You couldn't make it up!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
We've been on the roller coaster of UTIs again. I mentioned to the care home staff last Monday that I thought he was brewing another UTI, then on Tuesday OH was bright as a button and walking pretty well so deemed not symptomatic, on Wednesday he had a fall, no serious damage but also some signs of delirium, seeing people who weren't there etc. Also told his wee was very cloudy. Yesterday asked if GP had been called but still told he was not symptomatic. Today he was very grumpy and confused so asked again about GP as didn't want it left till after Christmas. Anyway then went off to church with daughter and granddaughter and on arriving home had loads of missed calls from Care Home and Dr. Upshot was that GP had been called, agreed OH had a UTI and at 5.30pm had called to ask me to pick up a prescription before 6.00. I didn't pick up the message till 6.30. However fortunately the care home had used their common sense and sent someone to get the prescription so hopefully B will be feeling a bit better tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Glad you were on the ball and picked it up Jinx. These infections are horrid.
My husband was just coming to the end of a course of antibiotics and seemed loads better, then today he has started with the same symptoms again, lower back pain and loss of appetite. GP has given me a prescription for 5 more day AB's to make sure he's over it.
Hope Bernard starts improving soon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Glad you were on the ball and picked it up Jinx. These infections are horrid.
My husband was just coming to the end of a course of antibiotics and seemed loads better, then today he has started with the same symptoms again, lower back pain and loss of appetite. GP has given me a prescription for 5 more day AB's to make sure he's over it.
Hope Bernard starts improving soon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope the extra ABs work for your husband Es. xxxxxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Thanks Jinx, he seems a lot better, he slept most of yesterday but got up late afternoon.
Hope Bernard is picking up too.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Bernard was back to having to be hoisted this morning as unable to stand even with support of two carers. He hardly ate any lunch, not even much pudding which is usually a given. He is getting so thin, I think I must ask about giving him supplements. He had. O recollection of seeing us yesterday or even being aware that it was Christmas.

I sort of feel guilty as I had a lovely day with my two daughters, their partners and four grandchildren, and I know if Bernard had been with us he wouldn't have been able to tolerate the little ones for long and we would have had to leave, but we all missed him, our first Christmas apart for 43 years. xxxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Jinx, feeling the same as you, first Christmas after 55yrs together, it is heartbreaking, hubby was so awful yesterday run after me when l left wanted to come home with me, makes me feel so bad. I am pleased this time of the year is almost over, bless you

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Oh Pam so sorry your husband gets so upset. Bernard, bless him, is so poorly at the moment I don't think he even realises it's been Christmas, but he's very good about me leaving, today when I said I was going he just said 'that's regretful but I'm sure my boss will have plenty for me to do'. do hope things improve for you, you must dread visiting. xxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello Jinx, just popping in to see how you are? Have not caught up with your thread yet but hoping Bernhard is as good as he can be ?! Hoping the new year will be much kinder to you both. Lots of love and hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hello Jinx, just popping in to see how you are? Have not caught up with your thread yet but hoping Bernhard is as good as he can be ?! Hoping the new year will be much kinder to you both. Lots of love and hugs xxxx

Hi Chick, I'm OK thank you although it's been strange not having Bernard at home for Christmas. Knowing that, on the whole, it has all passed him by without him really grasping what was going on, whilst sad, has kind of made it easier to cope with.

Yesterday he refused to get up so when I went to visit at tea time he was still in bed. The staff said they had asked several times if he wanted to get up and dressed but he was quite happy. He didn't seem to be in much pain though his back is a constant source of discomfort. He was talking a lot about his Mum and Dad coming and for the first time since he's been in the CH he said he wanted to come out with me. I said I had to go and babysit for the grandchildren and he accepted that. He wasn't agitated at all. I know they can't/won't force him to get up but I hope he wants to today as I don't think it will do him much good, his mobility is already very poor.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi Chick, I'm OK thank you although it's been strange not having Bernard at home for Christmas. Knowing that, on the whole, it has all passed him by without him really grasping what was going on, whilst sad, has kind of made it easier to cope with.

Yesterday he refused to get up so when I went to visit at tea time he was still in bed. The staff said they had asked several times if he wanted to get up and dressed but he was quite happy. He didn't seem to be in much pain though his back is a constant source of discomfort. He was talking a lot about his Mum and Dad coming and for the first time since he's been in the CH he said he wanted to come out with me. I said I had to go and babysit for the grandchildren and he accepted that. He wasn't agitated at all. I know they can't/won't force him to get up but I hope he wants to today as I don't think it will do him much good, his mobility is already very poor.

Morning Jinx :) happy new year . It must be strange being without Bernhard over the festive season and my heart goes out to you . It is good to hear Bernhard accepts where he is and seems comfortable . Sorry to hear about his back pain as it can be so uncomfortable and extremely painful bless. Here's hoping Bernhard will be up and about today . Much love to you both xxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Yesterday Bernard was up and dressed and had been since 6.30am apparently. He was on good form, enjoying banter with the carers and saying how nice it was there although he did think he'd only just arrived! On the downside his ABs finished yesterday but it looks as though the UTI is still present and GP to be consulted again.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Jinx

Emerging from the bathroom tonight with wet patches on his trousers OH says "there's something between my legs that makes me very wet". I pointed out the obvious to which he responded rather crossly,"well I know that but why have I got wet trousers?" Somewhat at a loss after that to explain!

my husband has the same problem and it takes ages to persuade him to change clothes. He denies his clothes are wet and can also become angry when I try to help him. I would appreciate any help.

missmo

Feb 26, 2011
Cheshire
Ive had a horrible time with OH over last few weeks, he was ok in November he could write his name in a fashion now he cant, neither can he get all his words out and the last two weeks he has been forgetting how to use the toilet, I wipe his bum when I can but when he is left with other people we cant expect them to do that, but he has started to sit too far back on seat and as you can imagine makes a terrible mess I'm now a prisoner. Strange though he does still seem to be able to understand but seems to have lost his common sense eg like the toilet issues, I would have thought when he had this type of accident he would ask for help but he continued to try to wipe and it was everywhere. I am getting so frustrated all I want him to do is ask for help.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Pete went through a phases of having a wee standing up and pooing at the same time.:eek: I didn't know whether to stand front or back!

Thanks Lyn, that explains the mystery of what I found in the middle of the downstairs loo carpet the day before yesterday....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65