But oh those lonely nights .........

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I can now play 6 chords - at this rate, I might be on Britain's Got Talent next year. :) Another lesson tomorrow. I played today "Nothing cold be finer, than to be in Carolina, in the mor-or-or-ning", "King of the Road", and "Are You Lonesome Tinight" (yes, sadly :(), to a neighbour who visited today.

We only had about half a dozen long pauses between key changes!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You're making rapid progress Scarlett. Was the neighbour suitably impressed? It's important to have encouragement with these things.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s brilliant Scarlett.

I once tried to learn to play the guitar and my left hand was so tense changing the chords I had shooting pains up my arm.
Needless to say I didn`t make it.

Your repertoire is impressive, especially after such a short time. :)

I`m off to the singing group this morning, I can hardly call it a choir. We sing King of the road so perhaps we`ll start a TP music group of our own.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
It`s brilliant Scarlett.

I once tried to learn to play the guitar and my left hand was so tense changing the chords I had shooting pains up my arm.
Needless to say I didn`t make it.

Your repertoire is impressive, especially after such a short time. :)

I`m off to the singing group this morning, I can hardly call it a choir. We sing King of the road so perhaps we`ll start a TP music group of our own.

Juan was amazed at my progress. :D Apparently, I'm the oldest student he's ever had, and he was impressed how I'd modified some chords to accommodate my arthritic fingers. We played King of the Road, together, and then he gave me a chart with another 6 chords, and ............ wait for it ................ we played "When You're Smiling"!!!! :D:D:D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Royal Command Performance, here you come! :-D

Wouldn't that be nice. Or, rather ......ow woo ........ dnt it be luverley :D So, yes, I just had to try that one out! Got in a muddle with the middle 8 ............................ :( Best leave the RCP for a year or 2 LadyA ;)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hey Scarlett. We have a music festival in our village at the moment and our Com Choir sang this p.m followed by our local ukulele group (marvellous). Great fun. Thought of you. xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hey Scarlett. We have a music festival in our village at the moment and our Com Choir sang this p.m followed by our local ukulele group (marvellous). Great fun. Thought of you. xxx

I'm having to adjust my fingers to play certain chords, as though I'm doing this in the hope of keeping my arthritic fingers flexible, I have to stop when I feel pain. But it's great fun!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
For the past 2 weeks, my daily bath has taken over an hour. And that's just to run the water! The hot tap was dribbling out, and as the plumber opposite had the cheek to go on holiday (!), I would run the bath, checking every few minutes that it hadn't suddenly spurted. I have to fill it, as I have a bath lift, and it took sooooo long.

He came over this morning, and tried adjusting valves, and other things that are completely foreign to me, and then said he was going into the loft to look at The Tank. This sounded ominous. :( And 2 minutes later, I heard him shout out. :eek: I was so worried that he'd fallen through!

But no, he was just delighted to have found the problem. Apparently, there was a thin piece of wood, over the tank, and then lagging on top of that. But the wood had rotted, fallen in, and so had the lagging - thereby blocking the "flow".

I had been mentally calculating the cost of whatever was wrong, and to know it wasn't something major was such a relief. And this morning, the grass was cut 5 minutes before the heavens opened, for a short but heavy shower, so I'm feeling doubly thrilled. :)

Doesn't take much to thrill me these days. :D

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
For the past 2 weeks, my daily bath has taken over an hour. And that's just to run the water! The hot tap was dribbling out, and as the plumber opposite had the cheek to go on holiday (!), I would run the bath, checking every few minutes that it hadn't suddenly spurted. I have to fill it, as I have a bath lift, and it took sooooo long.

He came over this morning, and tried adjusting valves, and other things that are completely foreign to me, and then said he was going into the loft to look at The Tank. This sounded ominous. :( And 2 minutes later, I heard him shout out. :eek: I was so worried that he'd fallen through!

But no, he was just delighted to have found the problem. Apparently, there was a thin piece of wood, over the tank, and then lagging on top of that. But the wood had rotted, fallen in, and so had the lagging - thereby blocking the "flow".

I had been mentally calculating the cost of whatever was wrong, and to know it wasn't something major was such a relief. And this morning, the grass was cut 5 minutes before the heavens opened, for a short but heavy shower, so I'm feeling doubly thrilled. :)

Doesn't take much to thrill me these days. :D
It is those things though - they bring such relief to us!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
It is those things though - they bring such relief to us!

Yes, ridiculously so in my case. :) I the last few weeks, I've had the dodgy curtain rail replaced, the bath tap problem sorted out, started my ukulele lessons, had the car serviced, and sorted out some more of John's things for the charity shop, and delivered them, and dug over, and de-weeded a large flower bed.

I'd kept some of John's winter jackets, thinking I could wear them in the garden, but they swamped me! Hope they'll do someone a good turn.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, ridiculously so in my case. :) I the last few weeks, I've had the dodgy curtain rail replaced, the bath tap problem sorted out, started my ukulele lessons, had the car serviced, and sorted out some more of John's things for the charity shop, and delivered them, and dug over, and de-weeded a large flower bed.

I'd kept some of John's winter jackets, thinking I could wear them in the garden, but they swamped me! Hope they'll do someone a good turn.

I kept William's Winter jacket too, for wearing in the garden. It is very big, but wonderfully comforting and cozy. And -joy of joys - has an inside, zip-up pocket, so I won't lose my phone or keys! :)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
You two fill me with warmth. Sorry, that sounds silly but reading your posts makes me hope I can be as strong if and when the time comes. xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You two fill me with warmth. Sorry, that sounds silly but reading your posts makes me hope I can be as strong if and when the time comes. xxx

Sweetie, we all find strength in different ways. I believe John, William and Fred all went to Residential Care about the same time, but there is absolutely no way that we have any idea how long they'll be there for.

I was so pleased to see the photos of Fred with his "baby", the same way I was pleased to see Pam's Ed, looking happy and relaxed in his new surroundings. In John's case, once he'd had 3 lots of UTIs in succession, couldn't walk, talk, eat or recognise me, and was just a shell, I felt relief that he had escaped the agony and torture he must have experienced.

By this stage, I wasn't a good visitor, because I just didn't know what to say, or do, and my distress was clear for anyone to see. Yes, anyone could see, except John. He just looked vacantly through me. I like to think that I was a good wife, and I'm now trying to be a good widow, if there's such a thing!

My only regret is that this damned arthritis slows me down, and prevents me from doing as much as I'd like. My biggest dread is that the stalwart friends, who kept in touch with me, during the whole time John was at home, will not want to keep company with a misery. So I reserve those times for when I'm home, and nail my smile on when I'm with others.

And I'm pleased to say, I'm not having to do anywhere near as much nailing as I used to! How is Fred doing sweetie?

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Glad about the nailing, so terribly painful darling
Your indomitable spirit will keep your true friends. Not to mention your way with words!