So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning, Ann. Very frosty here, but there was a wonderful sunrise. I thought ‘camera!’ But before I could get up, it had passed!
The drink didn’t help me to sleep! However, enjoyed the drink, first since Christmas.
Have a good day, everyone!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Ooooh Ann your family tales are making my mouth water and my fingers itching to to hunt them down. I love a good puzzle :D

I spent all, that’s ALL, of yesterday hunting down some family members in the 1600’s, and I have found most, plus some I didn’t know about. I thanked the family name concerned, as they didn’t move around and had all their children baptised in the same church/area and the parish registers were reasonable to read. A satisfactory day

Today we are away to dau2 until Wednesday to look after grandchildren. I’m exhausted just thinking about it :D

Yuck! It’s just started sleeting. Hope it stays as sleet....

Bag humbug grrrrrr about the toiletries

No words that are allowed on here re mess left for you :( :mad:

Squishy hugs to all

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
2 Jays, I’m sure grandchildren adore you, and there will be no trouble!
Ann, forgot to say I have camera envy! Enjoy it and the new lens! I don’t use mine enough to justify having them at all, really, let alone three!
Still frosty.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Its snowing really heavily here now, Spamar - the bbc have (rather quickly) now changed the forecast from heavy rain to heavy snow until midday! Its a white out, more or less, at the moment, and the roads are alrady covered. And of course, not a sign of a gritter in the last 24 hours, so unless we get rain later, driving tomorrow is going to be horrible!

Glad you enjoyed the drink, even if it didn't help you sleep, hun x

2jays, tracing back that far is brilliant! I've managed to get back to the early 1700's with my maternal Grandmothers family, despite them moving between Manchester and Scotland over about a 25 year period - but that's the furthest I've managed. I have a pretty unusual name for the great grandmother, who is proving elusive - Thirza - and to be fair, her place of birth, on the records I have found, is consistently listed as Dorchester. But though I have found just one Thirza, who's surname matches, on birth records in that area, the DOB is out by at least 20 years on all of the many other DOB's I've found for her on census returns, her marriage certificate and death record. So, I don't see how it can be the right Thirza. As for her son - my grandfather - he seems to have vanished so thoroughly from any records (and I've trawled through passenger lists for hours too) that I'm beginning to suspect that his vanishing act may have involved a spade and some digging in Granny's garden! I know he must have been around (just) when my Mum was born in 1941, though I suppose he could have gone in late 1940, whilst Granny was expecting my Mum - but after that, as I've said - zilch. I've posted on family history sites, specific to the county where he had lived all his life up to him disappearing, which was Lancashire. I've trawled birth and death records, adding in his Dad's name(s), his Grandads names, etc., I've tried on-line parrish records and just about everything else I can think of. Really stuck now! And my uncle - well, it was only when I started the research that I discovered that he had never married the lady that I knew as my Aunt, who he had two daughters with. He was married to someone completely different and they had two sons, who's existence I had never heard of. There is also another daughter, who was brought up by his mother, and who for many years I thought was my Auntie - and he wasn't married to her Mum either. The two girls, who he had with the lady I thought was my Auntie, apparently didn't take his name - and I don't have a clue what their surname would be, though I do remember visiting them many times when I was very young. So I've hit a dead end there. Plus, his general propensity for getting in trouble with the law meant that, as I said, the family more or less cast him out, for many, many years and neither my Mum, nor any other relative would ever really give any info on him - other than my Mum commented several times that he was a 'disgrace who had lots of kids all over the shop' , and her sister made similar comments to my cousin, so we presume there may be quite a few more cousins out there, that we will probably never know about!

I hope you enjoy the time with the grandchildren, and that it doesn't wear you out too much :D

Family research on the agenda today, too - now I've sorted my camera :D I had a last minute change of heart after speaking to a couple of fellow photographers online, 3 of whom had tried both a 7D and an 8D - and suprisingly, the 7D was much preferred. So, I have found a new 7D body, within budget, and by sheer luck stumbled upon a promotion code that gave a 65% discount on the lens I want, and I managed to be one of the limited few who got there first and bought it at a huge saving. So am very happy bunny at the moment. Even more so, because OH has done a fair bit of overtime over the last few weeks, and tells me that he thinks we deserve a long weekend in the Canaries - next month! Not booked yet, half expecting hassle from dau who will want to come too - and can, IF she pays for herself - but I suspect he will have sorted something by tomorrow morning (he'll spend his break at work tonight finding what he wants) - so I had better start planning!

All I need now is for this darn cold to go, and hopefully, for the snow to go too!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Years ago, I started looking at family history, I think one of the firms was doing a free offer. The first thing I found was two girls fathered by an uncle, whose mother was not his wife! Now I knew about this, but was aware that not all the family did know. I stopped there!

Frost gone, no snow.

annebythesea

For those who are interested in genealogy, you may already know but there is a course starting on Futurelearn at the end of the month called Genealogy: Researching Your Family Tree. I did it a couple of years ago and am going to repeat it. The guidelines say 4 hours a week and you could do it in that but would miss a lot of the links which are posted by other students in the comments. I found at the time I could only do the course and not do any research, but the benefits since I went back to researching have been great. There is also a really helpful Facebook group called Friends of Genealogy Researching Your Family Tree where people will help you out and post other great links. You can do the course for free and get access for 8 weeks (it's a 6 week course) or upgrade and get it forever, but it seems quite expensive to me. I'm currently trying to figure out my great grandfather and grandmother who married in 1904 - then married again in 1937 in the Registry Office - but WHY? Possible divorce, or first marriage not legal. Other cousins waiting to be found in Ireland as he did leave home for a while and was supposed to be there?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Not for me, Annebythesea. I now leave my cousins to do it!
The saddest event, so far, is a great uncle who died a year after his 11 year old son was killed. G uncle was in a lunatic asylum miles and miles away from home. One would hope things are better these days.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Quick post

We had heavy snow this weekend, we were staying at Dufton Youth HOstel, so we could walk from youth hostel towards Dufton Pike with the toboggans, and not need to drive. Yesterday was a lovely sunny day and we walked up Cross Fell, in places the snow was mid thigh which is energy sapping.

I'll try and post and read back later.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

JM, I was going to commiserate about your snow - but it sounds as if you enjoyed it! Hope you are snug and warm now.

Ann, it sounds as if today has been a good day for you - new photographic equipment and the promise of a long weekend away! Hurrah! :) I do hope the roads are not as bad as you fear tomorrow.

2Jays, I think we will be in/on Madeira on 3rd Feb but, being a cruise, it will be just the one day there. For how long will you be there?

My SIL has done a lot of work on his mum's family tree (his father is, officially, unknown). One of my paternal relatives has done some work on theirs but, again, my father's father is unknown. I have some of the documents relating to my Mum's family but, at the moment, have no desire to do the work needed to research it!

It has been pretty wet here this weekend but, again, not terribly cold and no snow for us.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Evening all,

JM, I was going to commiserate about your snow - but it sounds as if you enjoyed it! Hope you are snug and warm now.

Ann, it sounds as if today has been a good day for you - new photographic equipment and the promise of a long weekend away! Hurrah! :) I do hope the roads are not as bad as you fear tomorrow.

2Jays, I think we will be in/on Madeira on 3rd Feb but, being a cruise, it will be just the one day there. For how long will you be there?

My SIL has done a lot of work on his mum's family tree (his father is, officially, unknown). One of my paternal relatives has done some work on theirs but, again, my father's father is unknown. I have some of the documents relating to my Mum's family but, at the moment, have no desire to do the work needed to research it!

It has been pretty wet here this weekend but, again, not terribly cold and no snow for us.

We are in Madeira afternoon of Monday 5th staying for one week

Today
Rain became sleet became snow.... a drive on motorway started with rain became sleet became snow became sleet became rain.

A roastie 7c forecast for tomorrow and fluffy pussy cats!!! Would you believe it, didn’t pack my thermal bikini :D

Silly o’clock wake up for tomorrow and I need to be running before I get out of bed...

Nite nite xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I should add, Cross Fell is the highest point in the Pennines so it will get snow when there is any about. OH said that when on each step he took the snow was coming over his knee (he is 5'11") he did realise that it was coming a lot higher up me and consequently a lot harder work (I'm 5'1")

Forecast today on the met office for where I was said snow about 10, getting heavy and turning to rain about 3, which was accurate, the BBC said rain about 3. OH was worried we would get out of the village we were in, as with the weight of the vehicle it wheel spins quite quickly. We slid out of the carpark, and then just managed to get up the hill, 3 directions out, all with hills.

Egbert Nobacon

Jan 19, 2018
I suspect you're a little like me, the physical stuff I've learned to cope with. The delusions, call them what you will, I find much more difficult, probably because they are more difficult to relate to.

I also have a (now grown-up) son with schizophrenia. When he first became ill I tried to find rational explanations for his behaviour. The people that ran the care home where he later lived told me (in the nicest possible way) that I was wasting my time. There was no real way to rationalise his behaviour because his brain no longer worked like mine (assuming I'm rational of course).

It seems to me (I know nothing) that what you are doing is absolutely spot on. You are managing the situation. The only advice I was ever given, I can't remember from where, is that you shouldn't reinforce a delusion by agreeing and, I suspect we all know this, arguing and contradicting gets you nowhere. In short (was this short?) my opinion, humble as it is, is that there's no point in worrying where these ideas come from. In the unlikely event that you make an earth-shattering discovery it won't change anything. Mind you, if you do make an earth-shattering discovery, you will let us all in on it won't you?

Very best wishes.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

2Jays - my Thirza was born - wait for it - between 1858 and 1869. And I know that's an 11 year span covering potential birth dates, but those are the different dates that are listed on the records I have found (mainly census returns) where there have been other facts included that show that despite the different dates, it was definitely my Thirza! For example, her place of birth is pretty much consistently listed as Dorchester, Oxton, on every record.

I found on the census for 1891, that she was working in a college, as a maid, in Blackpool. Her age there is given as 28, born in 1863. On the marriage certificate, (which I have a copy of) she lists the college as her place of residence - as does my Great Grandfather, her husband. She lists her age there as 25 - this was in 1894, giving her a birth year of 1869, making her 4 years older than Cyril, her husband. From this, I got the name of her Father - John. I know Cyril died in 1899, from pneumonia, (I have his death certificate), and that at that point they had two very young son's. I find her again on the 1911 census, where the names of the sons, the address, and the place of birth given, all confirm its my Thirza - she says she was born in 1861 on this census! It was from this census I found out about the illigitimate son - a boarder is listed who shares her maiden name - thinking he must be a nephew or similar, I traced him back hoping it would give me a link to her family - and it was then I discovered that he was actually her son! I think it was from records relating to his birth, that I got her dob as 1858. To cap it all, I also have found her death record - where she is listed as having been born in 1860.

Whichever the right year was, from what I can gather, Thirza had very much fallen off the popular name list by the 1850's. Even trying the different spellings, and extending my search to the whole of Britain, and covering the dates from 1855 to 1870, I can only find a handful of Thirza's born over that time span - and as far as I can tell, none of those birth records relate to my Thirza.

Its looking like we will be in the Canaries for a mini break, the week after next! Probably from the 29th/30th to the 2nd! So will miss both you and Slugsta, sadly - hope you both have a wonderful time, though xxxx

JM, glad you enjoyed the snow - my idea of hell to try and walk in it, but it does sound beautiful!

I find some of the things I discover to be really sad too, Spamar - especially the death of children. I remember my maternal Gran, who had dementia, talking about waiting for 'George' to wake up, me asking who he was and her insisting he was her baby. I didn't have an Uncle George, so put it down to the dementia - doing the research, I find there was an Uncle George, who passed away aged only 3 - so sad :(

Annebythesea - thank you for that info - will follow that up and see if I can fit it in, it sounds like it might be really helpful :) You never know, it might lead to me tracking down the elusive Thirza's bith records, and help me take her line further back!

Hi Egbert (love the name!) - welcome to TP, though I am sorry that you have had to find us x yes, the delusions are the hardest part - so many are paranoid or upsetting to Mil in some way. Avoiding re-enforcing a delusion, whilst also being advised to not contradict it was always a tricky balancing act - not easy at all. And yes, it probably doesn't help to know where these delusions spring from - just my curiosity made me wonder :)

Right - time to get sorted for work.

Have a good day, everyone xxxx

Last edited:

Egbert Nobacon

Jan 19, 2018
Morning everyone,

2Jays - my Thirza was born - wait for it - between 1858 and 1869. And I know that's an 11 year span covering potential birth dates, but those are the different dates that are listed on the records I have found (mainly census returns) where there have been other facts included that show that despite the different dates, it was definitely my Thirza! For example, her place of birth is pretty much consistently listed as Dorchester, Oxton, on every record.

I found on the census for 1891, that she was working in a college, as a maid, in Blackpool. Her age there is given as 28, born in 1863. On the marriage certificate, (which I have a copy of) she lists the college as her place of residence - as does my Great Grandfather, her husband. She lists her age there as 25 - this was in 1894, giving her a birth year of 1869, making her 4 years older than Cyril, her husband. From this, I got the name of her Father - John. I know Cyril died in 1899, from pneumonia, (I have his death certificate), and that at that point they had two very young son's. I find her again on the 1911 census, where the names of the sons, the address, and the place of birth given, all confirm its my Thirza - she says she was born in 1861 on this census! It was from this census I found out about the illigitimate son - a boarder is listed who shares her maiden name - thinking he must be a nephew or similar, I traced him back hoping it would give me a link to her family - and it was then I discovered that he was actually her son! I think it was from records relating to his birth, that I got her dob as 1858. To cap it all, I also have found her death record - where she is listed as having been born in 1860.

Whichever the right year was, from what I can gather, Thirza had very much fallen off the popular name list by the 1950's. Even trying the different spellings, and extending my search to the whole of Britain, and covering the dates from 1855 to 1870, I can only find a handful of Thirza's born over that time span - and as far as I can tell, none of those birth records relate to my Thirza.

Its looking like we will be in the Canaries for a mini break, the week after next! Probably from the 29th/30th to the 2nd! So will miss both you and Slugsta, sadly - hope you both have a wonderful time, though xxxx

JM, glad you enjoyed the snow - my idea of hell to try and walk in it, but it does sound beautiful!

I find some of the things I discover to be really sad too, Spamar - especially the death of children. I remember my maternal Gran, who had dementia, talking about waiting for 'George' to wake up, me asking who he was and her insisting he was her baby. I didn't have an Uncle George, so put it down to the dementia - doing the research, I find there was an Uncle George, who passed away aged only 3 - so sad :(

Annebythesea - thank you for that info - will follow that up and see if I can fit it in, it sounds like it might be really helpful :) You never know, it might lead to me tracking down the elusive Thirza's bith records, and help me take her line further back!

Hi Egbert (love the name!) - welcome to TP, though I am sorry that you have had to find us x yes, the delusions are the hardest part - so many are paranoid or upsetting to Mil in some way. Avoiding re-enforcing a delusion, whilst also being advised to not contradict it was always a tricky balancing act - not easy at all. And yes, it probably doesn't help to know where these delusions spring from - just my curiosity made me wonder :)

Right - time to get sorted for work.

Have a good day, everyone xxxx

My favourite Uncle used to call me Egbert Nobacon when I was little approximately 150 years ago. He also used to look down and say 'your mum's not been telling me the truth, she said you'd grown another foot'. That's a joke that no longer works in this metric age!

My wife and I also got into family history very heavily. Not an inexpensive hobby if you start sending for certificates but we loved it. In fact, it inspired my wife to write her own life story which we had printed and bound for her children. As I say, not cheap, but very satisfying. We even discovered a murder in the 1930's when a cousin tried to kill herself and her daughter. The daughter died but the mother survived. We got all of the background from the local papers of the time and it was a very sad story.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks Amethyst and Slugsta - it's god to know I'm not boring the pants off you all :D

My favourite Uncle used to call me Egbert Nobacon when I was little approximately 150 years ago. He also used to look down and say 'your mum's not been telling me the truth, she said you'd grown another foot'. That's a joke that no longer works in this metric age!

My wife and I also got into family history very heavily. Not an inexpensive hobby if you start sending for certificates but we loved it. In fact, it inspired my wife to write her own life story which we had printed and bound for her children. As I say, not cheap, but very satisfying. We even discovered a murder in the 1930's when a cousin tried to kill herself and her daughter. The daughter died but the mother survived. We got all of the background from the local papers of the time and it was a very sad story.

Lol - I had also had a (great) uncle who used to say the 'grown another foot' joke :)

The story of the cousin who tried to kill herself, and actually killed her child, sounds so tragic. Sometimes, you uncover things that are so sad.

I agree with it being an expensive hobby - mainly I find its the cost of the research sites. Just occasionally I treat myself to a copy of a certificate, if I am able to get an exact date for an event, then I'll get a birth or marriage certificate, often just to get the name of the parent(s) of one of my ancestors - that was the main reason for getting Thirza and Cyril's wedding certificate, I hoped for the name of Thirza's father. And it was given on the certificate - unfortunately, his name was John, which isn't exactly an uncommon name and didn't really take me any further forward in finding out more about Thirza or her relatives.

I love the idea of a life story book for your wife - what a fabulous thing to have for her children! Mine are fascinated by the research I'm doing - with one or two ancestors, I've typed out a few pages about things I've discovered about them, and added them to the huge file I have and I think that its the day to day facts, the little details, that are probably the most interesting thing about the research for me.

Well - we've booked a break. 4 nights in Tenerife, from next Monday! And - wait for it - its just me and OH! It's going to be very strange (but actually quite nice) for it just to be him and me - we haven't had more than a night away without the kids since before the oldest was born. Never been to Teneriffe, and hoping its as nice as Fuerteventura!

Today, it's admin this morning, a flying visit to drop off Mil's toiletries during my lunch break, then a meet with my steering group to go over how far we have got with the plans for the 3 peaks and a few other things. A long day, today, and as I am shooting off next week, a lot of stuff I simply have to do, which will probably mean a lot of extra hours this week. I'll just fix my mind on the break, and plod on!

Have a good day everyone xxxx

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, a break, just for the two of you, that's fabulous! You might get to talk to each other and not have teenage strops to deal with. Can you imagine?

I am also very interested, and not in the least bored, by the genealogy research.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B