imsoblue

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It sounds like an obsession with money to me - an obsession with having money and a fear that there is non.
There is someone else on the forum (cant remember who) whose wife has exactly the same obsession with selling their house because "you need money", but cant understand that this will leave them without a roof over their heads.

Dont feel guilty. He wont be able to follow this through at all. Whatever he says you will indeed be on your own.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Do you think he is reliable?
I know he's not reliable. But I do have to keep reminding myself because he can SEEM reliable. If he had hallucinations, he would for sure have Lewy Bodies disease. One characteristic I read was that the patient can be okay 1 minute and not the next. That's describes him.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
2014 my life was cruising along. 2017 it came crashing down.
Yesterday my neighbor told me about Glen Campbell's final song. The words are so true and I need to hear them every hour ("It's not gonna hurt me when you cry. I'm not gonna know what you go through."). I did a search on TP and of course, Campbell is mentioned a lot in 2014 as there was a documentary on his life called "Ill Be Me" and it is on Netflix. I stayed up way too late last night and watched it and cried. So for all you newbies, google Glen Campbell documentary and last song.
David Cassidy also had dementia.
All of those stories were so out of my line of vision in those days. So far removed. Now it consumes me, every waking hour.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
It sounds like an obsession with money to me - an obsession with having money and a fear that there is non.
There is someone else on the forum (cant remember who) whose wife has exactly the same obsession with selling their house because "you need money", but cant understand that this will leave them without a roof over their heads.

Dont feel guilty. He wont be able to follow this through at all. Whatever he says you will indeed be on your own.
Thanks @canary. I will try to find that thread. He's even called a patent attorney to try to sell an idea he had 30 years ago. Do y'all have Shark Tank on TV where entrepreneurs pitch their inventions? He despised that show and now is watching it religiously because he wants to sell his idea on it.
He's never NOT worked and been well. His job (unexpectedly, and who knows if they knew something I didn't) ended May 2017 when he was 70 years old and he was able to do a few months of retirement but then his driving privileges were revoked in September 2017.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'll bet that work did know something, especially as his driving was revoked soon after. Being unable to do the work that you have always done because you keep making mistakes is a common early symptom of dementia if you are still working.

He is in his own little bubble, but unfortunately it is not aligned to reality. As someone said to me - when you are with him, you are the only adult in the room. Its up to you to make the decisions now.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I'll bet that work did know something, especially as his driving was revoked soon after. Being unable to do the work that you have always done because you keep making mistakes is a common early symptom of dementia if you are still working.

He is in his own little bubble, but unfortunately it is not aligned to reality. As someone said to me - when you are with him, you are the only adult in the room. Its up to you to make the decisions now.
Good quote to remember! My friend (and we learned this going through our divorces from 1st husbands together) reminded me of this: You cannot reason with an @margherita and learn to just sit quietly.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Oops, my quote from my friend got cut off:
You cannot reason with an unreasonable person. AND, I need to remember what @margherita says and learn to just sit quietly.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I’ve come back to my original thread to type my thoughts of what I put on Grumpy OH. I’ve been trying to chalk up his hardheadness, rudeness, flat out refusals to take his blood pressure medicine, lack of caring and empathy and love and affection, etc to dementia. Yet yesterday it hit me that again, it’s only in regard to me. He is the complete opposite with That One, his daughter. Of course she will not convince him to take BP medicine because she doesn’t believe in medicine.
There are times during the day when I realize I am beside myself with angst. I feel such a strong pull to take care of him, help him be what he can’t be right now (responsible), and he will not accept it. His Not taking prescribed medicine to prevent stroke is going to give me a stroke!
He did call me 12 times last night after I hurriedly hung up the phone on him. I was sleeping. (He texted me “made it?” so I called to ask what he thought I made. “That was for That One.:” and he was wondering if she made it home alright.) It was like discovering he had a real girlfriend. (Been there done that with husband #!) He can show empathy and concern for her, so he’s capable, but I get not even a zero, I get verbal and emotional abuse.
He called this morning and I asked him about his eye dr appointment today. Said it got rescheduled. I could not help myself. I reminded him the things he told me about the appointment...it HAD to be this week, he didn’t need help getting there, quit telling him what to do, and now, the appointment gets changed because it’s not me doing it.
BP medicine? He just doesn’t want to take a pill once a day. Are there side effects? Nope.
And re the song discussion on another thread, I have one on my iPod that literally makes me weep. Once he got a little success behind him a few years after we married, this song came out and he loved it. See, I married him when he didn’t feel so good about himself. It’s Toby Keith singing “How do you like me now?” He knew I liked him before the success and he needed me to get to the pinnacle. So guess how I like you NOW?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
Your OH is in "host" mode when his daughter visits.
"Host/hostess" mode is something that every carer of a PWD recognises - when they visit or are visited by someone (usually medical people or other family) the PWD can suppress the symptoms of dementia for a short while, though it takes a great deal of energy and concentration, so they cant maintain it for long and it leaves them very tired. When mum was in the severe stage of dementia her hostess mode was still so awesome that she could meet people and they would not realise that she had dementia.

The outcome of this, if you are not aware of "host/hostess" mode, is that the PWD meets up with family, seems almost normal, the family member therefore thinks that you are making it all up or at least exaggerating, then goes away and you have to deal with a tired grumpy and irritable PWD and you wonder why they arnt like that to you.

Its very irritating

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
Your OH is in "host" mode when his daughter visits.
"Host/hostess" mode is something that every carer of a PWD recognises - when they visit or are visited by someone (usually medical people or other family) the PWD can suppress the symptoms of dementia for a short while, though it takes a great deal of energy and concentration, so they cant maintain it for long and it leaves them very tired. When mum was in the severe stage of dementia her hostess mode was still so awesome that she could meet people and they would not realise that she had dementia.

The outcome of this, if you are not aware of "host/hostess" mode, is that the PWD meets up with family, seems almost normal, the family member therefore thinks that you are making it all up or at least exaggerating, then goes away and you have to deal with a tired grumpy and irritable PWD and you wonder why they arnt like that to you.

Its very irritating
Yes it IS very irritating!!! Very very VERY irritating!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’m sitting with Martin and I guess I ought to post on my own thread...I’m getting it so wrong with him.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Rollercoaster afternoon. I went to see him at the AL and he asked me to buy him the machine that takes your blood pressure at home. I know this is why he loves That One and loathes me. She would have run out and bought it. I told him no way. I know (and he affirmed) that when he takes it and it appears normal, he won't take his blood pressure medicine. Hard headed, not dementia.
I said the doctor said take this medicine once a day, you have to listen to the doctor. And, if you don't and have a stroke, I am not taking care of you. He said you don't take care of me now. So I got up to leave. I have had enough. Even when we were both healthy and living a wonderful life I took care of him. But he did say, come back and sit down. I did. I couldn't stay long in the dining room though. Too upset.
Then he called me later. Mix up with dinner. His food never came. Acted like all was normal between us. But fellow TPers...this is sad. He had watched 60 Minutes a news show we have. He never watches 60 minutes. Oh, it must have come on after a late golf tournament and he kept it on. Fate. He asked me if I'd seen it. There was a segment on dementia/Alzheimer's. "I hope I don't get like that." BUT, from the conversation he knows he has dementia. Oh, at least today he does.
The story is pretty sad. Heartbreaking reality. God Bless us all. Here's a link:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-min...-a-couple-from-diagnosis-to-the-final-stages/

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I haven’t read the link yet, as I’m going to try and get some more sleep...but sometimes I find it helps that Martin knows he has dementia. He questions why he is living where he is, and I remind him that he is ill and needs to be looked after. At the moment it helps...

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I haven’t read the link yet, as I’m going to try and get some more sleep...but sometimes I find it helps that Martin knows he has dementia. He questions why he is living where he is, and I remind him that he is ill and needs to be looked after. At the moment it helps...
Sleep well my dear friend. I also watched the video. I accidentally captured it taping another show. Again Fate.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh wow, it was 23.30 & suddenly its 4 in the morning. But, I caught up on your story. I have no wise words, just try to be kind to yourself.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
O
Oh wow, it was 23.30 & suddenly its 4 in the morning. But, I caught up on your story. I have no wise words, just try to be kind to yourself.
Oh Sam, thank you. As you for sure know, sometimes there are no wise words, but words of comfort help. Thank you for your support.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I have become the paranoid one. However, as any paranoid person knows, I have good reason to be. That's a joke.
OH's family have kept things from me since this whole ordeal (living in AL) began. It is one of the WORST feelings in the world. So, the Other One and her husband took charge and bought him a new queen size bed. This weekend they replaced it with another mattress with the claim that it was a pillow top and difficult for him to get out of in the morning. Frugal me was shocked that a 2 month old mattress would be discarded. However, I have had some thoughts and I'm putting them down to get them out of my brain. First a disclaimer: all information is coming from OH as the Other One rarely speaks to me. When I asked where is the other mattress going he said "garbage" because it had been wet so much by him. (Hmm, he had 2 layers of plastic sheeting on it). He mentioned one night on the phone that "they" meaning AL are making him wear protection when he sleeps now.
Here's my belief: a new mattress is not going to help OH getting out of bed. I suspect there is, of course, more physical decline. And, in his inability to sit up or get out of bed, he is having bathroom accidents. Possibly a lot. I am sure the staff is not happy with the constant clean up. (Reminder to myself of how I fought so hard to keep him at home. Duh!)
Rather than face this, daughter is trying to solve it (mask it) with new mattress. Of course, OH and his girls never believe anything that is wrong could relate to his condition. (I just went by the AL and discovered the new mattress now has been christened also. He has had a bedside bottle to use every morning because of mobility issues. He said he spilled it and he has said that before.)
I guess my stress of the whole dang thing just makes these issues so huge for me to handle.
I'll have grandgirls a lot beginning tonight through Sunday so I hope to taking a break from OH and the D world.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
It has taken me two days to write this. I completed it and wasn't signed in so I am going to redo it. Maybe getting it out twice will relief some of this stress.
I am so alone. Even TP can't help with this. Problems with my PWD OH, his family, and even my boys have been mirrored on the site which brings me great comfort, knowing I'm not alone. But this past week has left me without any allies. I feel just alone.
I find that there are those on TP who have loved ones who are holding on to smiles and loving words. That is not me. There are those with inconsiderate, irritable, and totally ungrateful PWD. That is me. And there are those who are miserable with this PWDs. Stuck. Miserable. Exhausted. That is not me. Mine is in a CH which has relieved me of those adjectives. But I am being rejected and left out of my PWD care and decisions now that he is in a CH. I feel alone in this.
On my way to Florida, actually driving in the car, picking up my friend and having the phone on speaker I called OH. I had 2 issues to resolve. First one was OH wanted to add a cable box to his TV in CH. As I checked his email that morning I noticed the cable company was planning on doing service at our house, not the CH. Speaking to 4 different cable reps it became evident that I needed to cancel the appointment and reschedule later. I also remembered the cable delivery that arrived at the CH last week had his daughter's name on it. Yep, the invisible Other One (OO). Well, maybe SHE had a part in this and she is the one who needs to get this straight.
I called OH to let him know the cable man was NOT coming that day since it had to be cancelled. Well, invisible one was there so she took the phone. No, she doesn't know how her name got on the box, she only ordered a phone. So yes, YOU (me) work on that. So I asked her if she could sit with her dad and get him to call the state retirement office to get his pension released. They have suddenly refused to talk to me although I have had 2 meetings with them. (Son #2 says "someone must have called them.") She agreed to make the call.
On my return Monday I asked OH if OO had called the retirement office. Yes. No. (Yep, both answers).
Did she order cable? Yes she did that. Duh, I am trying to learn not to listen to his comments. So I text her the questions: Did you call retirement? OH says no. Did you call cable? OH says yes. Did you order newspaper? If yes, how is this being paid for? Direct withdrawal or do I need to send a check? Just trying to keep up. Thanks.
NO ANSWER. no answer. NO ANSWER. So, I'm going to just do things myself.
Tuesday I turned in a form for retirement pension which I had OH sign. Wednesday I tell him on the phone I haven't checked with cable because I'm waiting on replay from OO. He said, "oh she will never answer you? (tone was ninny, ninny, she will not answer you). I said why wouldn't she answer me. Then he said there were too many questions. (yep, dementia still there) Then he said she's busy. I said we are all busy. We hung up and he accidentally called me ( I knew he was calling her) and sure enough in 1 minutes I received a text from her "yes to all your questions."
What have I ever done to you????????!!!!!!! How dare her!!!! And none of the things we discussed were done as discussed!!!
Thursday, That One is in town. OH is still complaining that the new/used phone I bought him isn't working. (I'm suspecting user error.) The 30 day warranty will be up in a few days so I text her to take OH to get his phone fixed or exchanged. He doesn't like to be without it. She replies that they might not have time. WHAT? So I "Find My Friends" and I see that they are at the eye doctor. The eye doctor appointment that was Aug 28 has somehow become Aug 23 and no one told me. And therefore no one used the vision insurance card that I have paid for through my work.
Whew, what a gripe, gripe, gripe I have had. But as our commercials say: WAIT, THERE IS MORE. And that's what put me under.
Friday, I get our mail and OH has something from his stock account. I open it in case something needs to be done or maybe it's a check. N O P E. It is a notice that there has been a request for a change of address. Yep, OH's stock (and of course all other correspondence from anywhere he has money I'm sure) has a new address. It has been moved from our home to the Other One. I will no longer be receiving his mail.
Son #2 has advised me to call the broker tomorrow and find out if there is a new POA and if not, change the address back to our house. If there's a new POA......well, there is a strong possiblity that there will be a divorce.