POA are you due a refund?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I hope where the donor has died all ex-attorneys applying for a refund have sent the original of any LPAs back to the OPG with a copy of the death certificate, they return it marked 'not valid'.
Failure to have done this will upset their systems and cause delays.
Yes...thanks Nitram had read that on the OPG site that they should be notified and procedure on death of donor. The originals were then sent back to me each page marked cancelled

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I must admit I haven't returned mums. In fact I was only asking on here last week if it were ok to destroy them..glad I didn't now. I doubt it's worth returning now then waiting for it to come back before applying for the refund but if I get through next week I'll ask.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The following email just arrived. I was told that if I did not have a grant of representation, just to explain why not.

"Thank you for contacting us today about an application fee refund claim on behalf of a donor who has died.

To process this claim we will require each of the following:
  • Death certificate of the deceased donor you are claiming for
  • Grant of representation (i.e. grant of probate or letters of administration) or a Will.
We can accept the documents via email, please send them to poarefunds@justice.gsi.gov.uk or alternatively you can post photocopies to: POA Refunds Team, 7th Floor, Office of the Public Guardian, Po Box 16185 , Birmingham , B2 2WH .

On receipt of these documents we’ll contact you to complete a refund application over the phone. If you have the power of attorney documents to hand when we call this will be helpful, but don’t worry if you don’t.

Partial refunds apply to power of attorney applications to the Office of the Public Guardian (for England and Wales ) made between April 2013 and March 2017 where an application fee was paid. Partial fee refunds are due on the following for this period:
  • enduring power of attorney (EPA)
  • lasting power of attorney (LPA):
    • property and financial affairs
    • health and welfare
  • power of attorney applications that had to be resubmitted and a fee applied
  • power of attorney applications where a fee remission applied (50% fee reduction). In this instance the refund will be 50% of the total partial refund amount due.
Please get in touch, if you have any further questions.

Regards

Power of attorney refunds service
Office of the Public Guardian"

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
The following email just arrived. I was told that if I did not have a grant of representation, just to explain why not.

"Thank you for contacting us today about an application fee refund claim on behalf of a donor who has died.

• Grant of representation (i.e. grant of probate or letters of administration) or a Will.
We can accept the documents via email, please send them to poarefunds@justice.gsi.gov.uk or alternatively you can post photocopies to: POA Refunds Team, 7th Floor, Office of the Public Guardian, Po Box 16185 , Birmingham , B2 2WH .

On receipt of these documents we’ll contact you to complete a refund application over the phone. If you have the power of attorney documents to hand when we call this will be helpful, but don’t worry if you don’t.

Partial refunds apply to power of attorney applications to the Office of the Public Guardian (for England and Wales ) made between April 2013 and March 2017 where an application fee was paid. Partial fee refunds are due on the following for this period:
    • health and welfare
  • power of attorney applications where a fee remission applied (50% fee reduction). In this instance the refund will be 50% of the total partial refund amount due.

Regards

Thanks Beate...still haven't got through to a human...on the to do list for next week

BIWO

Sep 1, 2016
Bedfordshire

• health and welfare

Regards

They don't exactly make it easy for you to recover this for a deceased family member! Waiting for them to call you (what a joke)- they know who has 'passed' by the 'Tell it Once' process and given the forms you have to fill in post death re AA they know who the executors of the will are. Smacks of not wanting to pay back the money and putting some confluted process in the way, so peeps don't bother!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, the waiting for a phone call bit is a little strange but the OPG does not get informed through the Tell It Once service, plus AA has nothing to do with the OPG anyway (that would be the DWP). They don't know unless you tell them!

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Thank you Kevin. Have just done it online and it took less than 10 minutes and I got confirmation that it will be refunded by end April. Sorted!

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Just hung on the phone...started as 24 in line but got through in around 15 mins...all in hand...thanks K

Just wondering why you didnt do it on line? I cant bear hanging on the phone, it just drives me mad. Plus you usually pay for the privelege.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Just wondering why you didnt do it on line? I cant bear hanging on the phone, it just drives me mad. Plus you usually pay for the privelege.
I couldn't do it on line as it was a post death claim as dad's executor which seems daft but that's their system...phone only.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I'm a bit amazed that this refund, which I claimed easily, isn't getting more publicity. I saw a paragraph in the Sunday Times money section but so many people with PoAs are elderly, I bet a huge number won't be claiming it back, or when deceased or lacking capacity their relatives won't know about it. Thanks for starting the thread Kevini.

I also note that the money won't be paid until the 1 May. By which time my Mum may be deceased and so might the bank account the money is due to go into. I wonder how that will work. Oh well, travel hopefully.:D

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Martin Lewis has put the info in his newest weekly MSE newsletter that has just hit inboxes and is read by millions of people. Demand will therefore be high in the next days and weeks.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Martin Lewis has put the info in his newest weekly MSE newsletter that has just hit inboxes and is read by millions of people. Demand will therefore be high in the next days and weeks.

You beat me to it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Applied online 1/02/18, acknowledgement email saying will be in my account by 26/0418 at latest.

Just got (16/02/18) email saying refund approved, if not paid into my account within 10 working days contact them.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
How long is a "parking" day I love predictive texting.

Edited
I don't have predictive text, only spell check, must have made a spelling mistake and chosen the incorrect suggestion.
Can't remember doing it, shows how bad my spelling is or maybe my short term memory is worse than I thought it was.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I had to contact them by phone because it was a refund for a deceased...sent off documents and poa case number as requested...now waiting for promised phone call although to ask me what...goodness knows! o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5