whilst waiting for the start of an officer training course, as he has passed all the assessments and tests to qualify him for training. Can't say I'm thrilled - the short time OH was an officer showed me just how stressful, risky and worrying that job is, but son is determined and it is a step towards him getting a role as a P.I. (Physical Instructor) which is what he wants. The biggest concern is that he may have to work Christmas - which may mean we have to head to Preston on Christmas day, because no way is he spending Christmas just working or home alone!

I went to see Mil on Wednesday. She looks amazingly well, despite the rattling chest, better than I've seen her in ages - frail, but her colour was good and since the hospital trip, she has begun to both feed herself - and get up and walk again. Only short distances, slowly and tiny steps, but for several months now, she has only been able to walk with support, so this is a surprising turn up, and the staff are as amazed as I am. The counting that I noticed in hospital is still evident, and none of us understand it. She takes your hand and either counts fingers (and you do have to watch her, because she will suddenly bend fingers back or twist them) or traces circles with her finger on your palm, counting all the time. Now and again she just starts shouting out numbers, without holding your hand. Sometimes she can get as high as 40 or 50, sometimes she skips from number to number, sometimes she will start at 13 or 20 or 27, or whatever . She can get 'stuck' on a number, in which case she will repeat it a couple of times and then shout it (thats when you have to be particularly careful of your fingers), and now and again, she starts to count in 5's. Its incredibly strange. You can ask her and she will either say she doesn't know what she is counting, reply (quite crossly) that she is counting 'the things', or say something that sounds quite daft like 'I'm counting trifles'!. She has also developed a habit of shouting for help. Even when sat at the table eating, every few seconds she shouts, but there is no sign of distress and she can't tell you want she wants help with.

She has also laid claim to a doll - the home have taken delivery of several baby dolls, for the residents, and Mil has abandoned her teddy in favour of a little girl doll. The staff say she pays it a lot of attention - and it can calm her at times. However, double edged sword, as it also makes for quite a chunkly weapon, and there is no telling when she will suddenly swing it by the legs and clobber you across the face with it. It's never straightforward with Mil, is it? Now looking out for a soft bodied doll for her for Christmas, that hopefully won't be quite as an effective (and painful) weapon for her!

And that's me up to date! Today is a chill day, sorting a few things ready for tomorrow, but otherwise, having a break. The fibro is still 'flaring', though not quite as bad as it was, and given the journey tomorrow, I want to take it easy today.

Hope that everyone is OK, and sending much love to all of you xxxxx

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Ann, instead of it taking up so much time with travel (which in itself must be expensive for the charity) why not ask if some of these meetings could be via Skype?

Safe travels tomorrow and hope you get your chill day xx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Great idea Celia, it would save time and money all round.

Ann, I'm glad that you have got the lounge as you want it - just in time for the Christmas decs by the sound of it! It seems there will be a full-scale operation to get the tree done next weekend.

I hope your meeting is fruitful, it sounds as if everyone is suffering from unrealistic expectations. Meanwhile, the mass 'work to rule' sounds like the way to go.

It's good to hear that MIL is looking well - although the acquisition of a new weapon sounds rather alarming! Do the 'Cabbage Patch Dolls' still exist? I seem to remember that they were soft.

Congratulations to your son for getting the job he wants - although I can understand your concern.

I'm sorry, but not surprised that your fibro is still troublesome (((hugs)))

JM, I'm sorry you have been so unwell (((hugs))).

The weather has turned a bit warmer here again, but grey and wet. The time seems to be racing by :(

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Goodness! I did some reading this morning, but wanted to go shopping early. Then back to F1, last race of season, so for once I watched all the hype rather than just the actual race.

JM, oldest grandau failed first practical, but passed her second. It took her 4, I think, times to pass theory, though the first time she forgot to take her licence! I don’t think they charged her for it, though. Anyway, she is buzzing around these days. Second granddaughter passed both tests first time, she’s that type of girl. Now at IC, doing Biology, enjoying things hugely, learning to scuba dive, as you do! Youngest grandau not old enough for driving yet, but it’s not far off. Time to save my pennies, I’ve been paying for most of this. Though with the eldest, another grandmother paid for theory tests! ( she’s got 4! And 2 surviving grandads).

Hope you’ll soon be fighting fit! You haven’t my excuse ( advanced age!).

Are you just going to Cambridge or staying there the week? Sure we could meet up if you are staying. Don’t you have to go to Ipswich sometime around then, or don’t they coincide? You’ll know the A14 better than I do!

Ann, please don’t do too much! I approve of sticking to your hours, rigidly, and getting your co workers to follow suit. Otherwise, how will the management ever know? And yes, Skype or FaceTime is the way to go! Family meet-up sounds fun, if strenuous!

Odd behaviour from your mil, though. OH didn’t get that far!

Hi Slugsta. I’m assuming the funeral I didn’t go to went OK, I haven’t heard! I’ve just got more problems in that area now! There’s been numerous problems ever since fil died in 1986. Would have thought it would be all over by now, but no, they just keep coming!

This morning it was sunny, though not very warm if you were out. Now grey, grey, grey! And getting dark! Next week I’ve got several things on, Christmas is coming, folks! I start on Tuesday with visit from the podiatrist and a visit to the hairdresser. All set for the season!

I’m pleased that my steps aren’t coming on one day, one family on the 30th, one family in January. More meals out!

Have a good time everybody, don’t work too hard!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello to everyone and I am sorry I've been such a stranger recently. I am far from caught up but wanted to say hello.

Ann, I am glad to read your update. I'm sorry that work is still so stressful. I do think that you and your colleagues have the right idea, work only your allotted hours per week and not one minute more. If management challenge or question, have them tell you what they want prioritised.

I know some meetings are best done in person but generally speaking, spending all that time on travel seems a poor use. Have they not heard of Skype and conference calls???

OH and I just returned home last night from my aunt's house, where we had been since Wednesday for our Thanksgiving celebration. It was good to be with family and we had a very nice meal. There was a lot of cooking and dish washing! Now that Thanksgiving is over, it's full speed ahead on Christmas and I am excited for festive planning.

I will put more details on my thread but we are mostly okay. OH has been busy at work, which is usual this time of the year. We aren't hearing much from his family at the moment, so no crises there of which I'm aware. My mother is generally stable. We have a minor concern about a blood pressure issue and there are, as always, paperwork and admin issues to sort, but overall, more than reasonably okay. (Subject to change with no notice, of course.)

Ann, I am intrigued and puzzled by MIL's counting. The shouting of "help" is a behaviour I am familiar with and from what I understand, no, it generally isn't because the person wants or needs help, but is more of a general form of communication. I think it's a great idea to find a soft bodied doll, to cut down on potential harm!

I have to dash but will try to be in better touch. Much love to you all!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi Amy, it;s lovely to hear from you. I am glad that you had enjoyable Thanksgiving celebrations and that things are, generally, as OK as they can be :)

Spamar, I'm sorry that there are more family problems :( Hope you enjoy your get-togethers.

I would love to go to Cambridge again but it is such a long drive from here! My friend used to go up quite often when her son was there but he is home again now. I did spend a few lovely days a few years ago,staying in guest rooms at Jesus and seeing the sights :)

We had a lovely sing at Tesco's yesterday - there was supposed to be an all-day community event but the organisers omitted to make any arrangements for inclement weather! We are always welcome at Tesco and raised some money for our charity - last week we handed over £1000 that we had raised throughout the year :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Well her interview is at Jesus college @Slugsta.

Sadly don't think I will have time to meet up @Spamar. I was hoping to but dau wants me on hand to walk round things so that I can calm her nerves. I get into Cambridge on Monday evening, and then leave on Tuesday lunchtime. You are right about Ipswich, it is the weekend after Cambridge, 9th Dec, but OH is doing that one.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It’ll probably be muddy, JM. We’ve had an inch of rain over the last two days, and it’s raining hard at the moment. The forecast is more rain! On the other hand, it’s very sandy down there, rain disappears quickly!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Jm, I wish your daughter well. My godson really enjoyed his time in Cambridge, although dogged by (mental) ill-health so he took several years off partway through his course. The college were certainly sympathetic to his problems and did everything they could to help.

Spamar, we haven't had as much rain here as you. It is just generally 'dirty' weather - grey, wet and miserable - temps are still in double figures centigrade. We seem to have missed the worst of the wind too, although it sounds gusty at the moment.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No, fortunately. And I didn’t see any whilst I was out. I went to a Farm shop Christmas tasting, I supppose is the best way to put it. Lots and lots of samples! Then coffee and cake! It’s not yet midday and I’ve already overeaten!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Amy, lovely to hear from you, hun - glad you enjoyed Thanksgiving, and especially glad that all is (relatively) calm with your Mum at the moment.

Good luck for your dau at Cambridge, JM. My youngest has left me gonsmacked by walking in a few days ago and telling me she has an interview at the local college to do a BTEC in applied maths! I have NO idea where this has come from, she plans to do it PT over 2 years so she can continue working (and earning, of course), and I do know that with her, going to the interview is one thing - actually enrolling and doing the course could well be another! She has also booked (finally) driving lessons - that's all 3 of mine currently learning, so I forsee stressy times ahead!

Sorry to hear you have family issues to deal with Spamar :( The Christmas 'tasting' sounds like it was enjoyable though :)

Glad you enjoyed the singing Slugsta, and well done on the funds raised x

We have had 3 days of horrible rain, with more forecast, and yesterday it blew a gale all day, with very heavy winds. The wind seems to have died down, now, but still very wet and miserable. I had a couple of trips out with my groups planned for next week, but all outdoor venues and we have reluctantly decided to postponed them until the weather is better.

Celia, at the meeting they agreed that I could skype in for some meetings - it has been tried before, and typically the tech is so poor that it doesn't really work. We'll see. Some meetings though, I apparently must be there in person - so next Friday see's me off to South Wales again. The meeting went well, I am hopeful that we will see some changes, as there was clarification from the top on what my job should entail, and definite rules laid down about what it is and isn't reasonable to expect me (and others in my job) to do. A lot of what has gone on was glossed over, but tbh, I don't care, I'm more interested in seeing things change. Unintentional, but I ended up testing the waters, so to speak, this week, when having sat down to list what I have coming up in the next 4 weeks, I discovered 2 meetings/events would be falling on my time off, a load of additonal admin falling around the same time, and as I have have a lot of projcts running for my 'normal work', it would leave me working a considerable number of unpaid hours. So, I broke down all I have on, in an email, sent it to my immediate boss (the new one, who seems to be incredibly supportive, to be fair) and got a response where she took on letting the bosses above her know that I would not be attending either the event or the meeting, she stepped in and sorted me being able to delay/change some heavy additional admin that I'd also been charged with. I'm not sure it solved all the problems, but my goodness, it went a long way towards helping!

The drive to and from S Wales was awful - traffic was horrendous in both directions. I'd set off an hour early to do the (according to google maps) 3 hour 20 minute drive down there, but ended up 10 minutes late to the meeting because of the traffic. Coming home, same story - with the bonus of the last hour driving in the dark, in fairly heavy fog. It'll be the train next Friday!

After a week of living with the new sofa and the feature wall (painted in teal) in the front room, I decided that the teal, sadly, had to go! The sofa is a blue/green colour, and it just was too much of a clash. So, yesterday, I paid a visit to the local big DIY store that is closing, and found a deep forrest green colour in the heritage range. Usually around £49 for a large tin, I paid £13 sale price, and by 2pm yesterday, the wall was done - and I love it! Warmer, and it compliments rather than clashes. While I was getting the paint for the front room, I bought paint for the hall, stairs and landing, and our bedroom - plus another tin, simply because I fell in love with the colour (even if I don't quite know where I am going to use it yet) - the total cost for all was less than the usual cost of just one tin, so I am congratulating myself on having got quite a bargain there!

I havent been near Mil because yet again, I'm in the thick of a heavy head cold. Not really feeling too ill, but sneezing, coughing and going through tissues at a rate of knots :( OH has been to see her, and for once reported she was in a cracking mood, no sudden attacks, she spent the whole visit wanting to sing! Makes a nice change.

The whole gang are descending this evening - oldest and her partner, son and his partner, plus the two granddogs and my grand tortoise! Son's partner has sent me some shots of Christmas tree ornaments she has picked up - sparkling dinosaurs! I have no idea why anyone would make christmas dinosaur ornaments in the first place, but the whole bunch seem to feel that they are a gem of a find - I'm beginning to feel quite scared about what exactly they intend to do this weekend!

Right -time for shower, getting dressed and to get moving - a project this morning, then I am stopping work till Monday. Hopefully, the old dining room sofa will be gone around lunch time, and I'll be able to have everywhere sorted - just in time for the gang to arrive and do goodness knows what to the house.

Take care everyone, and love to all xxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Ann, well done on nabbing the bargain paint - and on getting the wall repainted as you want it. I cannot carry colour in my head so have made many mistakes on that score :(

I'm sorry the drive to and from the meeting was such hard going but am very glad that the meeting seemed fruitful. As you say, trying to point the finger at who/what went wrong is less constructive than agreeing a way forward. I really hope you can make this work as I know how much you love the job, but the amount of work you were being asked to do was simply unsustainable.

Sorry to hear that you are unwell again, please let the family do everything while they are here, while you sit with a cuppa and relax as much as possible(((hugs))).

I skipped aquagym this morning :oops: I was already very tired but, typically, then had a bad night. So I decided that sleep would do me more good, switched the alarm off and slept in until 9am :eek:

Spamar, I'm glad you didn't see any weather-related damage (hope everyone else can say the same). I agree that the Christmas tasting event sounded great :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning all,
Would have been OHs 86th birthday yesterday. Where does the time go? Both stepdau and I wished him happy birthday!

Hope things go well for everyone!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
@Slugsta - biochemistry, although at cambridge, that translates into Natural Sciences.

@Spamar - I was thinking of you and OH's birthday yesterday, didn't manage to post.

It was good to see you today @Spamar - hope you are OK after driving a bit further than normal. I did 5.25 hours of driving in total (no I didn't count, but the display on the car does it for me, goes back to zero after 2 hours). Pretty tired now, but not quite finished housework that needs doing.

Ann - hope the decorating went well and the dinosaurs look good - I agree why dinosaurs for Christmas. redecorating sounds good, still waiting to get round to some rooms in our house, we moved in 95, sport has always come first. I hope you were feeling better and well enough to enjoy the visit. Amazing that MIL was in such a good mood and long may it continue.

That drive to south wales if it was done in a day is a lot for anyone, sadly the trains on that route seem to be struggling more and more as well.

Dau has worked out what she did wrong on driving test - no longer blaming everyone else!

Went to visit mum on sunday, and found a care plan when I looked in folder to check sheets for care visits - the box with diagnosed with dementia states no, and also no vision problems, but there are definitely dementia related vision issues, spatial awareness etc. Not sure if worth querying as her care level is good and appropriate. A carer popped in to get her a cheesecake out of fridge to keep her eating whilst i was there which I wasn't aware was on the care plan, certainly no question of missing a trick by the care team.

I got her to open advent calendar I'd left a couple of weeks ago, she said she'd seen it, but thought it was a Christmas dec, so I showed her the numbers but she struggled to open them, she enjoyed opening them and eating the chocolate.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was fine, journey home was a good ‘un. Gives me hope for further journeys! The days seem to have gone when I just jumped in the car and drove to the southwest, just like that! 6 hours driving, minimum.
Enjoyed it hugely! Thanks for including me in your juggling!

Fingers crossed for dau!

Today’s task is Christmas cards. But I have to go the bank as well. Let’s hope I don’t stray to a coffee shop!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Jm and Spamar, I'm glad you were able to get together for a proper natter :)

Jm, I'm glad your daughter has worked out what she did wrong in the driving test and hope it leads to a more peaceful atmosphere at home. My Godson studied Computer Science at Jesus, so I can't comment on Natural Sciences at all.

I started my Christmas cards last week but haven't done anything since :oops:

Sending everyone some (((hugs))) to be taken, liberally, as required.